Cyle Larin

shermanator

I watched part. Turkish football is sloppy, and poorly coached. Explains why they underperform as a National Team too. All that talent, but they're anarchic, and toughly coached teams expose them. 

An indication is how bad their reffing luck is. They make dumb mistakes, like that careless penalty, then get offside when in attack, and have goals called back. You could even argue Larin's header the other day vs Sporting was a foul. 

Face it: Portugal is a better league, having guys there is a better guarantee, as would be Greece, or the Balkans. 

9 hours ago, frmr said:

I didn't watch the game but Besiktas just aren't very good. Larin should find greener pastures, his peak is the next few years.

Thank you!  I made this same argument way back when he was in the process of transferring out of MLS.  And many kept going on about how playing in Turkey versus MLS was like comparing a castle to an outhouse.  Ok i am exagerating.    But i never found this move was a benefit for canada nor is there anything for canadian fans to brag about.  There are very significant gaps in quality amongst various  leagues/countries in europe.  A lot people fail to appreciate this.

Ok.  If or Maybe he is not at the level to play for a better club,  but then how can you be seriously considered for the starting FWD sport ahead of David, who is playing for a for a decent club in serious league.  

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

Ok. you are excused.  

PS:  Here you go:  Country coefficients | UEFA Coefficients | UEFA.com

UEFA Coefficients need to be taken with a large grain of salt.

Back in 2005-2007 Romania was ranked 7th because Cluj had a decent Euro run in 2 different seasons. Nobody thought Romania had the 7th best European league back then.

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/data/method3/crank2007.html

Edited by narduch

5 minutes ago, Free kick said:

you didnt check the link

That's the live table though. The season still needs to play out. They still have 3 teams that can pick up points. It will make more sense at the end of the Euro season.

Turkey was 13th at the end of the 2021 season.

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/data/method5/crank2021.html

The thing with Turkey is they have 3 traditional strong clubs. Most of the nations ranked above them only have 2 (and some only 1 really).

Edited by narduch

36 minutes ago, narduch said:

UEFA Coefficients need to be taken with a large grain of salt.

Back in 2005-2007 Romania was ranked 7th because Cluj had a decent Euro run in 2 different seasons. Nobody thought Romania had the 7th best European league back then.

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/data/method3/crank2007.html

it seems that they are pretty good for UEFA.  looking at the top five, nobody would argue with that.    The turkish league seldom cracks the top ten over a 20 years span.  you can check that link yourself.   are we saying that its off by that much in regards the Turkish league?

These coefficients have hug implications $$$.   theye are based on performance in Europe.   there would be outcry if it made no sence.   

Edited by Free kick

Just now, Free kick said:

it seems that they are pretty good for UEFA.  looking at the top five, nobody would argue with that.    The turkish league seldom cracks the top ten over a 20 years span.  you can check that link yourself.   are we saying that its off by that much in regards the Turkish league?

These coefficients have hug implications $$$.   theye are based on performance in Europe.   there would be outcry if it made so sence.   

I don't think a lot people really care about the coefficient system other than nerds on the internet.

Besides with the introduction of the Europa Conference League, UEFA has actually doctored the system so that the bigger nations get it easier into the Champions League.

Its not like these things are totally 'fair'.

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

I don't think a lot people really care about the coefficient system other than nerds on the internet.

Besides with the introduction of the Europa Conference League, UEFA has actually doctored the system so that the bigger nations get it easier into the Champions League.

Its not like these things are totally 'fair'.

you mean the same nerds on the internet who claim that the Turkish league is a good league 🙂

Again,  these uefa coefficients have huge implications.  they mean a lot money to clubs.   

Edited by Free kick

4 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Ok.  if you guys done agree

you mean the same nerds on the internet who claim that the Turkish league is a good league 🙂

Its just a point system based on play in Euro club competitions. Its sole purpose is for UEFA to use to divvy up the spots in its competition.

Next thing you know people will tell me that the FIFA Rankings should be considered gospel too.

Average league wages would probably be a better indication of the strength of these league (and I don't have this data).

Edited by narduch

23 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The Turkish league is strong, no doubt. Easily a top 10 league in Europe.

Don't know about that.  I'm expressing an intuitive opinion, don't cast my eye widely enough to give a more informed opinion.

That opinion is the Turkish top flight is like a lot of leagues around the world, too much daylight between a couple of the giants and everybody else and that of course creates its own problems.  Player recruitment, player development, that sort of thing.  The match-in match-out tests just don't exist.  Also think you can really see in these Cup competitions which clubs are built for domestic success and which ones tilt towards Europe.

Fun league to watch.  Not the EPL but still a very good place to make a career.

To be fair, the whole "top 5 leagues in Europe" is based purely on the UEFA coefficient. Portugal took France's place in the top five for a brief period this season, and everyone took that pretty seriously when talking about the "top five".