Cyle Larin

shermanator

Lille would be kind of hilarious. One Soccer can keep broadcasting matches and we can keep bitching about how Bamba is useless :)

In all seriousness though, it makes sense from their perspective. Pretty much a like-for-like replacement for Yilmaz, who himself joined from Besiktas. 

Like most of us, I would like to see him join a team in the Premier League, because if not now than when? He'll be 27 in April so this is his prime. Has to reach for the stars I think.

But if it ends up being Lille, it's not the end of the world, and it's better than Besiktas. They'll still be a competitive club who challenges for Europe, even after David, Sanches and co. head out the door.  

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Lille would be kind of hilarious. One Soccer can keep broadcasting matches and we can keep bitching about how Bamba is useless :)

In all seriousness though, it makes sense from their perspective. Pretty much a like-for-like replacement for Yilmaz, who himself joined from Besiktas. 

Like most of us, I would like to see him join a team in the Premier League, because if not now than when? He'll be 27 in April so this is his prime. Has to reach for the stars I think.

But if it ends up being Lille, it's not the end of the world, and it's better than Besiktas. They'll still be a competitive club who challenges for Europe, even after David, Sanches and co. head out the door.  

Honestly Lille might be a better option than some of the Prem relegation contenders that have been previously mentioned

Edited by Approve My Account Pls

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Lille have probably been impressed by him in the Canada games this octo. The only issue I have with him going to the PL is I just can't see him being a consistent goal scorer there. A couple weeks ago, Peter Galindo brought up the fact that Larin's first touch could be a problem in England, with the speed of play etc. I think he could be very effective in Ligue 1, while still playing European football. It does seem to me that Larin is angling for a PL move though, hopefully it works out. 

I’m a Lazio fan, so I watched both Marseilles matches against them. They outplayed Lazio both games, and just weren’t clinical enough in front of goal. 

They got Payet, Milik, and Under there, so playing time wouldn’t be guaranteed. I do like that spot for him though. Consistent European football, and is a step up. Very similar to David. 

Would much prefer this than some middle of the pack English side. 

I really like the idea of a Lille transfer for Larin, even if David leaves there.  Lille still remain a solid team and Larin would fit in well with the  4-4-2 system they play a lot. 

There could be some real smoke there too. -Lille and Beskitas have made a number of deals before.  

-Lille undoubtedly tracks the CMNT as their most valuable player plays almost every window for them.  Herdman is likely in contact with their team

-Although they are selling players, Lille is both a buyer and a seller and the price for Larin is in the wheelhouse of where they make deals.

It’s a good level for Larin and I think he could be successful there.  I’d like to see it happen.

8 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I really like the idea of a Lille transfer for Larin, even if David leaves there.  Lille still remain a solid team and Larin would fit in well with the  4-4-2 system they play a lot. 

There could be some real smoke there too. -Lille and Beskitas have made a number of deals before.  

-Lille undoubtedly tracks the CMNT as their most valuable player plays almost every window for them.  Herdman is likely in contact with their team

-Although they are selling players, Lille is both a buyer and a seller and the price for Larin is in the wheelhouse of where they make deals.

It’s a good level for Larin and I think he could be successful there.  I’d like to see it happen.

Larin going to Lille after David leaves actually would be a good move

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I don't think we're hoping for a move to the PL, I think we're just hoping for a move to one of the Big 5 leagues. The PL just happens to be the league most of the rumours are coming from.

9 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Larin going to Lille after David leaves actually would be a good move

If he goes to Lille I would hope that it happens while David is still there. One of the challenges for Herdman has been trying to figure out how get Larin and David working effectively with one another. If they play together at a club even for half a season they might finally work things out and develop some chemistry.

How healthy is Lille’s bank account right now? I’d imagine Lille will have to sell a couple more pieces if they don’t make CL, unless they figured out their financial issues. Even then France as a whole needs to figure out their TV contracts. I’d say OM would be the better career choice. Payet is 34. Under, Milik, and Harit are all there on loan.

Edited by DrunkOffPunch

4 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

I wouldn’t mind him at a La Liga club

There's no interest. 

La Liga signings are some of the least rational in the world, with a few exceptions like Sevilla, Real Sociedad. Most teams buy whatever your friendly agent foists on you. Only a few teams have scouting and technical directors with independent criteria. Then they have their line to Spanish speaking nations, so you get a half dozen from Panama between first and second tier. We can't get one Canadian into the system, even though our only precedent (Hume's short stint aside) was top quality (De Guzman). So we bomb Panana 4-1 but their players can be in Spanish 2nd division on big clubs, but no one even gives Johnston a sniff? 

It's telling, the bias is against Northern European or Anglo footballers, just look at where the Icelandic players from the team that was playing at a high level a few years back are, in Spain they turn up their noses at these guys.

Irritates me, frankly. If it changes, I'll be happy. 

On 12/13/2021 at 1:10 PM, TOCanada115 said:

I’m a Lazio fan, so I watched both Marseilles matches against them. They outplayed Lazio both games, and just weren’t clinical enough in front of goal. 

They got Payet, Milik, and Under there, so playing time wouldn’t be guaranteed. I do like that spot for him though. Consistent European football, and is a step up. Very similar to David. 

Would much prefer this than some middle of the pack English side. 

I see what you did there, I'm not falling for it.

Rumours out of Turkey this morning that Everton have prepared an offer for him in January. 

The rumoured deal includes Cenk Tosun + $ to complete the purchase. The fact that the sources right now are all Turkish media are not the strongest indicators of an actual deal, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. Definitely a promising rumour early doors. 

23 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

Rumours to Everton make no sense to me. He would be a bench option but maybe he’s fine with that. He isn’t starting over Richarlison and DCL is back.

Calvert-Lewin is linked to Arsenal. If they sell him they’ll need to reinforce. I don’t see that being Larin though to be honest.