Dub Narcotic

Mark-Anthony Kaye

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Even more precisely put: who is a better left back, Kaye or Adekugbe? Davies or Adekugbe?

I think Davies is our best left back. Is that in doubt?

The question is whether we should sit other attacking options so that we can move Davies closer to goal.

We've seen what Adekugbe offers in the position. Davies can provide more. I think he's the best option for Canada at several positions,  but we need to figure out how to use him most effectively; and that depends on the other players we have in the squad

8 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Yeah, that didn't work and I think has to end. If there is competition at certain positions, that is great. Bending over backwards to get everyone on at once turned out not to be the best idea.

We should have a formation, and proper competition at each position. So for instance at CM, it is either Kaye or Osorio or Eustáquio, or whoever is on top form. Yes, good players will have to sit, but that will give us great depth and flexibility. And then play proper LBs and LB and RBs at RB, etc.

While you are absolutely right in most cases, our defenders are so bad and our substitute midfielders are so good that you have to consider switching it up. It is definitely a problem though and we really are 4 solid defenders away from being a top 3 CONCACAF team.

Unfortunately with the WCQ system the way it is, we won't have a chance to play top concacaf teams and are already out of the World Cup

16 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I don't doubt Davies will get better at LB if he's made to player there at all for Bayern, but at this point he is not our best option there. At least if you consider actual defending to be at least 50% of the job at that position.

What?  I thought the LB position was only needed to make bombing runs into the opponent's final third and whip in crosses?  Why would you want a LB to defend?  What a waste!

8 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I think Davies is our best left back. Is that in doubt?

The question is whether we should sit other attacking options so that we can move Davies closer to goal.

The answer to your question was in the very next part of my comment, which you left out.

To sit other attacking options, some of which are amongst the most talented on the team, is not easy from a management point of few.

That's what I think may influence some of his decisions.

I'm not saying he is a coward, but I am pointing out that having our star players on the field all at once, regardless of position, means that he keeps his most influential players engaged and happy.

I hope he switches up his approach. We'll find out in a little under a month.

6 hours ago, canadafan101 said:

While you are absolutely right in most cases, our defenders are so bad and our substitute midfielders are so good that you have to consider switching it up. It is definitely a problem though and we really are 4 solid defenders away from being a top 3 CONCACAF team.

Unfortunately with the WCQ system the way it is, we won't have a chance to play top concacaf teams and are already out of the World Cup

I'm just saying the LB/RB was a problem at the Gold Cup, where Davies/Kaye were played out of position at LB, and Godinho/ZBG didn't look great at RB.

So I would try Adekugbe at LB, and a guy like Cordova (a regular starter in the Chilean Primera) at RB. Both are young, mobile, modern fullbacks. And as mentioned, yes this would increase the traffic jam at midfield, but that is where Kaye and Davies should be playing. 

If it doesn't work, then yes, re-visit the Kaye/Davies at LB experiment. But there are more options to try before going to that I feel.

We could play a 4-5-1 to get more midfielders out there. Maybe something like:

......................Cavallini..........................
..Davies...........David...............Hoilett...
................Kaye.......Arfield....................
Adekugbe...Henry....James....Cordova
......................Borjan..........................

Bench (or swap in)
Osorio
Miller
Piette
Eustáquio
Larin
Cornelius
Akindele
Brault-Guillard

4 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I'm just saying the LB/RB was a problem at the Gold Cup, where Davies/Kaye were played out of position at LB, and Godinho/ZBG didn't look great at RB.

So I would try Adekugbe at LB, and a guy like Cordova (a regular starter in the Chilean Primera) at RB. Both are young, mobile, modern fullbacks. And as mentioned, yes this would increase the traffic jam at midfield, but that is where Kaye and Davies should be playing. 

If it doesn't work, then yes, re-visit the Kaye/Davies at LB experiment. But there are more options to try before going to that I feel.

We could play a 4-5-1 to get more midfielders out there. Maybe something like:

......................Cavallini..........................
..Davies...........David...............Hoilett...
................Kaye.......Arfield....................
Adekugbe...Henry....James....Cordova
......................Borjan..........................

Bench (or swap in)
Osorio
Miller
Piette
Eustáquio
Larin
Cornelius
Akindele
Brault-Guillard

The problem I have with that is our midfield could get exposed. Both guys like to push forward, you could put on a more defensive option in Eustaquio/Piette but then Kaye is probably on the bench.

6 hours ago, jonovision said:

I don't doubt Davies will get better at LB if he's made to player there at all for Bayern, but at this point he is not our best option there. At least if you consider actual defending to be at least 50% of the job at that position.

Which players have you been watching? None of our LB options that I’ve watched are particularly strong defenders. Adekugbe included, unless he’s improved in the last year. He’s also quite an attacking fullback. This has been a problem for us for a long time. Well before we tried either MAK or Davies there. 

23 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

This is not directed at you whatsoever just a general opinion... 

To be fair to ZBG, he was given 1 shot at the Gold Cup and it was not even as a RB. It was essentially as a RW in a 3-4-3 vs Mexico in what many could consider an away game. 

Unfortunate ZBG never got a chance at his natural position vs Martinique, Cuba or Haiti. I'm not saying he would have done any better.... But hard to even really judge ZBG as a whole yet at RB for us. 

In my humble opinion, not sure any one on our guys on our RB depth chart has a good game in a 3-4-3 vs Mexico as a RW (we just are not there yet). Where as probably 3-4 different guys on our RB depth chart do just fine vs Cuba & Martinique. I don't even knock Godhino entirely for his Haiti game, considering his lack of game time pre Gold Cup and other factors (but that's an entire different thread).

Honestly, really comes down to more games vs quality opponents before we really know.

100% agree Cordova needs to get a serious look.

25 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Which players have you been watching? None of our LB options that I’ve watched are particularly strong defenders. Adekugbe included, unless he’s improved in the last year. He’s also quite an attacking fullback. This has been a problem for us for a long time. Well before we tried either MAK or Davies there. 

when did Adekugbe last play a full game for the CMNT for anyone to properly assess him? GC 2017 vs CR and Honduras, where we tied both games? in the 2018 season he played 31 games (2600 mins) at LB for Valerenga. In the current season he has already played 11 games (+ 900 mins) 10 as a starter at LB. At  just 24 yrs he has been a consistent starter at LB for a decent team in top tier Norway. No other player comes close to that production at LB. I am not saying he is the solution, but don't you think he should be given a fair chance to prove himself?

16 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

when did Adekugbe last play a full game for the CMNT for anyone to properly assess him? GC 2017 vs CR and Honduras, where we tied both games? in the 2018 season he played 31 games (2600 mins) at LB for Valerenga. In the current season he has already played 11 games (+ 900 mins) 10 as a starter at LB. At  just 24 yrs he has been a consistent starter at LB for a decent team in top tier Norway. No other player comes close to that production at LB. I am not saying he is the solution, but don't you think he should be given a fair chance to prove himself?

The alluring thing about Adekugbe is his consistency at Valerenga, a club that is traditionally mid to upper table in Norway.

That said, I bet very few of us have watched him in Norway week-in and out. I certainly haven't made it a priority to find a stream and watch him.

Thing is, where does Norway stand now a days? It seems like MLS has caught up with and surpassed that league.

- You look at their squad and Efe Juarez is a mainstay at right back and Abu, the former Columbus Crew midfielder and Ghana international seems to get a lot of minutes, although he struggled in MLS (at times).

- The ex-timbers keeper, whose name escapes me, is the starter at Valerenga. He's the Norwegian of Ghanaian heritage who I believe moved out of MLS  in 2016 (I think) when he lost his spot, I think (someone please correct if I am mistaken).

- And finally, we have Adekugbe, the promising home grown Whitecap that couldn't hold down a starting role for whatever reason that surprisingly went on loan in the Championship and managed to get a single game and followed that up with a Swedish loan where he impressed.

Now, it may be the case that four of these players found a new lease on life at Valerenga. Perhaps this environment are bringing the best out of all of them. However, the skeptic in me recalls how each of these players had challenges in MLS. Now all four of them are more or less starters?

To me that may suggest the level is not actually that good. And if the level is not that good, Adekugbe may not be at the level we think. Obviously I want to call him in to find out, because I am optimistic, but I can lay out the case for him not impressing.

Ditto for Cordova btw. I really like the guy, but Anthony Blondell is on loan there at his club and has scored 4 goals in 10 league games. He had 1 in 18 with his parent club Vancouver. Panamanian Gabriel Torres was hot and cold with Colorado Rapids, but went on an absolute monster of a goal scoring tear with Cordova's club.

Again, I want to see Cordova. I believe we should bring him in, but like Adekugbe I am being cautiously optimistic, perhaps hopeful even, that he helps alleviate our fullback issues.

3 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Absolutely, bring him in and give him another look. We need options and tactical flexibility. Adekugbe has always been a pretty good player, but none of those stats suggest to me that he's a better LB than Davies. I really think people are underestimating his defensive abilities. His recovery speed is ridiculous, and he wins nearly every battle. His defensive lapses are less frequent than most defenders his age that I've seen. I get that people want to see him further up the pitch, and that he lost his mark on that goal, but there's a reason Bayern Munich are grooming him to play the position. I'm actually quite surprised that so many think we have better options than Bayern's second choice LB. It was never meant to be a slight on our other players. Davies is just very, very good

To @Obinna, good post: Norwegian football has slipped a lot in the last 20 years, it used to be you could see Rosenborg deep into European competitions, I even remember Viking Stavanger take out Barcelona once, but in the last 10 years we don't see those clubs in Europe at all.

I believe the level in Norway is still ahead of MLS.  I think the stars blind people to the football they’re seeing and it’s exactly why I’m against DPs in CPL.  When you keep players around the same level it creates a more cohesive product and allows you to achieve tactical excellence.  With star/DP players the rosters look nice but often the tactics are swayed toward getting those players on the ball.

Both leagues are ****. Playing time is what matters and good on Adekugbe for finding a good fit. I still remember the U20s when he got ripped a new one and then went nuts on twitter, then not getting a decent opportunity with the Caps, and still he persevered. That's the mentality we need on the CMNT.