Cyle Larin

shermanator

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

He hasn't been linked to them, but what do we think about a club like Porto or Benfica? It may seem close to lateral, but the big Portuguese clubs tend to go further in Europe than the Turkish ones. Furthermore, (as @Unnamed Trialist has pointed out), the football is cleaner and teams are better coached. 

It would be a smaller step up, but that's not a bad thing. He gets minutes right away and considering his age he probably has more time to take that final leap to a big club in England (or even Spain, seeing he'd be in Iberia already).

A Portuguese club would not actually be a bad thing but also he would be in the same league with Eustaquio and Vitoria who also both play in Portugal 

The struggling Turkish economy isn't new.

Sam just moved there, Eustaquio almost did, and Atiba seems very happy there. How much does the floundering economy really matter?

Obviously countries like Turkey are more affected than others, but we have a global slowdown so it's a lower tide for all.

Keep an eye on the Turkish economy for sure, but for now I don't think pro footballers are going to factor it in yet. It's really the lower and middle classes who are being squeezed, anyhow. 

9 hours ago, footballfreak said:

He’s settled and playing well at Besiktas. As much as we all want to see him try to break into a bigger club, from a selfish CMNT perspective I want to see him stay right where he is until the end of qualifying.

That's fair but should Canada qualify and get to Qatar, you can bet bigger clubs will pay attention to Cyle or they will have him on their radar

On 11/23/2021 at 11:58 AM, Obinna said:

The struggling Turkish economy isn't new.

Sam just moved there, Eustaquio almost did, and Atiba seems very happy there. How much does the floundering economy really matter?

Actually quite a bit. Clubs earn their money in Lira (insert toilet flushing noise) but players likely think of their wealth in terms of euros or USD. With the rapid depreciation of the local currency, that creates problems.

Edited by ag futbol

On 11/24/2021 at 8:14 AM, TGAA_Star said:

That's fair but should Canada qualify and get to Qatar, you can bet bigger clubs will pay attention to Cyle or they will have him on their radar

Yes.  If the experience from 1986 was any indication,   if Canada makes it to the world cup you will see heighten interest for Canadian players.  Which should mean better and bigger clubs.   For example, I still cant believe that the best offer for TB came from a top side in Belgium.  Had he played in in a WC and delivered what he has been delivered so far for Canada,  you gotta believe bigger clubs would have gone after him.

I recall that in 1986,  after the WC,  Randy Samuel was one guy who parlayed that exposure in order to land in Holland.  

There are many different ways that our WC drought has hurt Canada

Edited by Free kick

28 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Larin had a great chance saved right in front of the goal. He looks to be playing as the lone striker. He should get more chances in this game.

Wondering if my math/reading of the rules are correct and Besiktas still have a chance to make the Europa League. 

The first three tie breakers are head to head. So if Dortmund lose later this evening.  And then Besiktas beat by them by better than 2-1. And Beskitas have to hold on (Edit: score another tonight.) 

The commentator just said the same as I was typing. 

Edit: I hate Haller

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

27 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

Really want to see him in a top 5 league

I mean this could be to put pressure on other clubs, I doubt he ends up in the premier league but I could see him in ligue 1. Keep in mind last summer Marseille was interested but Besiktas was asking for too much, correct me if I'm wrong guys but I'm pretty sure he can leave on a free in the summer and sign a pre contract in January with another team. The report could just be to get the ball rolling.

1 hour ago, Tyler55 said:

I mean this could be to put pressure on other clubs, I doubt he ends up in the premier league but I could see him in ligue 1. Keep in mind last summer Marseille was interested but Besiktas was asking for too much, correct me if I'm wrong guys but I'm pretty sure he can leave on a free in the summer and sign a pre contract in January with another team. The report could just be to get the ball rolling.

French Ligue 1 would be a good fit

2 hours ago, Tyler55 said:

This is interesting.

This feels like Axia (his agency) pulling some strings to do Olympiakos a favour. Heavy Greek influence in the agency, relationship with Bobby who has worked for Olympiakos and would've brought Cyle through at Sigma. Judging by form, it just feels like he was due for a step up.

I agree with comments that the move seems lateral (and maybe even somewhat downward). A team that consistently is a bottom end Champions League group stage or mid-range Europa League group stage team, and plays in a league that is pretty similar to Turkey's SuperLig.