Liam Millar

Northvansteve

A short article in Barcelona sports press today about the team looking at picking up Cabral from Basel.

We have no money, lots of injuries, and need some cover, with Braithwaite injured, Dembele fragile and, apparently, Kun Aguero with this terrible heart problem they discovered after a crash in a match. Kun may have to retire. 

I think Cabrail is not good enough, but the team can't do much more in terms of transfers. Also seems he comes recommended through Deco, who is scouting for Barça and must have seen how the Brazil national team is bringing him in. 

I was mentioning interest from Barça for Cabral...here's an article from Sport today, trying to justify the bid---all part of the press conniving with the team's desperation I think. 

Otherwise it seems a bit much.

But still, they do speak of many players who have come out of Basel and gone on to greater things, and contextualise a bit with Cabral and his move into the Brazil national team. No mention of Liam, but I think it is good scouts are watching the team.Cabral.thumb.jpg.c4de298141027198022e953215187b2c.jpg

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I was mentioning interest from Barça for Cabral...here's an article from Sport today, trying to justify the bid---all part of the press conniving with the team's desperation I think. 

Otherwise it seems a bit much.

But still, they do speak of many players who have come out of Basel and gone on to greater things, and contextualise a bit with Cabral and his move into the Brazil national team. No mention of Liam, but I think it is good scouts are watching the team.Cabral.thumb.jpg.c4de298141027198022e953215187b2c.jpg

I was pretty shocked when he got called up to the Brazil national team. Although, even if the current state of Barcelona isn't that great, there is no shortage of striker options for Brazil. So he must have something pretty special to get that call. 

Millar has the potential to be a star for us. Likely not a "super"star like David or Davies, but the next level like Larin. Which is by no means a slight towards him. We need 5 or 6 guys to reach that level by the end of next year to make a real impact in Qatar.

2 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

I was pretty shocked when he got called up to the Brazil national team. Although, even if the current state of Barcelona isn't that great, there is no shortage of striker options for Brazil. So he must have something pretty special to get that call. 

Millar has the potential to be a star for us. Likely not a "super"star like David or Davies, but the next level like Larin. Which is by no means a slight towards him. We need 5 or 6 guys to reach that level by the end of next year to make a real impact in Qatar.

We might just have them already:

Davies

David

Buchanan

Eustaquio

Larin

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

We might just have them already:

Davies

David

Buchanan

Eustaquio

Larin

I agree. And I wonder if Adegkube might join these ranks, maybe Laryea. Ugbo? In time, Corbeanu. And maybe Vittoria doesn't quite crack these ranks, but he's been damned good for us (and for his club). Millar has the tools to join this group, for sure.

Cabral in 25 games has 24 goals and 8 assists in all competitions 

Including 8 goals and 4 assists in Europa(I know I know conference league that horrible league with Roma and Tottenham Gent , Feyenoord  and Marseille…to name a few in the group stage horrible) 

Cabral earned that Brazil call up. He is a natural born goal scorer. I’m so sick of people shit canning players because they play in the Swiss super league… have a look at the players to come out of their recently…  He’s only 23 too…

And for the record I wouldn’t  rule out Liams ceiling quite yet… they all have different pathways…

12 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Cabral in 25 games has 24 goals and 8 assists in all competitions 

Including 8 goals and 4 assists in Europa(I know I know conference league that horrible league with Roma and Tottenham Gent , Feyenoord  and Marseille…to name a few in the group stage horrible) 

Cabral earned that Brazil call up. He is a natural born goal scorer. I’m so sick of people shit canning players because they play in the Swiss super league… have a look at the players to come out of their recently…  He’s only 23 too…

And for the record I wouldn’t  rule out Liams ceiling quite yet… they all have different pathways…

We have Coutinho at Barça, and he is not playing to his top level. But he is a player who Liam could perfectly well aspire to be like. Left side attack turning in for a right footed shot. Combining in the middle and linking with attackers. Sure, Liam does not have that finesse, but it is not all about flash, and even more so if the flash is not effective.

Liam has more defensive commitment, he has a higher top speed, and vertical dribble in speed and he is learning to score.

These are subtle questions, and I am trying not be dumb here--I don't think Liam will ever sell for a hundred million. It is all a question of being as effective as you can at the level you are, and then, when you get a chance, rise to it. 

My problem with Cabral for Barça is that we are vulnerable, and have too many interested parties hawking players who are not clear upgrades. And the press buys into it. Even signing Xavi is suspicious, since we have yet to see any improvement, and the guy, who IMO is one of the most important players of the century, has only trained in Qatar. So I am not dissing Cabral, I am criticizing Barça while also pointing out that scouts will be watching Basel these weeks and that is good for Liam too. 

Edit: as many know, Barça was founded by a Swiss man, Hans Gamper, and the colours, though from the original FC Zurich (which he also helped found), were also FC Basel colours. So there is this historical affinity that occasionally gets mentioned (and misconstrued).

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

3-1 win today came on at half time and added some much needed urgency

(was1-0 at ht) did really well combined well and really should of had a goal two really good chances and set up a sitter for Cabral!! (That he missed) All round very good performance in the snow…

on a side note sofa score the ratings are a bit all over the place sometimes … not just this game but I’m general… would love to see their matrix…!!

On 11/28/2021 at 10:40 AM, spitfire said:

3-1 win today came on at half time and added some much needed urgency

(was1-0 at ht) did really well combined well and really should of had a goal two really good chances and set up a sitter for Cabral!! (That he missed) All round very good performance in the snow…

on a side note sofa score the ratings are a bit all over the place sometimes … not just this game but I’m general… would love to see their matrix…!!

according to Fotmob  Millar got a rating of 6.6 with a 70% pass success 

43 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

according to Fotmob  Millar got a rating of 6.6 with a 70% pass success 

Again as I said FotMob and sofa score have weird rating sometimes. I’m the first one to say if he didn’t play well but that was never a 6.6. They seem to like over weight the pass completions and mark against if u cross the ball or put a through ball in that the player doenst get to(even if they should have. Like I said I’d love to see the algorithms…

Anyways here’s link to the YouTube hilights…. Should have scored but something he’s working on 

10 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Again as I said FotMob and sofa score have weird rating sometimes. I’m the first one to say if he didn’t play well but that was never a 6.6. They seem to like over weight the pass completions and mark against if u cross the ball or put a through ball in that the player doenst get to(even if they should have. Like I said I’d love to see the algorithms…

Anyways here’s link to the YouTube hilights…. Should have scored but something he’s working on 

It'll come with time I am sure. 

The first touch to (Cabral?) was very good however. Getting into those positions is encouraging. 

Edited by Obinna
spelling

I just skimmed through the game. Liam had some good involvement before going out, had a good chance in the 37th minute he probably should have buried. But looked good overall. The game got crazy after he went out with  Cabral putting a penalty off the crossbar, Lausanne scoring a late penalty and the Kashmiri scoring for Basel in extra time. Frantic stuff.

On 11/29/2021 at 10:31 AM, spitfire said:

I usually take all these ratings with a fair degree of skepticism.  After watching (and replaying parts on pvr), I too am often left wondering where and how they come up with the numbers. 

However, too often my experience on here is that if the numbers are positive, it's proof but if the numbers aren't flattering, there's something wrong with the system (like my bathroom scale that keeps insisting that I am 15 pounds overweight!  What's up with that??).  I didn't see this particular match so can't give an opinion either way.

12 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Liam played the last 30 in a 3-0 win in the Europa conference league. FC Basel finished top of their group and now head to the round of 16. 

Were you able to see it and if so was it long enough to assess his play?

I did attend the game in Basel flew in Today back out tomorrow… filming a football commercial Monday…

He did really well when he saw the ball (didn’t see a lot of it) settled in nicely and did his job. Professional performance. Made a difference and stretched the game got a 7.2 on SofaScore…🤔 

That’s why he came to FC Basel for these kind of experiences European nights!  A game every 4 days until Dec 19th now so lots of games. …

continuing to improve a solid important member of FC Basel happy for him. 

30 minutes ago, spitfire said:

I did attend the game in Basel flew in Today back out tomorrow… filming a football commercial Monday…

He did really well when he saw the ball (didn’t see a lot of it) settled in nicely and did his job. Professional performance. Made a difference and stretched the game got a 7.2 on SofaScore…🤔 

That’s why he came to FC Basel for these kind of experiences European nights!  A game every 4 days until Dec 19th now so lots of games. …

continuing to improve a solid important member of FC Basel happy for him. 

Thanks, we have so many Canucks to follow these European nights. 

Interesting that both Basel and Young Boys are not doing as well in the league lately--would you say that is playing in Europe affecting them, with more fixtures, squads not deep enough? What is Liam's take on that?