The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

I was going over his background with Turkish offers. He was already rumoured in 2012, think it was Galatasaray. Then there was a Besiktas rumour about 5 years ago. So he's been rumoured or had feelers over the years. 

Yeni just promoted to the Superlig in 2017. They played Europa League 2019-20. So they are on the rise, but still a newish team (founded 25 years ago) with no top flight tradition, and probably trying to consolidate in first tier. They were in the bottom half of the league last year and flirted with relegation all season.

Edit: add another Turkish rumour: the new managers at Goztepe were said to be interested in him at the end of the season, in late May early June. Goztepe has more money than Yeni Malatyaspor.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Looks like he should get opportunities to play, the guys playing on the wing for Reading in the first three games were young and listed at different positions.  One winger on the bench. 

My brother's in-laws are Reading and they said he is the first Canadian there since Bob Lenarduzzi.  No idea if it is true. 

23 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Looks like he should get opportunities to play, the guys playing on the wing for Reading in the first three games were young and listed at different positions.  One winger on the bench. 

My brother's in-laws are Reading and they said he is the first Canadian there since Bob Lenarduzzi.  No idea if it is true. 

We are glad "your brother's in-laws are Reading", mine's are too (that was an easy one ;) ). 

I've gotten so used to those really in the know about English football slagging and tearing apart this or that team or manager, so I suppose this is not happening here? Good choice?

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We are glad "your brother's in-laws are Reading", mine's are too (that was an easy one ;) ). 

I've gotten so used to those really in the know about English football slagging and tearing apart this or that team or manager, so I suppose this is not happening here? Good choice?

To be fair to the previous poster, brother’s in laws could actually be the correct way to get across what he was trying to get across. As in my brother’s wife’s family would be my brother’s in-laws.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Good choice for Junior? 

Reading have decent demanding support, good sized stadium.  I know they were in relegation trouble 3/4 years ago but stayed up.  7th last year, kept their manager, for once - they have had at least one different one every year since they went down from the Premier League 7/8 years ago.    The manager came from MLS, so I don't know him, some on here probably would. 

From that 7th placed team, I know Palace bought their attacking midfielder that has a lot of promise and was certainly producing at that level - Michael Olise.  Other than that they still have their main goal scorers.  Lost a DM they had on loan from Benifica and have been giving up goals for fun this year, it looks like.  Played kids in the League Cup and got destroyed.  

Seems he will get to play.

I will leave my personal feeling about Reading (Jimmy Kebe) and my brother's in-laws out of it.   

19 minutes ago, archer21 said:

To be fair to the previous poster, brother’s in laws could actually be the correct way to get across what he was trying to get across. As in my brother’s wife’s family would be my brother’s in-laws.

My brother married a girl from Reading and it is close and we know her parents.  So yes that is what I was trying to say. Thanks.

Junior Hoilett signs for Royals
readingfc.co.uk August 19 2021

Experienced winger arrives to bolster first team depth

Reading Football Club are pleased to announce that forward Junior Hoilett has put pen to paper on a one-year deal with the Royals this afternoon.

Just two games short of 400 appearances in English football, the experienced winger trained with Veljko Paunovic’s first team squad at Bearwood Park this morning and completed his medical and the paperwork on the contract this afternoon.

“Junior is a player with proven pedigree at the highest level, having competed in the Premier League with three different clubs,” Pauno said. “An experienced international, Junior will play an important role in helping our young players integrate within the first team squad and improve as professional players. On the pitch, his intelligence and maturity in the final third will make him an excellent addition to the squad we are looking to strengthen.”

Hoilett began his career in Blackburn, coming through the Rovers ranks to sign professional terms at Ewood Park ahead of two loan spells in Germany - at SC Paderborn and then in the Bundesliga with FC St Pauli.

Back in Lancashire, he scored on his full debut for Rovers in a 3-1 Carling Cup win over Gillingham and he opened his Premier League account in a 2-0 win over West Brom in January 2011.

In the summer of 2012, the Ontario-born forward signed for QPR and his first Rangers goal came against the Royals that September; he scored the opening goal in a five-goal Capital One Cup encounter with Brian McDermott’s Reading side at Loftus Road.

He has twice won promotion to the Premier League, helping QPR return to the top table of English football via a Play-off Final victory over Derby County in 2014 before winning automatic promotion with Cardiff City.

In his first full season as a Bluebird, Hoilett played in every game of City’s successful Championship campaign, scoring eleven goals across league and cup competition to secure Cardiff second spot with a draw at home to Reading on the final day of the season.

And Junior was back scoring top tier goals when he found the back of the net against West Ham, Watford and Wolves – the latter a stunning top corner strike that won the Premier League’s Goal of the Month accolade for November 2018.

He scored the most recent of his 51 goals in English football at Wycombe last season, before five years in the Welsh capital came to an end when his contract expired this summer. However, Hoilett certainly had a busy and successful summer…

For his native Canada, Junior scored twice in two comprehensive World Cup qualifying wins in June. Then, he was USA-bound to compete for CONCACAF Gold Cup honours with his country.

Finding the net against Haiti, the Canadians comfortably progressed from their group before beating Costa Rica in the quarter-finals – again Hoilett was on target in a 2-0 victory that set up a last four encounter with Mexico.

An injury time winner ended Canada’s hopes of reaching the final, but the 31-year-old had represented his country admirably, helping them reach the semi-final stages for the first time since 2007.

Now he begins a new chapter in blue and white hoops. Subject to receiving international clearance, he is eligible to make his Royals debut at Coventry City this weekend and will wear number 23.

Chief Executive Dayong Pang said, “We are delighted that we have been able to add to our attacking options with the arrival of a player with the vision to create opportunities and the proven ability to score them for Reading Football Club. I am excited to welcome him to the club and look forward to seeing him represent the Royals!”

12 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Good choice for Junior? 

Reading have decent demanding support, good sized stadium.  I know they were in relegation trouble 3/4 years ago but stayed up.  7th last year, kept their manager, for once - they have had at least one different one every year since they went down from the Premier League 7/8 years ago.    The manager came from MLS, so I don't know him, some on here probably would. 

From that 7th placed team, I know Palace bought their attacking midfielder that has a lot of promise and was certainly producing at that level - Michael Olise.  Other than that they still have their main goal scorers.  Lost a DM they had on loan from Benifica and have been giving up goals for fun this year, it looks like.  Played kids in the League Cup and got destroyed.  

Seems he will get to play.

I will leave my personal feeling about Reading (Jimmy Kebe) and my brother's in-laws out of it.   

Manager is a Serbian (Serbian-American?) who coached the Chicago Fire a few seasons ago with mixed results, which is unsurprising since the Fire have not been good for a while. I recall some MLS fans were surprised a Championship club took the chance on him, but seems like he is doing just fine at Reading. Hard to say if he knew much about Junior prior but the North American link makes you wonder.

Reading did well last year as they went on an insane run at the start of the year, then quickly petered out. Many reviews picked Reading to struggle this year. I think should have enough to survive but won't be in the top half this year, after player sales and embargo and financial uncertainty. Paunovic won't get another 10 game winless run if that happens again.

Edited by The Real Marc

13 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

Reading did well last year as they went on an insane run at the start of the year, then quickly petered out. Many reviews picked Reading to struggle this year. I think should have enough to survive but won't be in the top half this year, after player sales and embargo and financial uncertainty. Paunovic won't get another 10 game winless run if that happens again.

I obviously forgot  Richards, the defender that went to Bayern on a free. 

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

My brother married a girl from Reading and it is close and we know her parents.  So yes that is what I was trying to say. Thanks.

Actually I was referring to the fact you left out a preposition in the original post, "in", so I thought; so it seemed you were saying that you had family members, but in-laws, with reading capacities, and was suggesting they had read about this transfer.

Shit joke I admit.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Manager is a Serbian (Serbian-American?) who coached the Chicago Fire a few seasons ago with mixed results, which is unsurprising since the Fire have not been good for a while. I recall some MLS fans were surprised a Championship club took the chance on him, but seems like he is doing just fine at Reading. Hard to say if he knew much about Junior prior but the North American link makes you wonder.

The Paunovic managing story is yet to be fully written I'd say. He was hired at Fire after winning the World U-21 Cup with Serbia, with a great group of players and nice coaching skills. Translated poorly to Fire and MLS. But the guy has to be a quality coach, I watched that team. 

He was also a very good player, he was at At Madrid from a young age and was a very skilled dynamica attacking mid.