Derek Cornelius

Grizzly

On 7/13/2021 at 6:52 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Radzinski was at Xanthi for a season or two. They must pay fairly well, but as is said, there is a big dropoff from Olympiakos and AEK, then PAOK, and the rest.

PAOK knocked Besiktas out of CL in a qualifying round last August.

Greek league, like seen with the national team, tends to be lower scoring, rather defensive as is, and not very open in attack. 

From what I hear, the Greek Super league is highly corrupt.  Olympiakos and PAOK - the 2 current Kings, have a large influence on many of the smaller clubs (apparently Panetolikos is influenced by PAOK).  I can recall last season, Lamia (during Manjrekar James’ loan) sent out a mostly reserve squad in an important cup game when they faced PAOK for no logical reason.  The PAOK owner Savvidis (Russian with Greek heritage), who has strong ties to Putin, once stormed the playing field carrying a gun because he was unhappy about a late goal against his team. The FA often has to bring in foreign refs for important matches due to known biases.  Officials have been attacked in their homes by fan groups after unpopular decisions.  

44 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

From what I hear, the Greek Super league is highly corrupt.  Olympiakos and PAOK - the 2 current Kings, have a large influence on many of the smaller clubs (apparently Panetolikos is influenced by PAOK).  I can recall last season, Lamia (during Manjrekar James’ loan) sent out a mostly reserve squad in an important cup game when they faced PAOK for no logical reason.  The PAOK owner Savvidis (Russian with Greek heritage), who has strong ties to Putin, once stormed the playing field carrying a gun because he was unhappy about a late goal against his team. The FA often has to bring in foreign refs for important matches due to known biases.  Officials have been attacked in their homes by fan groups after unpopular decisions.  

I think you probably meant to say it is "highly passionate". 

Seriously, I have heard of how contracts used to be in Greece, where you were officially paid one quantity but got another hefty part under the table. A lot of word of mouth deals and other perks to compensate. 

But I think it was the same in Spain up to around 2005. I would not be surprised if a certain Canadian at Depor benefited from such as system. Which would help explain why he was so grossly overpaid by TFC when his official salary expectations would have been far lower. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think you probably meant to say it is "highly passionate". 

Seriously, I have heard of how contracts used to be in Greece, where you were officially paid one quantity but got another hefty part under the table. A lot of word of mouth deals and other perks to compensate. 

But I think it was the same in Spain up to around 2005. I would not be surprised if a certain Canadian at Depor benefited from such as system. Which would help explain why he was so grossly overpaid by TFC when his official salary expectations would have been far lower. 

From hearsay I heard that Julian was not necessarily super interested in TFC's initial interest, but decided to entertain the pitch. When TFC gave him the initial salary offer, he was very surprised at how high it was and (obviously) decided to accept.

3 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

good experience for Concacaf

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately for Derek, the beginning of the Super League, which was to have begun this weekend, has been postponed for administrative purposes.

This, for the Super League, is normal.  No official reason has been given (also normal) but speculation is that not all 14 clubs have finalized their TV contracts for the upcoming season.  As a result, the league will not begin its season until August 28-29, or more likely September 11-12 which is after the international break.

Based on his preseason play, I was expecting him to be his club's starting LCB, and he possibly would have been in good form if Herdman wanted to add some more depth to the backline. 😞 

Cornelius played 90 minutes in an impressive 2-1 away win against Panathinaikos in a friendly that was recently organized due to the postponement of the beginning of the season.

There is speculation now that the start of the season will only be postponed for one week and Matchday 1 will take place next weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had an opportunity to watch most of all of his matches thus far with Panetolikos.  I am happy to say it appears his club has written his name into Starting XI with ink, so I do expect him to see action every week which is obviously better than sitting on the bench or "taxi squad" in Vancouver.

I think he's played well overall but has had some issues with positioning.  Hopefully, he will be able to adjust that as he gets more used to his teammates.  What I do like about him is he does very well to remain standing when defending and is not diving all over the place to make the tackle.  He also always has his head up with the ball looking to make the forward pass and does try to find opportunities to dribble up field if it's there on occasion. 🙂 

3 hours ago, Metro said:

I've had an opportunity to watch most of all of his matches thus far with Panetolikos.  I am happy to say it appears his club has written his name into Starting XI with ink, so I do expect him to see action every week which is obviously better than sitting on the bench or "taxi squad" in Vancouver.

I think he's played well overall but has had some issues with positioning.  Hopefully, he will be able to adjust that as he gets more used to his teammates.  What I do like about him is he does very well to remain standing when defending and is not diving all over the place to make the tackle.  He also always has his head up with the ball looking to make the forward pass and does try to find opportunities to dribble up field if it's there on occasion. 🙂 

Thanks for this.  It certainly sounds like he will benefit a lot from regular playing time.  Given his prominent role in our Olympic qualification team, his development could be a pretty big piece of the puzzle going forward.  

15 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Thanks for this.  It certainly sounds like he will benefit a lot from regular playing time.  Given his prominent role in our Olympic qualification team, his development could be a pretty big piece of the puzzle going forward.  

He hasn't played a part yet in WCQ and never took part in Gold Cup 21, but he still has as many caps as Johnston, a player who's been there every step of the way. So if we can get him going it's pretty significant.

• 2 weeks later...

Cornelius played 90' in Panetolikos' 3-1 at home to AEK yesterday.

If he sees action this weekend, I will be slightly concerned of his ability to clear crosses in the air away from goal.  I watched the first half of this match and the two goals AEK scored in the half came from crosses into boxes headed in by players directly behind Cornelius.  He's been victimized this way in a previous match as well. 😞  

I am guessing Jamaica and Panama at least will be bombing the ball in...

Edit: The highlights.  On closer inspection, might not be as bad as I thought.  Also, Cornelius was a "fingertip" away from getting his 1st goal in the 78th. 🙂 

Edited by Metro

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

An update on Cornelius' situation.  Panetolikos as been hit with COVID as two matches in the past week have been postponed, including today's match.  I can't find if Cornelius contracted the virus, but at least 10 players and 3 coaches did, so it is very possible.

Last Wednesday's match vs. PAOK has been re-scheduled for this Wednesday.  A good test for Cornelius if it does happen.

4 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

https://twitter.com/Canucks_Abroad/status/1483822469882466321?t=peHe0I08TMaIJPKlC_enxQ&s=19

Not sure what is going on but Pantelikos just beat AEK and Olympiakos in back to back games

When you look at where other Canadian players with similar resumes have wound up (Fraser to Belgium D2, Bair to Norway D2) it's pretty impressive that he's been able to go to the Greek league and be a consistent starter. Hopefully a permanent move can be worked out.