Mark-Anthony Kaye

Dub Narcotic

28 minutes ago, Shway said:

For me, Millar is one who I think will be a shock surprise omission. From what I've seen, I think Tabla and Millar have similar skillsets, just Tabla is better for me. Yes, he isn't playing much at Albacete on loan from Barcelona for whatever reason (neither is Davies who is sitting on the bench at Bayern) but Millar is just starting to get his first few minutes of first team football, while Tabla has already played pro gamesome and showed out at Montreal. Also, SPL is probably on par with the LaLiga 2 (except for Celtic and Rangers)...so comparing leagues is all relative. I also think Herdman probably gave Tabla some guarantees with his committing to the CMNT.....we shall see.

He isn’t even getting on the bench half the time and there’s a bit of a difference in between not playing for Bayern vs a Spanish 2nd division team. Both Millar and Davies have both scored off the bench and have definitely been better in their performance than tabla. If herdman gave tabla a guarantee to be called even if he’s done nothing than that’s bullshit. If Millar isn’t on the final roster than the csa and Herdman are completely taking the piss.

17 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

If Millar isn’t on the final roster than the csa and Herdman are completely taking the piss.

How? He only has played a total 117 minutes in 9 sub appearances, no starts. This is first half season as a professional. He's very talented and has tons of projection to have a very long career with Canada (2022,2026,2030 cycles) at age 19 with 4 caps and developed at one of the biggest clubs in the world there's no denying his quality and what he can bring for the NT, what I'm saying is Akindele is in better form. If it came down to Millar between David, I'd pick Jonathan. Now between Liam and Ricketts, do we go with someone who's international career is just starting or on the ending? That's the question we should be asking, the right balance between Youth, Mid-age and Experience has to be there; but at the same the best should be there regardless of age, form or another reason. Theres always exceptions such as Cyle Larin, awful season in Turkey, but do we include him in our 23? Of course we do

2 hours ago, Big_M said:

mls inferior to lituanian league..spl on par with laliga 2..ooff getting a lot of things wrong

Sorry I clearly got lost in my words. Let me correct myself "Lithuanian League is inferior to MLS"

However, SPL soccer is horrid. Rarely is there technical qualities displayed in that league. Every time I watch, I feel like a player is liable to break their leg from a two-footed tackle, that the ref sees but allows. The game is played a better way in Spain, and you can see it in LaLiga 2. 

Here’s my 23 for the gold cup

Goalkeepers (3)

gk Borjan

gk Crepeau

gk Thomas 

defenders(8)

Rb Godinho

RB Guillard 

Cb James 

Cb Henry 

Cb Vitoria 

Cb Cornelius 

Lb adekugbe

Lb Kaye 

Midfielders (5)

CDM Hutchison 

Cdm piette 

cm Ossorio

Cm arfield

cm Teibert

Wingers (4)

Lm Davies

Rm Hoillet 

Rm/Lm Millar

Akindele

Strikers (3)

cavallini 

larin 

david 

15 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Here’s my 23 for the gold cup

Goalkeepers (3)

gk Borjan

gk Crepeau

gk Thomas 

defenders(8)

Rb Godinho

RB Guillard 

Cb James 

Cb Henry 

Cb Vitoria 

Cb Cornelius 

Lb adekugbe

Lb Kaye 

Midfielders (5)

CDM Hutchison 

Cdm piette 

cm Ossorio

Cm arfield

cm Teibert

Wingers (4)

Lm Davies

Rm Hoillet 

Rm/Lm Millar

Akindele

Strikers (3)

cavallini 

larin 

david 

Well put togethe list, Liked everyone except for Thomas and Vitoria. For me Millar is 50/50

Akindele is having a great start to the season at a middling Orlando City.

Ballou is not seeing the field on loan at a club in La liga promotion mix.

I personally think Ballou will somehow make the GC squad, but talk of Akindele replacing him is now fair in my opinion. 

If you subscribe to the form argument, Akindele is the easy choice. If you lean towards experience over youth, Tesho is your guy. However, one must consider that Ballou edges him in recent national team experience. He's simply been part of the squad more. He's also naturally more talented and more of an x-factor, one would argue.

It's going to be interesting, but my money right now is on Tabla, rightly or wrongly.

28 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Akindele is having a great start to the season at a middling Orlando City.

Ballou is not seeing the field on loan at a club in La liga promotion mix.

I personally think Ballou will somehow make the GC squad, but talk of Akindele replacing him is now fair in my opinion. 

If you subscribe to the form argument, Akindele is the easy choice. If you lean towards experience over youth, Tesho is your guy. However, one must consider that Ballou edges him in recent national team experience. He's simply been part of the squad more. He's also naturally more talented and more of an x-factor, one would argue.

It's going to be interesting, but my money right now is on Tabla, rightly or wrongly.

I think for a 23 man roster you want to have 3 options for the position of target forward that Herdman likes to play, with maybe one of them also being able to play one of the wing positions in a 4-3-3. If one of Cavallini or Larin gets injured or suspended ahead of a key game (like a knockout round game) that only leaves one option up top for an entire game. In addition to good recent form, this is where Akindele may have an advantage as I don't see Tabla being a replacement for Larin or Cavallini but Tesho could play there in a pinch and also be used on the wing. While David will clearly make the final roster of 23 I'm not sure that I would list him as one of the three "Forwards" the way Herdman plays as I can't see him playing up top on his own leading the line as a target man. He needs to play on the wing or with the target man ahead of him. So I can see Akindele getting called back in as I'm not sure who the third choice target forward is on the roster that can also play on the wing. Ricketts? AJH? Hamilton? My guess is Akindele would have the jump on all three because of the extra versatility (AJH of course also has the issue of him not playing much or scoring at all this season so he's hardly got "current form" on his side).

Of course if we had some friendlies like every other self-respecting soccer nation we could try these players out in these positions a bit more mind you. No friendlies in 13 months and just four other games against minnows in the interim leaves you with limited knowledge of the strengths of your team and its possible players and formation.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 4:45 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

We are the only national team in the world where the biggest prize for the best player is to be put at Left Back. The fight for the position is ferocious.

I think Herdman must have decided LB is a key part of the field on the basis of feng shui, otherwise it makes no sense.

If Tomori decides to come on board, then Herdman will have one more competitor to choose for the highly coveted LB position.;)

Edited by BearcatSA

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, masster said:

Great article on MAK in the Athletic. Seems to bit a lot of bitterness there at being released by TFC. But good for him for using whatever he needs to as motivation to keep improving taking steps forward.
https://theathletic.com/964445/2019/05/06/

Interesting paragraph from the article. Not sure if it was common knowledge that Bradley scouted him from the Gold Cup?

When Kaye arrived in Los Angeles, he was an unheralded left-winger who had been cast off by his hometown club and had started to turn his career around at Louisville City in the USL. But Bob Bradley had seen something when watching Canada play in the Gold Cup, and he felt Kaye could be a real contributor in central midfield.

Full credit to OZ for seeing something in him than most coaches wouldn't have, because in paper "USL guy gets called in gold Cup roster" most of us were curious who this player was and I think it helped him with his club form and then signing for LAFC having that International experience 

Edited by Blackjack15

He’s having a really stellar season that’s for sure.  By my count we have 5 midfielders starting every week in MLS right now which must be an all time high.

If Arfield and Hutch take the 2 starting spots for the GC those 5 players are all competing for 1 spot.  

Probably the fiercest competition for a spot ever.

Based on our quality depth in the center of the park and based on previous games, we could see him start at Left Back.  Good & bad.  Good for the fact that last game he was great at left back for Canada before switching into the midfield 2nd half.  Bad is he is proving to be an elite midfielder in the center of the park.

Hutchinson, Arfield, Osorio, Piette, Teibert even depening if you play Davies out wide, Jonathan David might slid in centrally as well.

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

Can't replace an Atiba Hutchinson.  In my opinion the best player and most successful player to ever wear a Canada jersey.  The addition of Eustaquio will make the transition much easier as well.

Sure you can.  I'm not trying to take anything away from Atiba because I agree about him being the best.  But I think we have a couple of teenagers right now that have good shots at being a better player/more successful in the next 10-15 years.  Breaking into the Belgian and the Bunda as teenagers is a very good start, whether they continue on to Atibas heights, who can say.  And behind Davies, David, Millar etc you have Nelson and HAbibullah that could have similar shots at going on to big things.  

3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Sure you can.  I'm not trying to take anything away from Atiba because I agree about him being the best.  But I think we have a couple of teenagers right now that have good shots at being a better player/more successful in the next 10-15 years.  Breaking into the Belgian and the Bunda as teenagers is a very good start, whether they continue on to Atibas heights, who can say.  And behind Davies, David, Millar etc you have Nelson and HAbibullah that could have similar shots at going on to big things.  

Maybe I should have been a little more clear.  I was referring to his position specifically and his leadership and I was making a statement on his contributions to Canadian soccer more than anything.  I believe he is the best to ever suit up for Canada to date.  However, 20 years from now, I truly believe there will be multiple players to achieve the success he has in his career and even greater.