Cyle Larin

shermanator

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

I am not sure that's the best way to deploy Davies, if you are suggesting we play in the middle paired with Eustaquio. I actually think he could play there if we wanted, I just view it as sub-optimal for the team. 

I tend to agree with @PopePouri that having all on the field throws off the balance. Davies, Buchanan and Laryea all deserve to start, but I think one has to be sacrificed (and it obviously won't be Davies).

If you wanted to get them all on the field, the best way to get them all on the field (in my humble opinion) may be this:

-----------David---Larin-----------

Davies------------------------Buchanan

--------Eustaquio---Other-----------

Adekugbe--Miller---Vitoria---Laryea

---------------Keeper---------------

The problem here is that I am not convinced Herdman sits Johnston for Laryea, since the latter gives us the tactical flexibility to shift to a back 3. Also, here Richie Laryea would need to be more defensive minded with Buchanan in front of him, which he can certainly do, but if that's what you want why not go with Johnston (the more defensive-minded fullback in the pool)?

It's a good problem to have, fitting all these pieces into play.

At the end of the day though, Larin has to start, no if ands or buts. Furthermore, I think we want him and David paired, and since neither is an excellent hold-up player, we should have them fluidly interchange.

The challenge as I see it is having them learn to take turns dropping deep to play make, while the other runs in behind. That just comes with reps it shouldn't be mission impossible. I am not convinced we are talking about forcing square pegs into rounded holes on the Larin-David subject.

Edit: I think Herdman is licking his chops at having two playmaking forwards on the field, since having both share the responsibility keeps opponents guessing. Herdman loves flexibility.

I think it's only a matter of time before they figure it out. 

The formation in theory looks amazing but I don't think it plays to our strengths. This team lives off it's wide play and a strong midfield 3. We tried to play with all our big guns vs. Honduras and failed.

I can't help but think that there is a choice to be made:

1) You play with Laryea, Buchanan and Davies on the same pitch = one of David/Larin is dropped.

2) You go with David/Larin partnership you must drop Buchanan. 

A lot of people have their ideas of our big "4" usually including David, Larin and Buchanan but I think Herdman's big 4 is Davies, Johnston, Laryea and Eustaquio. Expect to see those 4 in any best XI.

i.e.

-----------David---Larin-------------

---------Kaye----Osorio--------------

Daves--------Eustaquio------Laryea

-------Miller--Vitoria--Johnston------

-------------Borjan-------------------

-----------David-----------------

------------Hoilett--------------

Davies--Kaye--Eustaquio--Buchanan

Laryea--Miller--Vitoria---Johnston

-------------Borjan----------------

Why are we particularly worried about a 2-striker formation anyhow? We hardly have trouble scoring goals as is.

Edited by CanadaFan123

2 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The formation in theory looks amazing but I don't think it plays to our strengths. This team lives off it's wide play and a strong midfield 3. We tried to play with all our big guns vs. Honduras and failed.

1) You play with Laryea, Buchanan and Davies on the same pitch = one of David/Larin is dropped.

A lot of people have their ideas of our big "4" usually including David, Larin and Buchanan but I think Herdman's big 4 is Davies, Johnston, Laryea and Eustaquio. Expect to see those 4 in any best XI.

i.e.

Why are we particularly worried about a 2-striker formation anyhow? We hardly have trouble scoring goals as is.

I am a big Laryea fan and I think he is probably underrated by many (not necessarily here) but I just don’t see him in the best attacking 4 at the expense of Buchanan.  Tajon has shown he is a top quality attacker and can unlock the best defences in the region.  That isn’t something we can ignore.  

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am a big Laryea fan and I think he is probably underrated by many (not necessarily here) but I just don’t see him in the best attacking 4 at the expense of Buchanan.  Tajon has shown he is a top quality attacker and can unlock the best defences in the region.  That isn’t something we can ignore.  

I get what you’re saying but it’s not an attacking 4. The wingbacks have to be players with an engine who can be responsible for an entire flank on both sides of the ball. That first choice player on the right is Laryea.

27 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Agreed.

i.e.

Again, I agree.

However, I am personally more of a fan of sitting Laryea or Buchanan than David or Larin.

But regardless of what I am a fan of, the truth of the matter is that we sat David against the States away and it worked fine. Players need to be rested - so in truth we'll be fine either way.

Can't speak for others, but I just have a biased towards having both on the field at once. It's more about that than formations. You show me a better way to have them both on the field and I am listening. It's just my preference (not that I would die on the hill for it though).

Most importantly though, talk of best elevens are kind of pointless when the reality is that players will need rest to get through these 3 match windows - thus we'll probably never have a true "best 11" during this process.

Edited by Obinna

Trying to fit all the big guns in when everyone is healthy isn't really necessary because having strong attacking options on the bench is a big strength, along with the fact that during this cycle and in future tournaments we are having to rotate at least some players due to fatigue, injury, yellow cards. Between rotation and super subs there's really no need to force the team selections.

On 10/26/2021 at 3:15 PM, Obinna said:

I am not sure that's the best way to deploy Davies, if you are suggesting we play in the middle paired with Eustaquio. I actually think he could play there if we wanted, I just view it as sub-optimal for the team. 

I tend to agree with @PopePouri that having all on the field throws off the balance. Davies, Buchanan and Laryea all deserve to start, but I think one has to be sacrificed (and it obviously won't be Davies).

If you wanted to get them all on the field, the best way to get them all on the field (in my humble opinion) may be this:

-----------David---Larin-----------

Davies------------------------Buchanan

--------Eustaquio---Other-----------

Adekugbe--Miller---Vitoria---Laryea

---------------Keeper---------------

The problem here is that I am not convinced Herdman sits Johnston for Laryea, since the latter gives us the tactical flexibility to shift to a back 3. Also, here Richie Laryea would need to be more defensive minded with Buchanan in front of him, which he can certainly do, but if that's what you want why not go with Johnston (the more defensive-minded fullback in the pool)?

It's a good problem to have, fitting all these pieces into play.

At the end of the day though, Larin has to start, no if ands or buts. Furthermore, I think we want him and David paired, and since neither is an excellent hold-up player, we should have them fluidly interchange.

The challenge as I see it is having them learn to take turns dropping deep to play make, while the other runs in behind. That just comes with reps it shouldn't be mission impossible. I am not convinced we are talking about forcing square pegs into rounded holes on the Larin-David subject.

Edit: I think Herdman is licking his chops at having two playmaking forwards on the field, since having both share the responsibility keeps opponents guessing. Herdman loves flexibility.

I think it's only a matter of time before they figure it out. 

I agree that Johnston holds down the RB position.  

2 hours ago, B_Leaf said:

Does Canada have any young defenders who are projecting well? 

Could Marshall-Rutty possibly find his best position in the midfield as he gets older and stronger?

Marshall-Rutty should ultimately end up as a midfielder. I know he's spent some time at fullback with Toronto, but I see that as being short term.

One young defender who is eligible but not yet committed is Justin Smith. He's a 2003 and has been regularly making the bench for Nice in Ligue 1, managed by Christophe Galtier (David's ex-manager at Lille). He can reportedly play center midfield as well, but I think he's primarily a defender. 

The other one who's a little bit older but still considered promising is Belal Halbouni. He's on the cusp of getting a first team chance at Werder Bremen. Since they got relegated to the 2.Bundesliga there's a good shot he can make the jump and get minutes. He's killing it with the second team at the moment. 

Edit: name corrected, meant to type Justin here, not Jordan.

Edited by Obinna

20 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Marshall-Rutty should ultimately end up as a midfielder. I know he's spent some time at fullback with Toronto, but I see that as being short term.

One young defender who is eligible but not yet committed is Jordan Smith. He's a 2003 and has been regularly making the bench for Nice in Ligue 1, managed by Christophe Galtier (David's ex-manager at Lille). He can reportedly play center midfield as well, but I think he's primarily a defender. 

The other one who's a little bit older but still considered promising is Belal Halbouni. He's on the cusp of getting a first team chance at Werder Bremen. Since they got relegated to the 2.Bundesliga there's a good shot he can make the jump and get minutes. He's killing it with the second team at the moment. 

Thanks...very informative.

26 minutes ago, Obinna said:

One young defender who is eligible but not yet committed is Jordan Smith. He's a 2003 and has been regularly making the bench for Nice in Ligue 1, managed by Christophe Galtier (David's ex-manager at Lille). He can reportedly play center midfield as well, but I think he's primarily a defender. 

*Justin* not Jordan.  I know you already know this but just an error.  

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

One young defender who is eligible but not yet committed is Justin Smith. He's a 2003 and has been regularly making the bench for Nice in Ligue 1, managed by Christophe Galtier (David's ex-manager at Lille). He can reportedly play center midfield as well, but I think he's primarily a defender. 

Edit: name corrected, meant to type Justin here, not Jordan.

Also worth remembering that Kennedy and Miller are still young if you adopt the mentality that defenders tend to develop and hit primes a bit later then attackers

edit: switched to Miller not Millar

Edited by Approve My Account Pls

2 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Also worth remembering that Kennedy and Millar are still young if you adopt the mentality that defenders tend to develop and hit primes a bit later then attackers

For sure. And Cornelius is the same age as well. Him, Miller and Kennedy are all 1997. Still relatively young for CB. We should have good depth at LCB for this cycle and next. 

I believe Justin and Belal are right footers, which is good as we are a little light at RCB after Allistair Johnston. I'd like to see Waterman make the jump and serve as his back up.

6 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

What a weird article. Calls him a Sigma FC star, but also North American and never mention Canada. Haha very specific then super generic.

The article is weird for many reasons. The Sigma FC star thing is one of them. Nobody in touch with Canadian soccer would speak about his time at Sigma in those terms. 

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

The article is weird for many reasons. The Sigma FC star thing is one of them. Nobody in touch with Canadian soccer would speak about his time at Sigma in those terms. 

Well, however weird it may be, the main gist of it seems to be gaining some traction🤷‍♂️

https://www.hammers.news/transfer-news/west-ham-in-fresh-link-to-cyle-larin-the-striker-with-a-stunning-scoring-record-who-could-be-the-perfect-foil-for-michail-antonio/

https://www.footballfancast.com/everton-transfer-rumours/everton-have-expressed-an-interest-in-cyle-larin-premier-league-transfers-besiktas

Is it just me or does the article sound like conjecture from the author?

Everton and West Ham have long been linked to Larin and there doesn't seem to be any new development here in that regard.

This is basically just a reminder that Larin hasn't signed a new contract and soon he could, in theory, sign a pre-contract with two clubs that were already linked to him in the past. There isn't really anything novel in here. 

The Spurs thing feels like click-bait. I followed the links to the supposed past interest and even that was speculative. 

Larin is a great player and I am glad he's being linked to these clubs, but there's really no telling where he'll sign if/when he's a free agent.

17 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

Would love to see Larin with my Irons. Antonio is always a hamstring tweak away from missing several weeks, and the club is playing great under Moyes. There’s a decent chance West Ham can progress far into Europa, and they’re in the thick of the upper table in Premiership.. so there should be a demand for minutes up top. On top of this all, Yarmalenko appears to be on the downswing. 

Also it’s anticipated that a 27% ownership stake is about to get purchased by Czech billionaire Daniel Kretinsky so funds might not present the same hurdle that often pops up.

https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11685/12453335/west-ham-czech-billionaire-daniel-kretinsky-close-to-buying-27-per-cent-stake-in-club

Edited by Cowtown Kyle