Mark-Anthony Kaye

Dub Narcotic

6 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

Not only does Kaye have the higher ceiling, I think he's above Piette right now.  Don't get me wrong, I love Piette and if my life depended on someone winning a 50-50 ball, I'd choose him over Kaye but in every other aspect, Kaye is a better player.

Hard not to argue that. One thing Piette does have on Kaye right now though is experience and leadership. I agree that Kaye is the better overall footballer, but in terms of value to the team, Piette may still be ahead of him, for the time being. Very good game against DC just now, wearing the captain's armband.

Edited by Obinna

29 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Hard not to argue that. One thing Piette does have on Kaye right now though is experience and leadership. I agree that Kaye is the better overall footballer, but in terms of value to the team, Piette may still be ahead of him, for the time being. Very good game against DC just now, wearing the captain's armband.

As a long time suffering V this is such a good problem to have.

I think it is hard to say who has the most potential. Kaye has more offensive skills but I think many here are underestimating just how effective a destroyer Piette is and how important that is and will be to a Canadian national team that like the Impact has a shaky defence. Also it should be noted that they are virtually the same age, Piette is only 3 weeks older than Kaye.

7 hours ago, Snowcrash said:

Not only does Kaye have the higher ceiling, I think he's above Piette right now.  Don't get me wrong, I love Piette and if my life depended on someone winning a 50-50 ball, I'd choose him over Kaye but in every other aspect, Kaye is a better player.

Piette is the the better Defensive midfielder, Kaye is the better Offensive midfielder, it's a win-win situation for Herdman and Canada ?? Luckily it's not like we have to pick between one or other. I value them equally, as each have various qualities/attributes to offer. I see both of them in our NT going forward and inside the 23-man roster! No need to compare them or disregard one ahead of the other, in fact this is a good problem to have. Maybe Kaye takes Teibert's spot but that is still TBD, all depends if the coaching staff selects Five CM/CDM instead of Six (Atiba, airfield, osorio being the others in play) 

Let's just be happy with what we have and embrace the talent as well as understanding that each player has a role to play for the team. case closed :) Allez Les Rougez 

Edited by Blackjack15

9 hours ago, Snowcrash said:

Also can't forget Eustaquio who's not in the Gold  Cup mix with his knee injury but that's another quality midfielder.

And Will Johnson, Chapman, Wotherspoon. Lots of depth in the center. selection is gonna be tough; Once Atiba retires, Eustaquio claims his spot in the 23 man roster with Piette given the advantage at the CDM Position. 

Edited by Blackjack15

Eustaquio comes with a more pedigree than Kaye, as he came up through the Portuguese leagues as opposed to USL, as well as a big transfer, but I'm not so sure he's better. He very well could be, but I have to see him play.

Kaye has impressed me every time he's played. I remember when OZ included him in the Men's team early and people (including me) were like who the hell is this guy? But OZ was definitely on to something as Kaye has just kept progressing, and is now an everyday starter on a good MLS side.

I think the Atiba comparisons are valid. His football IQ seems very high, and he keeps on progressing. He's versitile like Atiba as well. Will be interesting to see if he tries Europe out in the future. He should just fulfill his Atiba legacy and go to FCK or PSV :lol:

6 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Eustaquio comes with a more pedigree than Kaye, as he came up through the Portuguese leagues as opposed to USL, as well as a big transfer, but I'm not so sure he's better. He very well could be, but I have to see him play.

Kaye has impressed me every time he's played. I remember when OZ included him in the Men's team early and people (including me) were like who the hell is this guy? But OZ was definitely on to something as Kaye has just kept progressing, and is now an everyday starter on a good MLS side.

I think the Atiba comparisons are valid. His football IQ seems very high, and he keeps on progressing. He's versitile like Atiba as well. Will be interesting to see if he tries Europe out in the future. He should just fulfill his Atiba legacy and go to FCK or PSV :lol:

Good on OZ to take the chance and since then,  the young man has gone onwards and upwards from there.

Personally, much sooner than later, both Kaye and Piette should become the regular engine room of our midfield.

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Good on OZ to take the chance and since then,  the young man has gone onwards and upwards from there.

Personally, much sooner than later, both Kaye and Piette should become the regular engine room of our midfield.

I totally agree though Hermand is not going to replace Hutchinson. I guess after the Gold Cup Atiba will retire for the MNT and MAK can take over. 

He’s become probably the 3rd best player on the best team in MLS which is saying something.

When Hutch retires I think he’s going to be pushing Osorio for the 2nd advanced CM spot alongside Arfield and that’s impressive.

I still can’t believe the quality depth we have as these guys develop.

Edited by baulderdash77

Props to OZ for the scouting recognition and springboard his career after GC 2017. 

Props to Bradley and his team at LAFC, signing him, playing him and developing him at LAFC.  He is only getting better and better at LAFC.

Biggest props to MAK himself with his work ethic, commitment, dedication and humbleness. Huge ankle surgery last year also and is playing even more confident this season.

Edited by apbsmith

Looking forward to watching MAK and Atuesta on Wednesday.  The Caps need to use three guys to do the similar graft work which LA gets from these two, with neither one being on a cap crushing salary (at least as far as I know).  Obviously, I'm making an overly simplistic comparison without considering other important factors in play here, but regardless it shows what you can do when get the right complementary personnel in place.

I hope MAK keeps it rolling!

On 4/14/2019 at 11:20 AM, apbsmith said:

Props to Bradley and his team at LAFC, signing him, playing him and developing him at LAFC.  He is only getting better and better at LAFC.

I'm sure we have Marc Dos Santos to thank for that. And props to MAK for having enough ambition to leave Toronto in order to keep progressing. Something other young Canadians in MLS should take note of. Next thing you realize is you're 26, your breakout year was 2 years ago, and you're still a bench player. Right AJH?