Marcelo Flores

SoccerJedi

Days like this make me wonder if Canada was ever close to landing Landon Donovan. His father was from out east... On the other hand the US born Jonathan David chose to stay loyal to Canada even after Tab Ramos pursued him and that has turned out well. This dual national game is such a crap shoot sometimes, enjoy who Canada has and not who they don't. This team is in pretty good shape, just enjoy it. 

my god you do not need to post a four panel announcement letter to announce that you are choosing the NT that you have all but committed to before especially when you haven’t played a single professional game yet. He definitely doesn’t need to justify why he chose Mexico- it’s what he wants, so be it. 

anyways, looking forward to seeing his trajectory over the next few years. Like I’ve said a bunch of time, at the same age, Liam Millar was playing for Liverpool, and the fine player he is, he’s not a guy we’d spend years crying over if he capped for another country. I’ve barely heard anything about Flores aside from the fact that he’s at Arsenal’s academy- there’s no telling if he’ll be playing for them next season or if they’ll loan him off to an easier league. 

9 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Days like this make me wonder if Canada was ever close to landing Landon Donovan. His father was from out east... On the other hand the US born Jonathan David chose to stay loyal to Canada even after Tab Ramos pursued him and that has turned out well. This dual national game is such a crap shoot sometimes, enjoy who Canada has and not who they don't. This team is in pretty good shape, just enjoy it. 

On the other hand, Ike Ugbo released a statement almost 8 months ago to the date on why he is committing to play for Nigeria, the team he and his family rooted for as a boy. And now he’s one of Canada’s most promising young talents, despite him having deeper ties to both England and nigeria than he does Canada. With the lack of soccer media in our country, it’s so hard to understand where the players minds are vs the NBA for example where pretty much every thought a player has is immediately “leaked” to the league. I don’t even know if we ever got an explanation for why Ugbo chose us over nigeria. 

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

I suspect that with 5 games in the coming 4 weeks, Marcelo might feature in a couple of those before heading to the U20 tournament.  As great as his father was to youth soccer in Ontario, I do believe he handled this whole process poorly.  

Both Herdman and Tata handled the circus perfectly in my opinion.  The ultimatum on going to world cup failed miserably for his side and I think he realized that so he went out and showed he was committed to Mexico.

I would not have wanted Herdman to handle this any differently than he did.  Offering him to camps was all that he has earned at this point.  Too bad he never got into a camp.  The real tragedy is that we never got him and many other dual nationals into our youth programs at a young age.

As @Shwaymentioned, as of right now he is just a very good youth player.  

To be honest if Marcelo was that interested in our camps and us, efforts would have been made by him to get there. Like Akinola, the reality is that he the choice was never really a choice, he used us as leverage.

Good luck and let’s see how he turns out, Dias and Smith may end up being the best of the bunch.

On the positive side - "Herdman had previously worked with Arsenal to build out a plan for international integration that was designed to help with player development with club considerations, and is said to have impressed Per Mertesacker, manager of the Arsenal Academy, with his level of detail and care for both player and club. "

I hope that other young duals take notice of this and understand / realize we are also looking out for your best interests as well.

As for him choosing Mexico, it was a foregone conclusion once his sisters were playing for Mexico.  Had they were playing for Canada, then it might be a different story.  I didn't realize that he had sisters playing for Mexico until the recent U-17 / U-20 CONCACAF W tournaments.

• JamboAl changed the title to Marcelo Flores
29 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

The real decision is right now:
Do I wish him the best and move on respectfully like a good human being,
or,
Do I secretly hope he shits the bed professionally and sits on the sidelines helpless like a deranged Canada supporter.

I guess I'll be a good boy.

Good luck Marcelo! *struggles to maintain fake smile*

you tweet at his dad when canada beats mexico

The big essay is a little pathetic. This kid seems to think he is a bigger deal than he is. With this statement, Mexico will be in no rush to call and bring him in.

This kind of reminds me of Jonathan Gonzalez. Was a tug of war with US soccer and once he went to Mexico he barely played, even though he was suppose to be a future star. How many caps does he have, 3 or 4?

Anyways, it is what it is. I could be wrong but this feels more about Canada losing a player than Mexico gaining one, if you know what I mean.

Edited by Obinna