Mark-Anthony Kaye

Dub Narcotic

52 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I hope MDS takes him to Vancouver ;)

It would be a good move for Vancouver but from a national team perspective I think the more Canadian players on US teams the better. Let the Canadian teams fill their still minimal Canadian player quotas with young guys or guys needing a team not players who are good enough to get a contract and playing time elsewhere in the league and who do not need any help from the quota. Plus each player in the US gives us one more player to balance the many US players on our teams taking up unfair US quota spots.

Edited by Grizzly

If it wasn’t for MLS treating our players as foreigners we would have Canadians all over the league.  Any Canadian in recent memory who plays (as in gets starter minutes) in the States has generally been a key player for their side: DeRo, Onstad, Serioux, MAK, Johnson, Larin.  I guess that’s the bar MLS sides have for our players.. either you’re a key player or you’re not worth having as a foreigner.  Of course, some of these guys also have green cards which helps.

Twellman needs to chill out but he was ranting about how key MAK was etc. over the course of the last 15 minutes.  Most observers tend to think he’s going to be a stud in the future.. he’ll be 24 next season and he’s obviously set himself apart as a key player for his team.  

What is his role going forward?  Is he a holding midfielder or box to box?  Twellman was ranting about his presence in the middle in slowing down attacks but he was actually being used as an almost attacking mid by LAFC at times.

49 minutes ago, devioustrevor said:

That makes sense though.  Why use a restricted slot for a bit player when you can use it on a difference-maker?

I agree but teams would be more likely to have a Argentinian, Peruvian, Colombian etc. as a bit player than a Canadian... it’s sexier and those players bring people to stadiums. 

Comparatively our bar is a bit higher than other foreigners, which is absurd. 

I’m confident that LAFC will sign him to a contract extension, what worries me more isn’t that after 5 months of not playing will he go back back to the level of play which he wasn’t before? 

Should we have a Camp + Friendly in January (USA) and March game vs FG in CNL he will be called should his club allow it or if MAK himself feels he needs more time to fully recover 

I could see him being one of the last cuts made at the Gold Cup Roster, he’s in that range of in the 23 and just out of it 

49 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Dunno about you guys but I am personally really excited to have Kaye back in the fold. He likely will be competing for minutes against Piette, and I see Herdman using either depending on what the situation calls (Piette being more defensive minded and Kaye more attacking)

I am also very excited. For me his development this year was one of the most exciting stories for the Nats, which is incredible considering Osorio’s performance, Davies’ performance and move to Bayern, Cavallini’s move and improved performance in Liga MX, and Tabla declaring for Canada. All massive stories, and all in one year. Love how MAK was playing for LAFC. This kid’s ceiling is even higher than I thought 

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:17 PM, toontownman said:

I hope MDS takes him to Vancouver ;)

I'd rather he stay in LA and solidify his career breakthrough as he comes back from long term injury.  It's the best place for him.  The Whitecaps are in a rebuilding mood whereas LAFC will be looking to tweak a bit to get over the hump and I am hoping that Bradley the Elder feels that he's a big part of that equation.

MDS is more likely to get Jakovic from LAFC but I'm not sure how the Caps would feel about that.

16 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

I’m confident that LAFC will sign him to a contract extension, what worries me more isn’t that after 5 months of not playing will he go back back to the level of play which he wasn’t before? 

Should we have a Camp + Friendly in January (USA) and March game vs FG in CNL he will be called should his club allow it or if MAK himself feels he needs more time to fully recover 

I could see him being one of the last cuts made at the Gold Cup Roster, he’s in that range of in the 23 and just out of it 

He is better than Teibert and Chapman. He was very important to LAFC prior to his injury and it was recognized by the american commentators during their last playoff game.

Given him being healthy and playing consistently after he recovers, I see him easily making our team

I hope MAK recovers fully and be able to start preseason with LAFC. Because I have a feeling that Bob Bradley is shopping for another DM. LAFC wasn't just quite the same after MAK got injured in midfield. Which speaks to how important MAK was to LAFC, but not having another proper DM cost LAFC in 2nd half of the season and getting knocked out in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Yohan said:

I hope MAK recovers fully and be able to start preseason with LAFC. Because I have a feeling that Bob Bradley is shopping for another DM. LAFC wasn't just quite the same after MAK got injured in midfield. Which speaks to how important MAK was to LAFC, but not having another proper DM cost LAFC in 2nd half of the season and getting knocked out in the playoffs.

I thought the young Colombian Atuesta looked really good as a d-mid the two times  I saw him play, but I guess he didn't do well enough as Kaye's replacement to warrant starts in the last part of the season and this playoff defeat.  I sort of saw a really good three man central midfield (Kaye and Atuesta behind a guy like Nguyen) supporting a strong attacking threesome (Vela/Diomande/Rossi).  Goes to show how easy it is to overrate a guy based on the limited minutes and situations you've seen..   

• 2 weeks later...

I see that Atuesta signed a new three year deal with LAFC, so it once again shows how much I know (or, much more accurately, don't know!).  However, that might be enough for Bradley and Thorrington to let Kaye go to the Caps with MDS?  Maybe?  He'd be a good addition in Vancouver.  Or are they envisioning Atuesta and Kaye in the same midfield behind Nguyen or another AM behind their attacking three for 2019?

Edited by BearcatSA

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I see that Atuesta signed a new three year deal with LAFC, so it once again shows how much I know (or, much more accurately, don't know!).  However, that might be enough for Bradley and Thorrington to let Kaye go to the Caps with MDS?  Maybe?  He'd be a good addition in Vancouver.  Or are they envisioning Atuesta and Kaye in the same midfield behind Nguyen or another AM behind their attacking three for 2019?

I think it's just LAFC locking down a promising player. I think he was captain with Colombia's U-20's, so he does have pedigree despite Kaye beating him.for minutes. It was a bad injury MAK had and while we wish him the best, we don't know for sure how he'll recover, and neither do LAFC. If (heaven forbid) he's not the same player, they definitely can't afford to lose Atuesta, hence the new deal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...