Cyle Larin

shermanator

5 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Counterpoint:  would a team in the chase for a CL spot and needing some goals pay for the upgrade?

Larin is probably going to be transferred in January since his team can’t afford to let him go for free.

He'll probably get a larger contract if he waits until the summer and negotiates one on a free transfer so there may not be much motivation for him to accept a transfer. I guess he can start negotiating with other teams in January and get a feel for his market value.

9 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Counterpoint:  would a team in the chase for a CL spot and needing some goals pay for the upgrade?

Larin is probably going to be transferred in January since his team can’t afford to let him go for free.

That's exactly what I would be thinking if I was Besiktas.

9 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

That's exactly what I would be thinking if I was Besiktas.

36 minutes ago, frmr said:

Risky.

Surely, but with risk comes reward. 

Larin could be part of the rebuild and get better as better players join the club.

And if the future talent level eventually pushes him out, he'll probably land at a club stronger than Besiktas.

The concern though, admittedly, would be the timing. We don't want him starved for minutes ahead of the World Cup. 

18 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Atiba makes less than a million, or just a million, and is one of the worst paid players amongst all the veterans. 

I'm shocked...on both accounts. I mean 1.7 Euro mil doesn't even get him into the top twenty in the MLS (20th is 2.35 mil US from a quick search). It ends up being around 1.9 mil US. That's Soteldo money 🤯

Edited by PegCityCam

7 hours ago, Floortom said:

Besiktas have looked rotten this year..in League play and Champions league. Might not be in a position to throw cash at Larin and lose on transfer fees

Atiba in that K Jack interview seemed to suggest they had injuries that were affecting results. Fact is the were poor early last year and were well off the pace until later in the winter. I guess they figure lesser rivals will flag and as long as they're close to Fenerbace and Galatasaray they are fine. 

14 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Atiba makes less than a million, or just a million, and is one of the worst paid players amongst all the veterans. 

Last I checked he was making around 0.5 M Euros a year, which is quite low as you say. I never knew he was one of the worst paid veterans, but he is one of (if not) the oldest, so I guess I am not surprised at that.

I believe when he first joined Besiktas he was making over a million, but I don't think he ever cracked 2 during his time at the club. I don't believe he was ever THAT highly paid to begin with, but at least he's had a long, long career and must be a millionaire several times over.

I imagine he's satisfied with his wage at this late stage of his career. Most 38 year old footballers aren't earning that because they've retired already.  

He hasn't been linked to them, but what do we think about a club like Porto or Benfica? It may seem close to lateral, but the big Portuguese clubs tend to go further in Europe than the Turkish ones. Furthermore, (as @Unnamed Trialist has pointed out), the football is cleaner and teams are better coached. 

It would be a smaller step up, but that's not a bad thing. He gets minutes right away and considering his age he probably has more time to take that final leap to a big club in England (or even Spain, seeing he'd be in Iberia already).