Liam Millar

Northvansteve

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Millar is really showing what he can do.  There were a few that expressed skepticism about this move but it is hard to argue that it hasn’t turned out well (so far).  He is playing for the leading team in a respectable first division, competing in the Europa competition (albeit in the 2nd tier) and is making significant contributions with a goal and multiple assists.  He is getting lots of playing time at a solid level and will be enhancing his reputation as a future transfer target.   

Congrats @spitfire - I am sure you are proud as hell.  

I think it has become clear that this move to FC Basel was indeed the perfect move for him.  😎

*runs and hides*

I think that was his best game yet for Basel (that I have seen). All of his play was positive and integrated well with the rest of the team. Cabral was noticeably happy with Millar for the first goal, and the hockey assist on a later goal was great play. He looks like he belongs out there and his team mates are clearly trusting him to drive play now. Great stuff.

Liams roll at FC Basel is LW in a fluid front three Atm. He plays wide and in between the lines linking up with the #9 (Cabral) and the left back(Taveres or Sergio Lopez) opening up space for the lb to drive forward too which the young Taveres does really well  Liam at times plays almost as a number 10 sometimes. He’s often found central behind the striker.  And he played in a front two at the end of one game this season

His game at Basel has evolved into a more rounded player he doenst just run at players from wide positions it’s his movement off the ball, link up and combination play that stands out imho. The other thing is his work off the ball and his defending and tracking back for the team  all reasons why he’s in the team atm   

This move to FC Basel has really helped him to mature. He’s playing in a really good league on a talented team with lots of competition on a team pushing for a title and playing in Europe. It’s his 4th start in a row…

Like I said he’s doing well and will keeping pushing more and more. That’s his drive…

im currently working nights on a Netflix tv series in Manchester cheekily watching his game on my phone…

Edited by spitfire

I went back and watched sections, highlights. 

It looked like a loose 4-1-4-1, where Liam lines up on the left midfield. Then often pushes into the left wing, where he has nice pace, not pure winger speed but tends to make the right decisions. 

But other moments he shifted in behind the striker, Cabral, or was even drifting over to the right side. Seems to have freedom to roam.

The rival was quite weak, as weak as I have seen in Europe in this season. The team plays like a solid unit, the players support each other, and Liam looks very comfortable in the mix. I know he'd like to score more but he seems happy to be contributing. Both assists were intelligent play on his part.

Spanish announcer went into detail early first half about his career path, Liverpool, the loan last year to Charlton, how much Basel paid for him, very detailed.

Standing ovation when he subbed off. Then Kairat, who had done little, immediately got two goals, one from Kante who was born where I am, just outside Barcelona, known of him since he was a kid in 5th tier. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

It’s very good to see another of our young, and core national team members playing 1st team soccer and producing.

Liam has really found a good level for him and his production is really good.  This was a good move for both him and FC Basel as he’s cemented himself as a starter and Basel is In 1st place.

I have no doubt he will be called up for this very important next qualification window.  We can really use him to spell Davies and be a spark plug off the bench.

9 hours ago, spitfire said:

Liams roll at FC Basel is LW in a fluid front three Atm. He plays wide and in between the lines linking up with the #9 (Cabral) and the left back(Taveres or Sergio Lopez) opening up space for the lb to drive forward too which the young Taveres does really well  Liam at times plays almost as a number 10 sometimes. He’s often found central behind the striker.  And he played in a front two at the end of one game this season

His game at Basel has evolved into a more rounded player he doenst just run at players from wide positions it’s his movement off the ball, link up and combination play that stands out imho. The other thing is his work off the ball and his defending and tracking back for the team  all reasons why he’s in the team atm   

This move to FC Basel has really helped him to mature. He’s playing in a really good league on a talented team with lots of competition on a team pushing for a title and playing in Europe. It’s his 4th start in a row…

Like I said he’s doing well and will keeping pushing more and more. That’s his drive…

im currently working nights on a Netflix tv series in Manchester cheekily watching his game on my phone…

I know they're mates, and all, but it sounds like Alphonso Davies might be the greatest impediment to Liam's accumulating a big number of Canada caps over the next several years. The role that you're describing him thriving in sounds exactly like the role that the Phonz plays for us, no?

9 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I know they're mates, and all, but it sounds like Alphonso Davies might be the greatest impediment to Liam's accumulating a big number of Canada caps over the next several years. The role that you're describing him thriving in sounds exactly like the role that the Phonz plays for us, no?

As I see it, we do not have a clear role set out for Alphonso yet on the NT. At least I don't see it. 

Liam is an inverted wing, turns in to shoot on his right foot. Some insist Alphonso should play wide left which removes him from shooting and turns him into a mere assist machine. I don't agree with this assessment. I'd play Alphonso on the right.

I'd say Tajon is our comparable attacker, to be honest, in terms of the role he plays. Millar, from what I see, is a more diligent defender than Tajon. Tajon perhaps has more goal scoring capacity, but I think Liam can still improve this facet of his game.

Finally: neither MLS nor Swiss league are exactly the level of league we want our better players in, for me, if Tajon is doing well at Bruges, that would put him ahead of Liam.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As I see it, we do not have a clear role set out for Alphonso yet on the NT. At least I don't see it. 

Liam is an inverted wing, turns in to shoot on his right foot. Some insist Alphonso should play wide left which removes him from shooting and turns him into a mere assist machine. I don't agree with this assessment. I'd play Alphonso on the right.

I'd say Tajon is our comparable attacker, to be honest, in terms of the role he plays. Millar, from what I see, is a more diligent defender than Tajon. Tajon perhaps has more goal scoring capacity, but I think Liam can still improve this facet of his game.

Finally: neither MLS nor Swiss league are exactly the level of league we want our better players in, for me, if Tajon is doing well at Bruges, that would put him ahead of Liam.

A lot of people do like Davies on the right for that cut in option but he hasn't been very consistent when Canada does that. Against Honduras he became a non-factor when Herdman switched him over.

6 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I think if Canada runs a 3-5-2 he can play up top as a second striker but in a 3-4-3 he could be part of the front three if Davies is LWB. 

4 minutes ago, VinceA said:

A lot of people do like Davies on the right for that cut in option but he hasn't been very consistent when Canada does that. Against Honduras he became a non-factor when Herdman switched him over.

I do remember him scoring a couple of pretty impressive goals from the right as an inverted winger, but he isn’t used that way by Bayern and like you said, hasn’t done very well there for Canada in the brief periods we have used him that way.  For now, I would far rather we use him in his most effective position. Lots of time to tinker later.   

16 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I do remember him scoring a couple of pretty impressive goals from the right as an inverted winger, but he isn’t used that way by Bayern and like you said, hasn’t done very well there for Canada in the brief periods we have used him that way.  For now, I would far rather we use him in his most effective position. Lots of time to tinker later.   

Davies has been dominant from the left for us no team has had an answer for him aside from Haiti but even then their game plan opened up space for our other players. Like others have alluded to he was essentially useless on the right vs. Honduras. Putting him on the right makes him much easier to defend and makes his pace less of a threat.. he's also not a notable threat from distance so it's just nonsensical. As a mid game swap to throw the other team off? Sure, but not as a primary position.

9 hours ago, VinceA said:

I agree.

But if you are going to try something, it has to be more than a 20-minute afterthought.  Try it properly, not half-assed.

Just commit to Alphonso on the right and Millar / Tajon on the left for one match. Tajon scored vs. Mexico from the left. It is where Liam is effective too.

Bayern signed an inverted winger, so did Basel. I'm getting tired of the constant repetition of clichés about players' positioning. Check this out, sorry to put this on a Liam thread, but what I am arguing: they most definitely could both be on the pitch together.

To play inverted wingers we need (or should have) full backs to overlap the space created. The goal @Unnamed Trialistis referencing by Buchanan was when he was playing striker - he just happened to be countering on the left.

We would have to go back to a 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 for this to work. Is it worth switching up a working formation to move wingers, who have already been effective, to inverted positions? 

58 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I agree.

But if you are going to try something, it has to be more than a 20-minute afterthought.  Try it properly, not half-assed.

Just commit to Alphonso on the right and Millar / Tajon on the left for one match. Tajon scored vs. Mexico from the left. It is where Liam is effective too.

Bayern signed an inverted winger, so did Basel. I'm getting tired of the constant repetition of clichés about players' positioning. Check this out, sorry to put this on a Liam thread, but what I am arguing: they most definitely could both be on the pitch together.

Damn seeing those goals from Davies just makes me sad Bayern turned him into a LB. I know he is still more offensively inclined and Bundesliga defenses are stronger but man i still wish Davies was being developed as an out and out winger.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Damn seeing those goals from Davies just makes me sad Bayern turned him into a LB. I know he is still more offensively inclined and Bundesliga defenses are stronger but man i still wish Davies was being developed as an out and out winger.

Honestly... Remember when he shot and tried to score himself? 

Liam Millar aims to make mark with new Swiss club, help Canada reach World Cup
22-year-old to compete in World Cup qualifying match against Mexico Thursday
Neil Davidson The Canadian Press October 06, 2021

Liam Millar has already made a mark at Liverpool. Now the 22-year-old Canadian winger is looking to blaze a trail in Switzerland with FC Basel.

Millar and Basel lead the Swiss Super League at 5-0-4 and are currently involved in group play in the Europa Conference League, UEFA's inaugural third-tier competition.

Facing a senior roster stacked with big-name internationals at Liverpool, Millar opted to leave to challenge himself.
"I feel the more I play, the better I get," he said.

Basel is a powerhouse in Switzerland with star striker Arthur Cabral leading the attack. The Brazilian tops the Swiss league with 11 goals in nine games and is currently with Brazil for CONMEBOL World Cup qualifiers.

"He's an amazing player. He just knows where the net is," said Millar.

"He's one of the top goal-scorers in Europe right now," he added. "As a winger sometimes you can just put your head up and put the ball in the box and he'll be there. It's great to play with a striker of his quality."

The transition to life in Switzerland has been eased in recent weeks by the arrival of Millar's wife and baby daughter.

"Everything's good now. Everybody's settled," he said.
Journey through World Cup qualifiers

Millar's immediate task is helping Canada through a challenging stretch of CONCACAF World Cup qualifying games. The 51st-ranked Canadian men play No. 9 Mexico at Mexico City's famed Azteca Stadium on Thursday before taking on No. 59 Jamaica in Kingston on Sunday. Then it's back to Canada to host No. 68 Panama on Oct. 13 at Toronto's BMO Field.

Millar says the team is feeling confident.

"We all believe that we have enough quality, enough talent, enough togetherness, everything to be able to put up a fight against anybody," he said.

Mexico (2-0-1) leads the eight-country final round of qualifying in CONCACAF. Canada (1-0-2) is second on goal difference after beating No. 65 El Salvador and tying No. 63 Honduras and the 13th-ranked Americans.

The U.S. and Panama are also 1-0-2. Jamaica is bottom of the so-called Octagonal at 0-2-1.
Come March, after the eight remaining teams have each played 14 games, the top three will represent North and Central America and the Caribbean at Qatar 2022. The fourth-place team will take part in an intercontinental; playoff to see who joins them.

It marks the first time the Canadian men have reached the final round of qualifying in the region since the lead-up to France '98.

Millar, who has won 11 caps for Canada including five starts, says the Canadians have already forged a tight bond.

"We're all brothers here. We're all best friends," said Millar, who was 14 when he made his debut in the Canadian youth program in 2014 and 18 when he made his senior debut in 2018 against New Zealand in John Herdman's first game at the men's helm. "There's a great group of guys here. A lot of us have been together for a long time."

"It's only getting stronger," he said of the ties in the team. " You can tell that by our performances and the way that we're playing. And how much we believe that we can beat one of the big dogs in CONCACAF."

They face a steep challenge Thursday against a Mexico team that is 12-1-7 against Canada in World Cup qualifying, with the lone Canadian win a 1-0 decision in Vancouver in October 1976. The Mexicans have gone unbeaten in 14 World Cup qualifying matches (7-0-7) against Canada since then.

Canada is 4-19-8 against Mexico in all international "A" matches since 1957.

But that history means little to a talented young Canadian team that is turning heads. In July, Mexico needed a 99th-minute goal in the Gold Cup semifinal to edge Canada 2-1 The Canadians were ranked 70th at the time, 59 rungs below Mexico.

"We wanted to show tonight that we're more than than that (Canadian) grit and resilience," Herdman said at the time. "We can play. And we can go toe to toe with the best in CONCACAF.

"Some of those men came of age tonight."
Path to playing pro overseas

Millar joined Liverpool's academy in 2016, moving up through the ranks from the under-18 and under-19 teams to captain the Reds' under-23 side. He made his senior debut for Liverpool in February 2020 in an FA Cup match against Shrewsbury Town.

Millar went out on loan to Scotland's Kilmarnock in 2018-19 and 2019-20. He led Liverpool's U-23 side for the first half of 2020-21, before joining Charlton Athletic in January on loan for the remainder of the season.
He signed with Basel in early July.

Millar grew up playing for Brampton Youth SC and North Mississauga. At 10 or 11, he tried out for the Toronto FC academy but did not make the cut.

His father Alan coached one of the North Mississauga teams and Liam drew the attentions of several scouts while playing at the Keele Cup in England. He ended up moving to England with his father to pursue his soccer dream when he was about to turn 13.

Liam started in the Fulham youth system before joining Liverpool after impressing the club in a fine under-16 season. Eventually his entire family was reunited in Liverpool.