Liam Millar

Northvansteve

So game finished 7-0 liam got an assist and hit the bar twice(saved to the bar) and took a shot that came back off the post that went in for an own goal(so his right !?!) lol

Anyways a weird  game but not his best good to get a start and 90 mins. Had 7 shots on target really u lucky not to score….

Edited by spitfire

Liam came off the bench at 1-1 and was flying down the left wing and played a big part in the 3-1 win for FC Basel!! (Didnt get a goal or assist but was a really big threat)

Really happy for him. He came on in a really tight game. The manager putting faith in him and did Canada proud in an amazing atmosphere!! Best appearance for FC Basel so far didn’t put a foot wrong…

sorry excited….

10 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

I think given his past service / performance with the CMNT, combined with his strong play coming off the bench for Basel, he’ll definitely be called up this window knowing that he can play the role of an impact sub.

I think him not being at the Gold Cup, and some guys being sorts of revelations makes it really hard for him to come off the bench, especially if everyones healthy. David, Davies, Larin, Buchanan, Hoilett, Tesho...and then there's Laryea, ZBG, Gutierrez who are all "two-way" players. 

He'll at least have another game on Sunday to stake his claim even further! I'm hoping Sunday is the day when he opens his account for goals or assists! 

18 hours ago, Shway said:

I think him not being at the Gold Cup, and some guys being sorts of revelations makes it really hard for him to come off the bench, especially if everyones healthy. David, Davies, Larin, Buchanan, Hoilett, Tesho...and then there's Laryea, ZBG, Gutierrez who are all "two-way" players. 

He'll at least have another game on Sunday to stake his claim even further! I'm hoping Sunday is the day when he opens his account for goals or assists! 

I agree that it’ll be tough to get on the field when his competitions is David, Davies, Larin, Tajon, Hoilett but he’s ahead of Tesho for me, and I don’t see any of those fullbacks as threats to play ahead of him in a more advanced position.

On 8/15/2021 at 3:52 PM, spitfire said:

So game finished 7-0 liam got an assist and hit the bar twice(saved to the bar) and took a shot that came back off the post that went in for an own goal(so his right !?!) lol

Anyways a weird  game but not his best good to get a start and 90 mins. Had 7 shots on target really u lucky not to score….

So if you don't mind us asking now that you've seen him in a few games, and thinking that perhaps he has commented.

What is the difference he is noticing between his pro stint in League One and being here? I think a lot of us consider this puts him more firmly into a top flight professional context, but would be interested to hear what he's experiencing, kind of play, coaching, pressure to perform, if anything could be said. 

It’s an interesting question…this is my take not Liams for the record (from our chats) Let’s hope no one quotes me on Twitter…

Firstly Charlton and L1 was a great experience for him  The club was so good to him as were the amazing fans and the drive to promotion will stick with him for a long time…

But nights like last night in European competitions with that atmosphere and fans and energy… Liam said it was electric… happy to have been a part of …it was a night he won’t forget and let’s hope it’s just the beginning…and a good precursor for wcq should be be selected… 

FC Basel is like a LFC, Chelsea or a Man U in Switzerland they are expected to win the league every year (they haven’t won it in 2 seasons) and this is added pressure to every game and session. The fans are amazing and passionate and  demand success and that breeds an extremely competitive training environment which has been amazing for Liam and his development. From the first minute FC Basel is been top class and n everything they have done including helping him get settled and feel part of the family very quickly. 
To be honest he has loved every minute of it… 

Not sure if that’s what I were looking for…

Edited by spitfire

4 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

I did not catch his European match, he very well could've been great, but having watch the rest of the games, I say he's gonna need to prove more. Hasn't really done a whole lot imo, and that's me ignoring the no goals and assists.

Why do I even bother to respond…. And just to be clear you have watched all the games he played!? Except the 3 Europa league games he played!? 

Hes moved to a new country. Joined a team that is unbeaten in 9.Top of their league. Their best start in 10 years to a season

He has featured in 7 of those games. Hes getting good minutes almost every game.  A very hard team to break into atm but he’s making progress… and he did get an assist in the cup game the other day and had shot turn into an own goal….The manager threw him in a 1-1 Europa playoff game with 15 to go that’s shows a lot of confidence in him by the manager…. That game finished 3-1 to Basel….
We are very happy with his progress …

Im

sure I’ve wasted my breathe on this reply…

29 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Why do I even bother to respond…. And just to be clear you have watched all the games he played!? Except the 3 Europa league games he played!? 

Hes moved to a new country. Joined a team that is unbeaten in 9.Top of their league. Their best start in 10 years to a season

He has featured in 7 of those games. Hes getting good minutes almost every game.  A very hard team to break into atm but he’s making progress… and he did get an assist in the cup game the other day and had shot turn into an own goal….The manager threw him in a 1-1 Europa playoff game with 15 to go that’s shows a lot of confidence in him by the manager…. That game finished 3-1 to Basel….
We are very happy with his progress …

Im

sure I’ve wasted my breathe on this reply…

Like Norrin Rad, I also found it to be very informative. Most people here realize Basel is a good side and realize Liam is making good progress right now. We believe in him and are rooting for his success. 

50 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

I did not catch his European match, he very well could've been great, but having watch the rest of the games, I say he's gonna need to prove more. Hasn't really done a whole lot imo, and that's me ignoring the no goals and assists.

I mean, we are not talking Brazil or Argentina, we are talking Canada. For all the strides we have made, I am pretty certain getting those minutes for FC Basel, as a 22 year old, is more than enough to make a Canada selection and contribute. 

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I mean, we are not talking Brazil or Argentina, we are talking Canada. For all the strides we have made, I am pretty certain getting those minutes for FC Basel, as a 22 year old, is more than enough to make a Canada selection and contribute. 

Especially when you consider we’ll be calling a big squad - likely 30+ players imo. Hard to see that many wingers ahead of him where he wouldn’t get called.

32 minutes ago, spitfire said:

I meant his last match. I watched the other European matches. So the match against Hammarby and the Swiss cup match are the only ones I missed.

This is going to sound harsh, but in the end it's only my opinion. Personally, I don't really care that he got an assist against what was basically a semi-amateur team in a swiss first round cup and I don't think he's worthy a call up because he got someone to knock the ball into his own net. Sorry. These 2 things don't all of a sudden justify everything for me. I still saw a player that was still trying to find his feet at a new club, which is expected.

I know Basel is a tough team to get into. I liked the move when it was announced because I thought it was a good place to develop. It's good that he's getting minutes. But my argument was about September. Is he ready for a call? My personal opinion is no. In the end I didn't see much. If he does get a call, I would still feel more comfortable seeing other players ahead of him in tight sub situations. Does this mean I think he'll never be worthy of a call up? No. He has the whole season to learn and grow from a good environment and I'm hoping that happens.

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Eh, I still think people here are under estimating our attacking options at times. For the record, with injuries to players like Cavallini, I'm almost expecting him to get a call. My argument was that at this point in time he's a last option attacking depth player over some others.

Millar is definitely getting a call. He was getting calls when he was struggling in SPL and just starting to show his level in League One. He still has a long way to go but this is probably the best form he's ever shown, why wouldn't he get called up?

19 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

Eh, I still think people here are under estimating our attacking options at times. For the record, with injuries to players like Cavallini, I'm almost expecting him to get a call. My argument was that at this point in time he's a last option attacking depth player over some others.

For wingers it's hard to make an argument for someone else ahead of Millar right now (excluding the players Spitfire mentioned), but I too would be interested to hear you make your case further.

The natural competitor for me is Corbeanu, but he has not played yet for Sheffield Wednesday. Why is he ahead of Liam at the moment? Gold Cup? As impressive as he was against Mexico, that counts for little if he's having issues at the moment.

Also, FWIW, had the roles been reversed I think Millar would have been equally as effective against Mexico.   

Aside from that I struggle to see who else is in this conversation.

Pasher has not been playing for Houston and even if he were I would prefer to have Millar in there. Pasher didn't really seem on the same page with the rest of the team at GC.

Nelson definitely isn't in the conversation right now, nor is Schaffleburg. Great players for a Taxi squad though. 

Edited by Obinna

30 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Sorry can I ask specifically which players are in better form playing more at a higher level … this of course excludes David Davies Larin tajon, Hiolett(Cav is injured I think..) who plays as a winger(not a wing back) ..just wondering…

For me personally, Pasher would be next (assuming he's healthy), then Liam, then Corbeanu. Have no idea how Herdman ranks them but I think all 3 get called in September regardless.