Mark-Anthony Kaye

Dub Narcotic

24 minutes ago, Shakmur said:

And props to MAK for having enough ambition to leave Toronto in order to keep progressing. Something other young Canadians in MLS should take note of. Next thing you realize is you're 26, your breakout year was 2 years ago, and you're still a bench player. Right AJH?

Except MAK didn't leave Toronto on his own, he was deemed excess after being a middling LB on a USL contract for TFC 2. Meanwhile, AJH was on the IMFC first team and scoring goals in MLS. It wasn't until last year that he stagnated.

Kudos to Kaye for forging a path elsewhere, but let's not compare apples to oranges.

8 minutes ago, RS said:

Except MAK didn't leave Toronto on his own, he was deemed excess after being a middling LB on a USL contract for TFC 2. Meanwhile, AJH was on the IMFC first team and scoring goals in MLS. It wasn't until last year that he stagnated.

Kudos to Kaye for forging a path elsewhere, but let's not compare apples to oranges.

Even though AJH was scoring in MLS and MAK was playing at TFC 2, it wasn't long after until he impressed at the U23 camp in Qatar. That was the first time I watched him closely, and I could immediately see why people were excited about him. 

At that point, I really felt he would earn senior caps for Canada. If someone had told me back then that Kaye would win more caps than AJH, I wouldn't dismiss it as crazy. Kaye was (and is) just a better overall footballer, while Jackson is a very good finisher but is lacking so many other qualities.

In fact, it was quite apparent he lacked a lot of fundamental qualities, even when he was scoring a few years ago.

He is fast, but doesn't have elite speed. He is an alright dribbler, but definitely not great. Same for his first touch, shooting ability, hold up play, etc. I would rate Akindele ahead of him in all these categories, except for finishing.

I had hoped that, eventually, Jackson-Hamel would round out his game and add more outside of finishing, but that hasn't happened and that's probably why he hasn't seen much of the field.

Just now, Obinna said:

Even though AJH was scoring in MLS and MAK was playing at TFC 2, it wasn't long after until he impressed at the U23 camp in Qatar. That was the first time I watched him closely, and I could immediately see why people were excited about him. 

That's when I first noticed him, too. His positive attributes are really salient, I'm surprised he wasn't seen as a better prospect before his break out.

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

At that point, I really felt he would earn senior caps for Canada. If someone had told me back then that Kaye would win more caps than AJH, I wouldn't dismiss it as crazy. Kaye was (and is) just a better overall footballer, while Jackson is a very good finisher but is lacking so many other qualities.

In fact, it was quite apparent he lacked a lot of fundamental qualities, even when he was scoring a few years ago.

He is fast, but doesn't have elite speed. He is an alright dribbler, but definitely not great. Same for his first touch, shooting ability, hold up play, etc. I would rate Akindele ahead of him in all these categories, except for finishing.

I had hoped that, eventually, Jackson-Hamel would round out his game and add more outside of finishing, but that hasn't happened and that's probably why he hasn't seen much of the field.

That's certainly a fair assessment. My point was that AJH wasn't simply allowing himself to stagnate as @Shakmur suggested. He was playing quite regularly in MLS at the same time that MAK was establishing himself in the USL at Louisville.

Not everyone is going to be able to take the same path to success. MAK's done a great job getting where he is, but I don't see how it takes away from anyone else.

2 minutes ago, RS said:

That's certainly a fair assessment. My point was that AJH wasn't simply allowing himself to stagnate as @Shakmur suggested. He was playing quite regularly in MLS at the same time that MAK was establishing himself in the USL at Louisville.

Not everyone is going to be able to take the same path to success. MAK's done a great job getting where he is, but I don't see how it takes away from anyone else.

I see what your saying, but going back to Shakmur's comment about AJH not taking a chance elsewhere, it does make me wonder where he'd be if he dropped down a level.

Would he develop those missing qualities? Would he just rack up goals without developing in other areas? We don't know the answer, obviously.

And in some ways, it's not fair to the player. If he leaves the criticism is typically that he didn't stay and fight, but if he stays and doesn't play you get people like Shakmur. So from that perspective, I am on your side.

That said, I get the sense he would have been better off going elsewhere, where he can at least score more. Like I said, not sure if he would fill the holes in his game by playing at a lower level, but he would be scoring regularly regardless, which he is not doing now, because he can't get on the field for long enough.

It's like Tosaint Ricketts, I would rather him scoring regularly at a lower level, than not seeing the field in MLS.

Let's all agree that MAK has become one of the best central midfielders Canada currently has or dare I even the MLS for that matter.  It really goes to show how far hes come to break through at one of the best MLS teams and based in the US.  Aside from orlando, we don't have any players playing meaningful minutes in the MLS outside of Canada currently.

His emergence is going to make it difficult for both Will Johnson & Teibert to crack Canada's team.  Unfortunately for them, the position is just too deep.  In the short term MAK at outside back might help their case.

Top MLS Canadian Central Midfielders

MAK - Can play defensive mid and box to box midfield role.  Has shown he is a valuable player going forward but can also play defense.

Osorio - Can play a central midfield role and has creativity going forward.  Can also play out wide as he has this year for TFC.

Piette - Pitbull at defensive midfield.  Plays that role perfectly.

Top Canadian Central Midfielders Abroad

Hutchinson - Solid defensive/central midfielder who has proven that he can also attack and score goals and provide assists.  Can also play defense.

Arfield - Excellent box to box midfielder and provides a lot going forward as well as toughness.

Eustaquio - Very skilled defensive midfielder with great vision and distribution.  Very similar to a Busquets or player along those lines.

David - Arguably our most lethal attacking midfield option with the ability to also play out wide.

I have just listed 7 very good central midfielders that all offer something different and for the most part are very versatile.  That list also does not include Hoilett who could slide into the central midfield as well if needed.

In my opinion, Johnson, Chapman, Teibert etc. are all going to have difficulty breaking the first squad in the coming years.  They may make the odd 23 man roster but should definitely be included in friendlies if they continue to play regularly.

Its all perspective, of course things could change.

1 minute ago, BFBF said:

MAK absolutely tearing it up right with 2 assists against Seattle. First assist was a beautiful pass through 3 players to put Vela in on goal. Second a great breakup of a seattle pass that quickly countered for a goal. 

Hard to keep him off the Nat's lineup with what he is doing right now.

And a third on another great through ball

1 minute ago, BearcatSA said:

He should definitely be starting, but I sense that it might be as our LB.

This is my concern. However with squad rotation required for the gold cup,, i think we'll see him in his natural position. 

To everyone's dismay I see Davies playing LB. 

Unsurprising that his 3 assists give him the nod this week. Hamilton on the bench thanks to his brace.

Watched the MLS review show for week 8, and the pundits are gushing over him now more than ever. They are gushing over LAFC in general, and Kaye has been a big part of their success.

Moreover, he is the first young(ish) usl product to really make an impact in mls, so I think their praise for mak is a round-about way of giving props to usl as an emerging feeder league, which I'm sure they are dying to see.

None of that takes away from kaye, he deserves all of this praise, but I think it's worth pointing this out...

19 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

He should definitely be starting, but I sense that it might be as our LB.

We are the only national team in the world where the biggest prize for the best player is to be put at Left Back. The fight for the position is ferocious.

I think Herdman must have decided LB is a key part of the field on the basis of feng shui, otherwise it makes no sense.

What I could see happening for the 23-man roster for the Gold cup is that Herdman brings 3 GK's, 7 defenders, 6 central midfielders, 4 wingers and 3 centre forwards 

Something like this:

GK - Milan Borjan 

GK - Maxime Crepeau

GK - [TBD]

----------------------------------

LB - Sam Adekugbe

CB - Manjrekar James

CB - Doneil Henry

CB - Derek Cornelius

CB - Kamal Miller

RB - Marcus Godihno

RB - Zach Brault-Guillard

--------------------------------------

CDM - Atiba Hutchinson

CDM - Sam Piette

CM - Jonathan Osorio

CM - Scott Arfield

CM - Russell Teibert

CM/LB - Mark Anthony Kaye

----------------------------------

W - Junior Hoilett

W - Alphonso Davies

W - Tesho Akindele

W - Liam Millar 

---------------------------------

CF - Lucas Cavallini 

CF - Cyle Larin

CF - Jonathan David*

The reason being that Adekugbe is our starting LB; playing week in week out in Norway. Morgan, Levis little to no playing time in MLS. MAK is a CM first and foremost but can play LB should Canada need it although the biggest thing is that there is so much central depth in the midfield that it was hard to leave one of those six out of the roster. 

Who misses the cut: 

GK - [TBD], LB - Morgan/Levis, CB - Straith, CB - CPL, RB - Laryea/Cordova, MF - Johnson, MF - Wotherspoon, W - Edwards, W - Tabla, CF - Ricketts, CF - Hamilton/AJH

* = David can also CAM or on the wing as he has done for Gent this season. As well as for Canada vs FG when Davies got injured, Maybe consider him sliding him as a winger for Millar and using the 3rd CF spot for Ricketts who's the most experienced behind Atiba and is doing well in Lithuania?

Edited by Blackjack15

16 minutes ago, Shway said:

Good list @Blackjack15 but I think as of right now:

- Kamal will miss out for Edgar
- Liam MIllar will miss out for Tabla
- Tesho will miss out for RIcketts

Herdman will want some experience, especially when squad rotation will be the key reason why Edgar and Ricketts make the squad. 

Formerly Jahinho Guerro

Personally I would put Straith ahead of Edgar, German 3rd div much better than English 5th tier, also they have the similar amount of caps, Adam has 43, Edgar has 41. One has been playing two full consistent seasons the other is coming off a injury. Straith is also 3 years younger, at 28yo; you can still get that experience in the back line, more so leadership not so much playing.

Millar has played 9 games, scoring 1 goal off the bench for Kilmarnock in the Scottish premiership since his loan from Liverpool. Limited minutes, yet to make a pro start, although much much better than Tabla who has dissapeared of the match day squad since arriving at Albacete Balompie. They're getting promoted to La Liga, he should have gone to a club in the Spanish segunda where he could have gotten more chances. 

I don't think Tesho is in direct competition with Ricketts, Tosaint is a CF, Tesho has always played as a Left-Right Winger/Midfield. MLS is much higher level than Lithuania and they're both in form and scoring so the level of the league wins that argument 

31 minutes ago, Shway said:

Good list @Blackjack15 but I think as of right now:

- Kamal will miss out for Edgar
- Liam MIllar will miss out for Tabla
- Tesho will miss out for RIcketts

Herdman will want some experience, especially when squad rotation will be the key reason why Edgar and Ricketts make the squad. 

Formerly Jahinho Guerro

No chance tabla gets ahead of Millar. I think tablas gotten on the field since his loan started. While Millar has not started yet, he has had strong impacts off the bench, and from what I’ve read, the kilmarnock supporters think he’s deserving of a start. I also can’t see rickets coming after his move to the Lithuanian league.

Ricketts is "proven" 

17 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

Personally I would put Straith ahead of Edgar, German 3rd div much better than English 5th tier, also they have the similar amount of caps, Adam has 43, Edgar has 41. One has been playing two full consistent seasons the other is coming off a injury. Straith is also 3 years younger, at 28yo; you can still get that experience in the back line, more so leadership not so much playing.

Millar has played 9 games, scoring 1 goal off the bench for Kilmarnock in the Scottish premiership since his loan from Liverpool. Limited minutes, yet to make a pro start, although much much better than Tabla who has dissapeared of the match day squad since arriving at Albacete Balompie. They're getting promoted to La Liga, he should have gone to a club in the Spanish segunda where he could have gotten more chances. 

I don't think Tesho is in direct competition with Ricketts, Tosaint is a CF, Tesho has always played as a Left-Right Winger/Midfield. MLS is much higher level than Lithuania and they're both in form and scoring so the level of the league wins that argument 

57 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

No chance tabla gets ahead of Millar. I think tablas gotten on the field since his loan started. While Millar has not started yet, he has had strong impacts off the bench, and from what I’ve read, the kilmarnock supporters think he’s deserving of a start. I also can’t see rickets coming after his move to the Lithuanian league.

While I agree that someone else "should be" called up over Edgar. The reality is that guys like Straith have never been called up under Herdmans reign vs Edgar who has been called up to every game albeit one because he was injured (iirc). In those 4 games he played a total of 31 minutes. It's clear that Herdman calls him up for more than his ability to play. He brings something that is valuable to Herdman and the team. 

Tesho is definitely in direct competition. Although he has played some wing, he'll tell you he's a FW - and that's where he's currently playing/performing. Like Tesho, Tosaint has also played as LW/RW before (even with Canada) but if we're being technical, Tosaint is only a striker. He's someone who plays on the shoulders of the last defenders to chase balls and is also good aerial. He's not a hold up CF. Yes MLS is inferior to the Lithuanian league, there's no conversation there. But Tosaint is different from the crop of strikers/forwards we have (Larin/Cavallini). No none has his pace, and no one else has his proven track record to score against lesser opponents, which will be vital if Herdman is looking to rotate the squad against the likes of Cuba or Monserratt, plus he is in scoring form. Also if we are going solely off just current performances, Jordan Hamilton might stake his claim with his 5 goals in 5 games - but even then I think he's a long shot. 

For me, Millar is one who I think will be a shock surprise omission. From what I've seen, I think Tabla and Millar have similar skillsets, just Tabla is better for me. Yes, he isn't playing much at Albacete on loan from Barcelona for whatever reason (neither is Davies who is sitting on the bench at Bayern) but Millar is just starting to get his first few minutes of first team football, while Tabla has already played pro games and showed out at Montreal. Also, SPL is probably on par with the LaLiga 2 (except for Celtic and Rangers)...so comparing leagues is all relative. I also think Herdman probably gave Tabla some guarantees with his committing to the CMNT.....we shall see.