The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

On 4/13/2021 at 11:52 AM, Obinna said:

I always imagined he'd come to TFC and play under Vanney, who was crying for a winger at the tail end of his tenure, but I am not sure Hoilett fits the mold of what Armas wants, unless you want to bring him in off the bench to finish off games, which I am not convinced will be of interest to Junior at this stage of his career.

A move to another Championship team is most likely. Outside of that, perhaps one of Celtic or Rangers could use his services. That would give him a chance at European football as well, something he hasn't experienced. Or if he wants to try something entirely different, maybe he goes to the Turkish Super Lig. It looks like Besiktas will have a hole to fill at left wing, and aging veterans with top flight experience is their jam. 

Then Junior would be better off going to the Turkish Super Lig 

Would be a great acquisition for the Whitecaps. So much depth lacking beyond the front 3 and he can play across the park.

Given his longterm connections and relationship I would be shocked if he went anywhere but TFC if he came to the MLS. 

Turkey or Qatar are probably safe bets. Doubt he stays in the uk.

16 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Would be a great acquisition for the Whitecaps. So much depth lacking beyond the front 3 and he can play across the park.

Given his longterm connections and relationship I would be shocked if he went anywhere but TFC if he came to the MLS. 

Turkey or Qatar are probably safe bets. Doubt he stays in the uk.

Hoilett to the Whitecaps I actually approve👍

11 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

It will all come down to money.  Would one of the Canadian MLS teams shell out the cash?  He’s only 30, loads of experience, so you’d think he could get one more decent contract in England.  But could also be a casualty to the financial effects of the pandemic? 

That is very true but then again any of the American MLS teams could make an offer as well for his services

Yannick Bolasie is there on loan from Everton. Different player from Hoilett obviously, but I assume he returns at season's end, maybe opening the door for Junior to come in and play the "veteran attacker" role.

He'd be a free transfer as well, so if I am Middlesbrough I am ringing his phone. 

Junior reposted an Instagram video made by a London based training development company Kaizen 3 Performance (K3 Performance).  The Instagram story which tags Junior and shows him doing multiple training exercises both on and off the ball.  Hopefully this means, he intends on staying in Europe for a few more seasons.

More importantly, the video stories show a Canada flag with the words below "Preparation for the CONCACAF Championship."  Although nothing is confirmed, it makes me think that 1) Junior is expected to be there in June, even without playing a minute to end the season & 2) That the players have already been informed of the callup for June.  Although, this may just be Junior expecting the call or perhaps only the core group have been told.

Given his lack of playing time in recent months, he is likely rested and capable of playing in both Qualifying and Gold Cup this summer.  Given he is currently a free agent, the more games the better for his club situation next season. 

It's great having depth we currently do with our squad.  A couple years ago, regardless of club playing situation we would need to rely on Junior for the upcoming qualifiers.  Given our depth, I expect him to play a role in qualifiers but we do have the depth so that he can sit a couple of the games.  I fully expect him to be one of the leaders and main players for our Gold Cup squad. 

Edited by Corazon

6 hours ago, PopePouri said:

Given his lack of first-team minutes, he may want to prepare himself for next season by going to the Gold Cup as well.

Hard to say.  I suppose if he is unsigned and hasn't garnered enough interest, he might want to do that but if he was really close to signing a deal prior to the WCQ or GC, maybe he might skip it to keep himself healthy. 

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Hard to say.  I suppose if he is unsigned and hasn't garnered enough interest, he might want to do that but if he was really close to signing a deal prior to the WCQ or GC, maybe he might skip it to keep himself healthy. 

No chance. Grossly underestimating how much our boys care about this WCQ...Junior being no exception. 

There will be less crossover between WCQ and Gold Cup roster for scheduling, club, covid, etc reasons. 

1 hour ago, hamiltonfan said:

No chance. Grossly underestimating how much our boys care about this WCQ...Junior being no exception. 

There will be less crossover between WCQ and Gold Cup roster for scheduling, club, covid, etc reasons. 

We'll see soon enough.  I wouldn't put skipping the GC as out of the question, however.  

Edited by BearcatSA