The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

7 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Unfortunately we have seen the best Junior has to offer lately and English clubs have not. Really hope he finds a place. 

You would think though that any club with some interest in him would take the time to watch his latest participation with our National Team, it would be crazy not to if you are going to invest in a player!

15 minutes ago, gator said:

You would think though that any club with some interest in him would take the time to watch his latest participation with our National Team, it would be crazy not to if you are going to invest in a player!

True.  But teams (English teams in my personal knowledge) have been burned by players who had good tournaments. 

I wonder if clubs haven't offered him as much as he has hoped yet, and maybe he thinks holding out until closer to the end of the transfer window or just after it closes will bring more offers. Junior could have a few clubs who are much more interested if their first choice transfers don’t come off and then transfer window closes, meaning they could be stuck with no incoming attackers until January at the earliest. 

Junior Hoilett had a "great" tournament in my estimation, but that's my opinion as a Canadian fan.

I think the truth is that most neutrals would consider his showing to be "good", not great.

He wasn't starring for the championship team, nor was  named to the team of the tournament and he didn't win any of the awards.

He did score a couple of goals and in my opinion was a top 3 player for the team which reached the semi finals, but I ask myself would a similar player earn a move from that had this been the Asian Cup or African Cup of Nations? Probably not.

I know Hoilett will find the right situation soon, so I am not tooo worried. I just wanted to bring some reality to how important his Gold Cup performance was in the grand scheme of things.

DISCLAIMER: I AM IN NO WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM SUGGESTING THE GOLD CUP IS NOT IMPORTANT.

Edited by Obinna
Disclaimer

54 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Junior Hoilett had a "great" tournament in my estimation, but that's my opinion as a Canadian fan.

I think the truth is that most neutrals would consider his showing to be "good", not great.

For me, he punched above my expectations with the many minutes he logged as a starter.  I had doubts about his engine in the latter stages of a match but he did well and still posed a threat.  However, with us going forward, I still see him as a supersub, a real X factor for us off the bench.

As for the tourney being a springboard for a new club, I am thinking that his situation probably has more to do with terms than not having suitors, like what @maccaliamhas suggested.

7 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

No.  Objectively, he had a great tournament.  The numbers don't lie.

E7fHsuxWUAQh-VU.jpg

I thought he was great in that striker role to the point where I honestly think Canada should consider starting him. His control, vision, distribution is a big asset even if it means possibly sitting Larin imo.

10 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

No.  Objectively, he had a great tournament.  The numbers don't lie.

E7fHsuxWUAQh-VU.jpg

I am very proud of the tournament he had. It almost felt like a reminder that he's a starting-caliber player for Canada.

But aside from playing well, you probably need at least one of the following in order generate a move from the Gold Cup:

• Concacaf Gold Cup title
  • Player of the tournament/golden boot/etc.
  • Team of the tournament

Case in point: Buchanan (who went 2/3). 

And yes, I know there is nuance to what I am saying. You can earn a move without any of that, you can earn all the accolades and fail to generate a buzz, etc.

I too wish he was able to generate more of a buzz off the strength of his tournament, but for that you probably need some accolades.

5 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

Maybe he's waiting for Reading's transfer embargo to drop. He's good, but the wages he might want at a location close to home could be hard to find the year after COVID.

I don't know anything about Reading's transfer embargo, but I thought those usually only apply to paying transfer fees. I think you can still sign free agents, which I believe Hoilett is.

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

I wonder if he isn’t being signed because of his potential absences in Sep, Oct and Nov.  His wages need to be paid but he’ll likely be away for at least 10-14 days each of those months.

The clubs will be on international break anyhow so not sure why this would make a difference.

2 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The clubs will be on international break anyhow so not sure why this would make a difference.

I think what JamboAl is saying is why would a club sign a guy now, pay him 3 months' wages for only a few games, rather than wait those 3 months and save the cash. Personally I don't imagine that's the case, but with so many clubs going into financial hell who the heck knows what they're thinking anymore

1 minute ago, El Diego said:

I think what JamboAl is saying is why would a club sign a guy now, pay him 3 months' wages for only a few games, rather than wait those 3 months and save the cash. Personally I don't imagine that's the case, but with so many clubs going into financial hell who the heck knows what they're thinking anymore

Clubs in the Championship aren't playing only a few games though. They're playing 2 games a week and every one counts toward the big $ prize of promotion. 

1 minute ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Clubs in the Championship aren't playing only a few games though. They're playing 2 games a week and every one counts toward the big $ prize of promotion. 

Fair enough, my comment of "a few games" admittedly didn't have much thought behind it

19 minutes ago, Kent said:

I don't know anything about Reading's transfer embargo, but I thought those usually only apply to paying transfer fees. I think you can still sign free agents, which I believe Hoilett is.

He is, but I think the embargoes also restrict wages that can be offered and limit clubs to hiring only the necessary number of players to fill the squad. To be fair, I'm not hip to Reading's exact restrictions.

2 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Thanks @El Diego for reading my mind.  
There is the big money of promotion but look at all the clubs who are on transfer embargoes or are at wages being 90-95% of revenues.  Money is very tight outside of the Premier League (and even for some clubs inside it).

22 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm also shocked he has signed. He has a professional agent, he did not play hardly at all for Cardiff the latter part of the season, but he has a strong reputation and quality that is known. There is a TUDN Mexico clip of his chip goal vs. Costa Rica that has a lot of views (not OneSoccer, because they are too obtuse to do such things). His name is out there. 

The only thing I could figure is that either he has a lot of offers to decide on, or that the money offered has seriously dropped--and both could be possible.

Off base again about social media. Every rights holder including OneSoccer does clips of goals. 24.5k views.

21 minutes ago, red card said:

Off base again about social media. Every rights holder including OneSoccer does clips of goals. 24.5k views.

Careful, you might kick off another 12-paragraph rant...

(They also posted this goal clip to YouTube and Instagram, as they normally do, although the views aren't very impressive.)

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

I am very proud of the tournament he had. It almost felt like a reminder that he's a starting-caliber player for Canada.

But aside from playing well, you probably need at least one of the following in order generate a move from the Gold Cup:

• Concacaf Gold Cup title
  • Player of the tournament/golden boot/etc.
  • Team of the tournament

Case in point: Buchanan (who went 2/3). 

And yes, I know there is nuance to what I am saying. You can earn a move without any of that, you can earn all the accolades and fail to generate a buzz, etc.

I too wish he was able to generate more of a buzz off the strength of his tournament, but for that you probably need some accolades.

I'd say it's more about scouting, no serious team is going to look at if you won an award and then start going through old videos. Scout first always, if you don't do it directly then through independent scouts. 

He's older, probably was on a good salary, and likely prefers to avoid a 1-year contract. No scout, however insistent, can get a club around all that. 

He probably will have to sign below expectations. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

25 minutes ago, red card said:

Far more views on TUDN, 5-6 times more, for a player unrelated to their fan base. 

Funny you think OneSoccer does clips of all key goals (they don't) or that they do a comparable job hyping Canadian talent. They do it mosyly half assed, boringly, with dry titles. But I guess Wheeler compensates for the dullness of presentation, for the few who bother to take a look. 

They can't even generate the most viewed version of the Haiti keeper blooper, one of the few exceptions where they worked at hyping a clip,titling it enticingly. 

11 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Far more views on TUDN, 5-6 times more, for a player unrelated to their fan base.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but are you  giving plaudits to @TUDNUSA, a Twitter account with nearly 47x as many followers as @OneSoccer, for accumulating "5-6 times more" views of the Hoilett goal?

11 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They can't even generate the most viewed version of the Haiti keeper blooper, one of the few exceptions where they worked at hyping a clip,titling it enticingly. 

Once again: Tell me you don't know how social media works without telling me you don't know how social media works.

(I'm really trying not to pile on you here, but you really seem to love to tell others how wrong they are about this topic while obviously having little clue how it works yourself.)