Cyle Larin

shermanator

Hopefully Larin's thinking this through. If he does end up moving to Olympiacos while teams like Marseille were interested it'll be disappointing as a fan, but it could also see him on the fringe of the national team. Not for this World Cup but if Ugbo and Jebbison continue on their current trajectory, by 2023-2024 they'll both be playing for sides in top 5 leagues while Larin will be a 28 year old playing in Greece. 

3 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

Hopefully Larin's thinking this through. If he does end up moving to Olympiacos while teams like Marseille were interested it'll be disappointing as a fan, but it could also see him on the fringe of the national team. Not for this World Cup but if Ugbo and Jebbison continue on their current trajectory, by 2023-2024 they'll both be playing for sides in top 5 leagues while Larin will be a 28 year old playing in Greece. 

This is harsh. National team form counts as well, and Cyle has been amazing. You don't just take someone like Larin out of the squad because of the club they are at, especially if he is still scoring. Plus it is not like Olympiacos is garbage. Definitely a bigger club than somewhere like Pacos and probably most MLS teams, and yet......

8 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

This is harsh. National team form counts as well, and Cyle has been amazing. You don't just take someone like Larin out of the squad because of the club they are at, especially if he is still scoring. Plus it is not like Olympiacos is garbage. Definitely a bigger club than somewhere like Pacos and probably most MLS teams, and yet......

That's fair but Herdman also seems like he'd want the players to challenge themselves. Olympiacos is a pretty big club but the league itself is a step down from the Turkish league, while Pacos gets to play against higher level teams week in and week out. Outside of Olympiacos and PAOK the teams in the greek league are probably worse than the average MLS team.

This January or next season will be different for those with contract options etc. For the first time in forever, we have a real chance of making the WC. I know its a job and financial security is important but I think  some will try to go to a higher league and push their levels. If we make Qatar it will be the biggest stage  and a solid performance may turn into lucrative contract offers as it often does.

1 hour ago, sebdeserio said:

That's fair but Herdman also seems like he'd want the players to challenge themselves. Olympiacos is a pretty big club but the league itself is a step down from the Turkish league, while Pacos gets to play against higher level teams week in and week out. Outside of Olympiacos and PAOK the teams in the greek league are probably worse than the average MLS team.

Forgetting maybe Panathinaikos, AEK Athens---the top three in Greece and Turkey respectively are at a similar level, after that the fall-off is similar.

Turkey has a better fan base in the middle and lower down, as it has more population, and more density in more cities. 

No matter: this is the typical rumour agents get going to whet the appetite of others, and the leak is this type, to Olympiacos, precisely because it is not where he is going to end up.

5 hours ago, IT20062021 said:

Hell at that point, I would rather either club takes him. It certainly would be a lot better than him going to Greece.

On 12/4/2021 at 11:19 PM, IT20062021 said:

You can also add Brighton to that list, would not be a bad place at all for him to land.

EXCLUSIVE: Brighton keep close eye on Besiktas striker Cyle Larin (teamtalk.com)

2 hours ago, lowlander said:

I like the way that Brighton play, I think that could be a good landing spot for him.

I agree. 

They have a really great brand of football, just don’t have an out and out finisher. Maupay ain’t it. The chances I’ve seen him misss, I’m certain Larins putting those away, as he pops up in similar places.

Larin to Brighton...he would at least getting the chance to shine in the Premier League day in, day out or another Premier League team that you could put Larin on or with would be Crystal Palace...put him with Patrick Vieira as his manager. Crystal Palace has the likes of Wilfred Zaha, Jordan Ayew, etc.

6 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Larin to Brighton...he would at least getting the chance to shine in the Premier League day in, day out or another Premier League team that you could put Larin on or with would be Crystal Palace...put him with Patrick Vieira as his manager. Crystal Palace has the likes of Wilfred Zaha, Jordan Ayew, etc.

Naw…not there imo.

CP have a lot of strikers who  play similar styles. They recently invested in Edouardo who’s younger.

54 minutes ago, Shway said:

Naw…not there imo.

CP have a lot of strikers who  play similar styles. They recently invested in Edouardo who’s younger.

That is true but Larin if he actually went to Palace, he is definitely a striker who could actually finish which is something they desperately need

https://www.lephoceen.fr/infos-om/mercato/mercato-om-longoria-continue-de-rever-de-cet-attaquant-canadien-193945

Not sure how reliable this source is but I found this part of the article interesting:

(Translated) - "Trained in Canada at Sigma Academy, Cyle Larin really exploded in MLS at Orlando City where he slammed 43 goals in 87 matches under 20, then passed through Zulte Waregem before winning at Besiktas for a year and half. Under contract until next June, his Transfermarkt rating is currently at € 11.5m. Not wishing to extend in Turkey, Cyle Larin could therefore be sold this winter at an attractive price given its value. But if OM want it, we will have to fight with many clients in the Premier League, but also with Lille who would form a Canadian duo with his compatriot Jonathan David." 

Marseille is apparently still interested, I think Ligue 1 would be the best move cool to see Lille linked as well.