The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

I rather him stay in the championship than play for the Whitecaps.

I'd rather him play anywhere in Canada. Most mainstream sports watchers (NHL, MLB, NBA) watching TSN/SportsNet will also pay attention to MLS and any increased familiarity with Canadian soccer stars will only increase the interest in the men's national team.

Hoilett's skill level is not going to change that much no matter where he lands whether MLS or Championship.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

https://canadasoccer.com/profile/?id=7582#tab2

He had nothing in his first 8 games. Then, here are his games with goals or assists.

Sep. 2016 WCQ El Salvador - 2 assists
Oct. 2016 Friendly Mauritania - 1 assist
Jul. 2017 GC Jamaica - 1 goal
Sep. 2017 Friendly Jamaica - 1 assist
Sep. 2018 NLQ USVI - 1 goal 2 assists
Oct. 2018 NLQ Dominica - 1 goal
Mar. 2019 NLQ French Guiana - 1 goal 1 assist
Jun. 2019 GC Martinique - 1 goal
Jun. 2019 GC Cuba - 1 goal 2 assists
Sep. 2019 NL Cuba - 3 goals 1 assist
Mar. 2021 WCQ Cayman Islands - 2 assists
Jun. 2021 WCQ Aruba - 1 goal
Jun. 2021 WCQ Haiti - 1 goal
July 2021 GC Martinique - 2 assists

11 goals, 14 assists

Based on above, if my math is correct:

32 caps minus 8 caps to start his international career equals 24 caps.

So that would make 25 goal contributions in his last 24 international caps (many of those appearances coming off the bench).  Not bad for a player that some have been calling washed up for a few years.

Junior is frustrating sometimes, he will disappear if something isn't driving him, it seems.  

He still has a ton of skill and some great experience to pass on but I think he needs the right situation.   

I don't honestly know which one that would be in MLS.  Reading is interesting and often competitive but they are probably bringing in Bolasie who would be a similar player and I would want Junior to make sure he was playing a lot.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

25 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

With Davies potentially out of Sept WCQ, I  hope Hoilett lands with a decent team asap and gets playing time. Jnr and Larin are the only forwards that have WCQ experience from 2018 and both have played Honduras & El Salvador in CA

Davies is out 4-6 weeks. He will be ready in September. 

12 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Junior is frustrating sometimes, he will disappear if something isn't driving him, it seems.  

He still has a ton of skill and some great experience to pass on but I think he needs the right situation.   

I don't honestly know which one that would be in MLS.  Reading is interesting and often competitive but they are probably bringing in Bolasie who would be a similar player and I would want Junior to make sure he was playing a lot.  

Reading is a bit of a basket case club, financially at least. Embargoes and all that - really reliant and cracking back through to the Prem for their immediate survival. Although to be fair that applies to pretty much every club save for maybe Luton and Barnsley.

On 7/14/2021 at 1:29 AM, TGAA_Star said:

Hope Hoilett if he does stay in England he manages to sign with a team in the Premier League.

But honestly, to be honest, I actually want him to go to MLS. A team that can definitely use him other than the Whitecaps are TFC (Toronto FC).

I would like to see Reading. I know 'boro have also been linked, but Reading finished higher in the table last season, I believe. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I would like to see Reading. I know 'boro have also been linked, but Reading finished higher in the table last season, I believe. 

Reading are in the shit financially though and Warnock has a decent record in the championship. My only concern is whether he gets starting minutes enough. He was old reliable for Warnock at Cardiff but more than not on the bench in the end wasnt he?

• 2 weeks later...

With the players we have out he was pivotal for us today. Hope he shakes off the knock for Thursday.

Interested to see what Herdman thinks will be most effective vs 🇲🇽

Could have Jr. Play as a withdrawn striker and unleash Corbeanu from the start. Probably most likely to stick to the plan thats been working. Henry in for Vitoria, Tesho in for Cavs. 

Either way interesting to see where he ends up after. He has been in the UK so long I expect thats his first choice but maybe the 💰💰 from MLS or elsewhere in Europe could sway him.