The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

Hoilett had a very strong tournament. And the opposition was good as well, with important matches against perennial World Cup teams Mexico, United States, and Costa Rica.

Club teams would definitely have noticed. We'll see what happens, but I would be shocked if he didn't find a club.

10 hours ago, RS said:

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but are you  giving plaudits to @TUDNUSA, a Twitter account with nearly 47x as many followers as @OneSoccer, for accumulating "5-6 times more" views of the Hoilett goal?

Once again: Tell me you don't know how social media works without telling me you don't know how social media works.

(I'm really trying not to pile on you here, but you really seem to love to tell others how wrong they are about this topic while obviously having little clue how it works yourself.)

Thanks for not piling on. But the thread has a context and if you don't read it you can't get it. 

Some are posting on this thread that he had a great GC and that should be enough to launch a new contract (because he's unattached, which you don't seem to be aware of).

Others say that regardless of having a good tournament, if he's not on a best XI or winning awards, he won't get noticed.

I and others argued that the scouting is more important, so he'd get noticed for play and goals anyways. Clubs are not going to worry about anything else apart from what they objectively scout. Then, after, the contractual details.

And I added: he is not going to be helped by the Canadian soccer channel because they tend to not do or miss clips, or when they do them, they title and package them dull as hell. They are far behind other channels not only in viewers, and likes, but intention. Exception: Haiti keeper blooper.

Now if you think OneSoccer is doing a great job helping Canadian players get noticed and highlighting in a way that raises buzz, profile or whatever matters, then we disagree about the role of media.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

When it comes to thing like Gold Cup clips, anything OneSoccer posts wouldn’t be helpful in getting him noticed anywhere outside of Canada because highlights are (almost exclusively) geoblocked to the particular rightsholder’s country. 

No one outside of Canada should be able to watch any Gold Cup clips or highlights on OneSoccer’s social channels. CONCACAF, in particular, are very strict in enforcing this. Try watching a Gold Cup clip on the Fox Soccer account outside of the USA, for example. 

There are a few exceptions, and some clips tend to “break through” the georestrictions, but the blanket rule for these major tournaments is that you can only watch highlights from your home broadcaster’s social channels.

5 minutes ago, RS said:

When it comes to thing like Gold Cup clips, anything OneSoccer posts wouldn’t be helpful in getting him noticed anywhere outside of Canada because highlights are (almost exclusively) geoblocked to the particular rightsholder’s country. 

No one outside of Canada should be able to watch any Gold Cup clips or highlights on OneSoccer’s social channels. CONCACAF, in particular, are very strict in enforcing this. Try watching a Gold Cup clip on the Fox Soccer account outside of the USA, for example. 

There are a few exceptions, and some clips tend to “break through” the georestrictions, but the blanket rule for these major tournaments is that you can only watch highlights from your home broadcaster’s social channels.

Now who's the expert on social media. I'm in Spain and I have no restrictions on OneSoccer on twitter, youtube, where I go look for clips. Sorry for breaking these rules you are pulling out of your ass: they restrict if they want to restrict, in the cases where licensing might require it, and not always strictly. Nothing more. Some are blocked (I usually find BeIn to be blocked when I am navigating and see La Liga results, because I guess I'm here). Others are not. 

BTW, I just "tried": no problem watching the Seattle goals vs. Tigres on the Fox Soccer Twitter account. Messi presentation too. 

Glad I'm not the only one clued out about social media on this board.

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Now who's the expert on social media. I'm in Spain and I have no restrictions on OneSoccer on twitter, youtube, where I go look for clips. Sorry for breaking these rules you are pulling out of your ass: they restrict if they want to restrict, in the cases where licensing might require it, and not always strictly. Nothing more. Some are blocked (I usually find BeIn to be blocked when I am navigating and see La Liga results, because I guess I'm here). Others are not. 

BTW, I just "tried": no problem watching the Seattle goals vs. Tigres on the Fox Soccer Twitter account. Messi presentation too. 

Glad I'm not the only one clued out about social media on this board.

Ok, I’m going to stop being civil now because you continue to be pompous about shit you have absolutely no clue on. 

Note how I said “major tournaments” in the post that you obviously didn’t understand (or didn’t bother to read properly).

Having actually worked with social media on and off for a decade, I actually tried to educate you in layman’s terms (and as broadly as possible), but instead you took it as another opportunity to be a condescending ass. 

To be clear: Most of OneSoccer’s social content will be unrestricted because they are the sole/main rights holder (for CPL, CSA, etc.). It’s advantageous to those not to be restricted, to gain as big an audience as possible. Tournaments like the Gold Cup, which actually fetch rights fees, are generally restricted. As with all social media, there are exceptions and breakthroughs that happen. That’s the nature of the medium.

Now please, go on and write something semi-related to make yourself feel more knowledgeable. Maybe you can go figure out what Instagram Stories are before lecturing anyone else on this subject.

2 hours ago, RS said:

Ok, I’m going to stop being civil now because you continue to be pompous about shit you have absolutely no clue on. 

Note how I said “major tournaments” in the post that you obviously didn’t understand (or didn’t bother to read properly).

Having actually worked with social media on and off for a decade, I actually tried to educate you in layman’s terms (and as broadly as possible), but instead you took it as another opportunity to be a condescending ass. 

To be clear: Most of OneSoccer’s social content will be unrestricted because they are the sole/main rights holder (for CPL, CSA, etc.). It’s advantageous to those not to be restricted, to gain as big an audience as possible. Tournaments like the Gold Cup, which actually fetch rights fees, are generally restricted. As with all social media, there are exceptions and breakthroughs that happen. That’s the nature of the medium.

Now please, go on and write something semi-related to make yourself feel more knowledgeable. Maybe you can go figure out what Instagram Stories are before lecturing anyone else on this subject.

You are just crying because your mean-spirited attempt to have a laugh at my expense did not come off.

I am under no obligation to let you be a bully because you saw on another thread folks had fun at my expense and you thought you would too.

I mean, the nerve, calling me pompous when you started laying in on me and lording it over me. 

You are just butt hurt because your card was called, @RSYou were wrong about OneSoccer, wrong about Fox, wrong about the capacity of Canadian soccer media to generate hype for Canadian players. And most importantly, you were not able to focus on the thread's content, which others here have been decent enough to let me contribute to.

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You are just crying because your mean-spirited attempt to have a laugh at my expense did not come off.

I am under no obligation to let you be a bully because you saw on another thread folks had fun at my expense and you thought you would too.

I mean, the nerve, calling me pompous when you started laying in on me and lording it over me. 

You are just butt hurt because your card was called, @RSYou were wrong about OneSoccer, wrong about Fox, wrong about the capacity of Canadian soccer media to generate hype for Canadian players. And most importantly, you were not able to focus on the thread's content, which others here have been decent enough to let me contribute to.

Now that RS is going to stop being civil, you better watch out. He's about to blast you.😄

28 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I originally just dished it out in kind, then pulled back and actually tried to explain it to you. 

When you insisted on being an ass even though you’ve been demonstrably wrong every step of the way (and not even just on this), I once again responded in kind. And you still insist on digging in your heels about this social media stuff even though you’ve consistently shown that you haven’t the slightest idea how it all works outside of the most basic functions.

Notice how I don’t take any kind of issue when you actually stay on topic in these threads? Yeah, try to do that and you won’t have to “dig up” as you so often do when you can’t admit you’re wrong about something despite being the most opinionated person on here about it.

Nice to see @Obinna taking a shot at me, though. Some people can’t change their colours.

16 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Now that RS is going to stop being civil, you better watch out. He's about to blast you.😄

The idea these people have is that you have to back down, because the lowlifes want to lie and get away with it, and their idea is that you have to take it. It is classic bully tactics, just continue to lay in because it's fun, get the other non-entities to chime in too, truth be damned. 

This is what he said: "No one outside of Canada should be able to watch any Gold Cup clips or highlights on OneSoccer’s social channels. CONCACAF, in particular, are very strict in enforcing this. Try watching a Gold Cup clip on the Fox Soccer account outside of the USA, for example."

I do, I tried, and I did. I watch both OneSoccer and Fox on social media in Spain. But @RS who claims to be an expert, will never admit he was wrong, for one reason: he saw me get the brunt of it on another thread and he wants more. 

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Try watching a Gold Cup clip on the Fox Soccer account outside of the USA, for example."

I do, I tried, and I did.

Untitled.png.e33b8021125de47b3da34ba25de87648.png

Lucky.

Edit: I believe it all comes down to the rights holders of whatever you are looking at.  I'm in Canada and OneSoccer holds the rights to the Gold Cup in Canada.  Therefore, I cannot see the Fox Soccer highlights.  Ergo, Americans will not be able to see the OneSoccer highlights (which was the initial question that started this back and forth).  I assume.

Edited by El Hombre

10 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Untitled.png.e33b8021125de47b3da34ba25de87648.png

Lucky.

Edit: I believe it all comes down to the rights holders of whatever you are looking at.  I'm in Canada and OneSoccer holds the rights to the Gold Cup in Canada.  Therefore, I cannot see the Fox Soccer highlights.  Ergo, Americans will not be able to see the OneSoccer highlights (which was the initial question that started this back and forth).  I assume.

Have you guys not heard of VPNs?

27 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Untitled.png.fe4509a8b6bbbee7e8535ecf6a7b070e.png

Don't think it is that clear cut that @RS was wrong.  I've got no idea how this stuff works, but I've run into the above more often than not.  Especially when I used to travel for work back in the day (18 months ago).

Look, I know I'm not innocent in this because I refuse to back down to his stupidity but @Unnamed Trialist has shown over decades that he will start an argument in here over anything, even if he knows little about the subject at hand. He embarrassed himself over the social media tangent he went on in the Davies thread, to the point of calling others sexist and misogynist just to try to win a fucking Internet argument, and after that died down — because he issued a half-assed mea culpa for his own childish 12-paragraph rant — he somehow decided it was a good idea to revive it in this thread.

I'd like him to explain this tweet below, since upthread he claimed that OneSoccer "can't even generate the most viewed version of the Haiti keeper blooper" even though most of the bigger social accounts who spread the clip used OneSoccer's own upload of the own-goal in question. I'd also like to know his explanation on why the clip is no longer available to watch, since he's deemed my explanation as hogwash and me as a "low-life."

He won't be able to, of course. Instead he'll further obfuscate with unsubstantiated tales of watching CCL clips in Spain or just simply ignoring it and saying I'm wrong even though this has been part of what I do for a living since the beginning of the last decade.

That one of the board's biggest bullies is now calling me a bully is insane, and hilarious. That @Obinna has sided with him doesn't surprise me, in the least.

2 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Yep, VPNs will often get you around those restrictions. I'm sure UT will tell us all about them once he Googles what they are.

17 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I believe it all comes down to the rights holders of whatever you are looking at.  I'm in Canada and OneSoccer holds the rights to the Gold Cup in Canada.  Therefore, I cannot see the Fox Soccer highlights.  Ergo, Americans will not be able to see the OneSoccer highlights (which was the initial question that started this back and forth).  I assume.

Right, which is what I explained. That wasn't good enough for Jeffrey S., who has never been wrong about anything in his life.

11 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

That's not the point.  The question was whether or not OneSoccer was doing an adequate job in promoting Canadian players.  If the average fan (ie. no VPN), outside of Canada, cannot see the highlights put out by OneSoccer, then it is tough to measure.

FWIW, I cannot install VPNs on my work computer.  So, it gets difficult when I want to see highlights and that's all I have when I travel.  I do have VPN on my home computer because I have found that it vastly improves the TSN Direct streaming quality.

8 minutes ago, RS said:

Right, which is what I explained. That wasn't good enough for Jeffrey S., who has never been wrong about anything in his life.

"(I'm really trying not to pile on you here, but you really seem to love to tell others how wrong they are about this topic while obviously having little clue how it works yourself.)"

"No one outside of Canada should be able to watch any Gold Cup clips or highlights on OneSoccer’s social channels. CONCACAF, in particular, are very strict in enforcing this. Try watching a Gold Cup clip on the Fox Soccer account outside of the USA, for example."