Derek Cornelius

Grizzly

• 2 weeks later...

Did not expect that, as if playing as a striker. Must have been a transition of some sort, like a few plays after an attacking corner, and he was still up in the box. 

Not entirely sure but I think the bottom 8 in the 14-team league now do a play-out round. They keep their league points, and play 7 matches in total. The bottom team relegates and the 2nd to last goes into a relegation playoff. 

As Panetelikos sit 9th, missing the top 6 championship round by 5 points, it is almost impossible for them to relegate. Teams 9-12 play 3 games at home, the lower teams play 4.

16 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Did not expect that, as if playing as a striker. Must have been a transition of some sort, like a few plays after an attacking corner, and he was still up in the box. 

Not entirely sure but I think the bottom 8 in the 14-team league now do a play-out round. They keep their league points, and play 7 matches in total. The bottom team relegates and the 2nd to last goes into a relegation playoff. 

As Panetelikos sit 9th, missing the top 6 championship round by 5 points, it is almost impossible for them to relegate. Teams 9-12 play 3 games at home, the lower teams play 4.

This is correct.  While the top 6 in the playoff play each other twice, the bottom 8 in the "play-out" play each other once.

Essentially, Panetolikos' season is done for reasons mentioned by UT.  If by chance we see Cornelius benched for a couple of matches, it will likely be due to the team wishing to play younger players in preparation for the next season.

Incredible form as of late, really made the most of his opportunity in Greece.

This young man has definitely had some ups and downs but has never given up and continues to always put his head down and DO WORK.

Really hard not to like this young man.  Still only 24 which is tons of room to improve and get even better.

Looking forward to watch him in the next WCQ cycle. 

21 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Cornelius played most of his youth soccer as a striker, similar to Vitoria. In fact, I don't think he made the switch until he went to VfB Lubeck, but don't quote me on that.

26 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Does anyone know if the voting concluded yet? Did Cornelius win? Would love to see him add that accolade to his resume. 

IIRC it was for player of the month, so the results for those votes are likely to be released 1st week of April (from what I can determine from the League's website).

22 minutes ago, Metro said:

IIRC it was for player of the month, so the results for those votes are likely to be released 1st week of April (from what I can determine from the League's website).

Player of the month of February I'm pretty sure. 

They tend to announce it 10-14 days into the next month. Last month's was the Olympiakos keeper Vaclik.

So vote y'all, every bit helps.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, narduch said:

Could be moving to Hungary 

That would be a solid move. Slight step down in terms of league level, perhaps, but he'll be with the giants of Hungary and would certainly be playing alongside other internationals. A quick look at their roster shows players with caps for Ukraine, Morocco, Norway, Bosnia, Nigeria, Slovenia and of course, Hungary.

Fun fact, former Seattle Sounder Henry Wingo plays there too (and does so regularly, to my surprise). This is also the club that reportedly wanted Adekugbe before he moved to Turkey.

They are running away with the league again, so they'll enter CL first round qualifying next season. 

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

That would be a solid move. Slight step down in terms of league level, perhaps, but he'll be with the giants of Hungary and would certainly be playing alongside other internationals. A quick look at their roster shows players with caps for Ukraine, Morocco, Norway, Bosnia, Nigeria, Slovenia and of course, Hungary.

Fun fact, former Seattle Sounder Henry Wingo plays there too (and does so regularly, to my surprise). This is also the club that reportedly wanted Adekugbe before he moved to Turkey.

They are running away with the league again, so they'll enter CL first round qualifying next season. 

High praise for him if my Google translate is accurate. Anyone follow this club enough to know if he would feature regularly?

3 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

High praise for him if my Google translate is accurate. Anyone follow this club enough to know if he would feature regularly?

I don't, but here are the CBs currently at the club (from most to least minutes):

Miha Blazic

Sammy Mmaee 

Adnan Kovacevic

Lasha Dvali

There looks to be a realistic path into the team. The only left-footed CB played less than 400 minutes this season, often times not even making the bench. FWIW the other players look to have played both left and right CB spots. This could be why they'd be looking for a dedicated left-footed CB like Cornelius, who is younger than all of these options as well. 

For comparison, his current market value is 700k and he's played 2672 minutes this season, in Greece of course (arguably a higher level, perhaps slightly). Derek has played 14 times for Canada.

Edited by Obinna

22 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

19 hours ago, Obinna said:

I don't, but here are the CBs currently at the club (from most to least minutes):

Miha Blazic

Sammy Mmaee 

Adnan Kovacevic

Lasha Dvali

There looks to be a realistic path into the team. The only left-footed CB played less than 400 minutes this season, often times not even making the bench. FWIW the other players look to have played both left and right CB spots. This could be why they'd be looking for a dedicated left-footed CB like Cornelius, who is younger than all of these options as well. 

For comparison, his current market value is 700k and he's played 2672 minutes this season, in Greece of course (arguably a higher level, perhaps slightly). Derek has played 14 times for Canada.

Don't follow the Hungarian league, but my admittedly uninformed gut feel tells me it's unlikely that even a top team there has the money to pay transfer fees north of 500K EUR on any player they don't intend on starting regularly.

https://hungarytoday.hu/salary-cap-squad-limits-nb1-mlsz-hungarian-football/

https://www.salaryexpert.com/salary/job/football-player/hungary

Some quick google searching suggests average yearly Hungarian league footballer earns about 10K EUR per year. There might be other incentives on top of that, and I'm sure Ferencvaros significantly bring up the average, but still.

33 minutes ago, A_Gagne said:

Don't follow the Hungarian league, but my admittedly uninformed gut feel tells me it's unlikely that even a top team there has the money to pay transfer fees north of 500K EUR on any player they don't intend on starting regularly.

Anyone know what the option to buy price is on Cornelius?