Cyle Larin

shermanator

Watched Gala vs Lazio a month back. They played not bad, and won off the keeper scoring on his own net. 

It’s clear that Portugal is right there with the big 5. Porto has had some very good seasons in UEFA over the last 10 years. 

Turkey to me is with Belgium for 7th/8th. I firmly believe Besiktas is way worse this year than last, and we are looking a bit to much into the entire league, because of 1 teams results. 

Still a decent league, an upgrade over the MLS, albeit not a crazy difference. 

38 minutes ago, TOCanada115 said:

Watched Gala vs Lazio a month back. They played not bad, and won off the keeper scoring on his own net. 

It’s clear that Portugal is right there with the big 5. Porto has had some very good seasons in UEFA over the last 10 years. 

Turkey to me is with Belgium for 7th/8th. I firmly believe Besiktas is way worse this year than last, and we are looking a bit to much into the entire league, because of 1 teams results. 

Still a decent league, an upgrade over the MLS, albeit not a crazy difference. 

Agreed. The top three in Turkey would also be top 5 in MLS, same with Portugal, with Old Firm. In the past you could say that for the top 3 in Greece, Olympiakos, AEK and Panathinaikos. The top of these leagues is better than almost all of MLS, I would only give the best of MLS in any given season a chance against them head to head.

I also agree that Besiktas are not as good this year as two years ago. Last year they really did not have a good season, only everyone else was worse. For a long time they were out of the league race and got gifted back in, so made CL. Two years ago, without Larin has to be said, they were a more solid team. This year, they have poor results, and are not dominating their rivals. 

Has to be said, in some leagues this year there are suprises. In Spain I saw an interesting stat yesterday, analysing since 2000 how many fixtures a season was a team other than At Madrid, Real Madrid and Barça, only league winners in the last 15 years, leading the league. This season so far none of those three at leader. Turkey looks similar. Top clubs go through transitions, and sometimes it affects an entire league and lesser teams rise up. 

4 hours ago, kacbru said:

??? Not sure how this is relevant. You said the Turkish league has never been good. Not talking about top 5, top 10 , top 50, but never been good? You might want to do some reading on the history on the league, 

Then that is your perspective.  If you think 11-20 ranking in europe is good, that is your perrogative.  Just like it my perrogatuve to say it is not. 

Edited by Free kick

3 hours ago, Free kick said:

Then that is your perspective.  If you think 11-20 ranking in europe is good, that is your perrogative.  Just like it my perrogatuve to say it is not. 

I am immensely proud of someone like Atiba, who will have spent the last decade of his career and won championships in a league that I think is pretty good.  But from your perspective, you would see it as a shame that stepped down from playing in a good league at the peak of his career with his transfer to Besiktas, in a league that has never been any good.

Or to bring it back to Cyle, it is a shame that he went out on loan to a better league in Belgium, only to have to return to an inferior league that has never been any good.

But fair enough, we clearly have different perspectives on "good". 

19 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

That was an all effort goal there.  Larin has a fairly high top speed; it just takes him a bunch of strides to get there.   I wonder what his speed reached.

Effort and anticipation. Watch the replay. He's already in motion cause he saw that dirty back pass coming before the guy even hit the ball.

Edited by A_Gagne

47 minutes ago, Cblake said:

What a great goal for Cyle today, looking forward to him doing the same vs Costa Rica and Mexico over the next 10 days. 

Reminds me of a similar play in our 2-0 win over USA in 2019 where David anticipated the back pass in a very similar way, but failed to score. But Larin's run comes from much, much deeper.

Edited by jonovision

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

Would teams pay a large transfer fee for him given that they can sign him for free next summer?

Counterpoint:  would a team in the chase for a CL spot and needing some goals pay for the upgrade?

Larin is probably going to be transferred in January since his team can’t afford to let him go for free.