Derek Cornelius

Grizzly

19 hours ago, Obinna said:

Anyone know what the option to buy price is on Cornelius?

According to the article, it's 400K euros.

I would hold off on doing the heavy research on Cornelius moving to Ferencvaros.  Rumours like these are a dime a dozen in Greek sports media.  The article even states that this is just ONE option to consider.  The other is to expand the loan for another 6 months.  (It also says that the move to Ferencvaros move was also considered during the January window.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

He is in preseason training and played ½ a preseason match for Panetolikos yesterday.
https://www.panetolikos.gr/proto-filiko-me-itta/

Reminder that his loan expires at the end of the calendar year but Panetolikos have an option to buy his contract.
Otherwise the Whitecaps have an option on him for 2023.
https://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/derek-cornelius-contract-extension-loan

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, pod818 said:

Started today and played 90' in a 1-1 tie against Atromitos. He didn't see much time during WCQ, and I'm not sure how Herdman rates him,  but he has been getting consistent playing time, and seems to do well with it. He should move ahead of Henry

Problem is that he is a LCB and Henry is a RCB

Edited by An Observer

13 hours ago, pod818 said:

Started today and played 90' in a 1-1 tie against Atromitos. He didn't see much time during WCQ, and I'm not sure how Herdman rates him,  but he has been getting consistent playing time, and seems to do well with it. He should move ahead of Henry

Herdman chose Cornelius as one of the overage players/mentors for our last Olympic qualifying squad.  I think that showed that he respected the player.  I feel pretty good about Herdman giving Cornelius fair consideration.

38 minutes ago, rkomar said:

Herdman chose Cornelius as one of the overage players/mentors for our last Olympic qualifying squad.  I think that showed that he respected the player.  I feel pretty good about Herdman giving Cornelius fair consideration.

Herdman isn't the Olympic team coach. That's Biello.

17 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Herdman isn't the Olympic team coach. That's Biello.

Oops!  You are right.  On top of that, Cornelius wasn't overage at the time (I thought I heard the commentator say that during a game, but I must be misremembering that).  I guess my feeling that Cornelius will get a fair shake is built on shaky ground.

Cornelius played every game during GC 2019 and paired Vitoria in that big win vs USA at BMO in CNL all under JH. Just think  Miller has jumped ahead at LCB.  I still expect him to be there for Qatar. He's been playing every game since he moved to Greece plus Kennedy and Henry have not been playing much. Don't known if he has ever played as a RCB though.

14 hours ago, An Observer said:

Problem is that he is a LCB and Henry is a RCB

Picking an ideally-footed player for every position in your lineup is a luxury, not a necessity.   Sure, it's great if you can do that. 

But what's more important is to first concentrate on getting the best players out on the field though. Gimme the best CB's available with great defensive instincts, positioning & reading of the game. Being a good/great passer ain't worth a shit if you aren't doing your main job of defending. 

After that, (or if things are really close between a couple of players) then I might consider which is his stronger foot. 

6 minutes ago, Acid-Tone said:

Picking an ideally-footed player for every position in your lineup is a luxury, not a necessity.   Sure, it's great if you can do that. 

But what's more important is to first concentrate on getting the best players out on the field though. Gimme the best CB's available with great defensive instincts, positioning & reading of the game. Being a good/great passer ain't worth a shit if you aren't doing your main job of defending. 

After that, (or if things are really close between a couple of players) then I might consider which is his stronger foot. 

I think that it is not as important when it's two CBs in a back four but a little more signicant in a back three where the outside CB might be out wider and has to use his weaker foot more for the build up progressive passing.  That none of Miller, Kennedy, nor Cornelius has been started at RCB in a back three (might be wrong on this point) means to me that it is a factor for the coaching staff.

For me, Cornelius is sixth on our backline - meaning second off the bench. In the 11 are Adekugbe, Miller, Vitoria and Laryea. Then Johnston (feel insane putting him on the bench) and Cornelius after that. I'm hopeful about Kennedy as well. Made such an impact and impression early on. I think he still has something to offer. 

I feel this is a pretty solid group of backs.

Edit: Forgot to add Waterman in eighth - maybe competing for seventh. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...