The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

6 hours ago, kacbru said:

This is just ageism 😀.

Seriously - he has a skillset that no one else in our pool has, and he can still deliver.  I would want him as an option in the 23.

Well, as I have brought up on here before with the arguments for different individuals being included in the squad, who would you drop for him? 

40 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Well, as I have brought up on here before with the arguments for different individuals being included in the squad, who would you drop for him? 

Going off the last roster - 1 of the 5 central strikers (e.g. 1 of Ugbo, Bair or Russel-Rowe), or 1 of the 6 central defenders (e.g. 1 of Bombito, Waterman, LDF)  Probably one of the strikers - as we have more flexibility there.  Not a hard decision in my mind - overkill to have three players picking up scraps from David and Larin.  Two will do just fine (with Millar, Shaff as other options if injuries are an issue).

47 minutes ago, kacbru said:

Going off the last roster - 1 of the 5 central strikers (e.g. 1 of Ugbo, Bair or Russel-Rowe), or 1 of the 6 central defenders (e.g. 1 of Bombito, Waterman, LDF)  Probably one of the strikers - as we have more flexibility there.  Not a hard decision in my mind - overkill to have three players picking up scraps from David and Larin.  Two will do just fine (with Millar, Shaff as other options if injuries are an issue).

Yes, I thought the extra striker was a surprise in the last squad selection.  I don't see them going with five (but I hope in this tournament that the coaches don't delude themselves into the notion that David will be the starting third central midfielder with Eustaquio and Koné).  And I could also see a back three guy possibly get dropped.  So there ate certainly possibilities.  I think the likely guys to get sacrificed are the one or two prospect type ones, which in a way is kind of too bad.  But atbthe end of the day, it's about who gives us the best chance at results in this tourney, and if Hoillet is in-form, we should really consider having him.

16 hours ago, kacbru said:

This is just ageism 😀.

Seriously - he has a skillset that no one else in our pool has, and he can still deliver.  I would want him as an option in the 23.

It is, and to be honest if there’s one guy we “bring back out of retirement” for me, it’s Junior, but I think this really is just one game for him. If we want another offensive weapon and we want to switch out one of our many strikers, why not call up Tani Oluwaseyi? Having a big year for a good MLS team, scoring at around the same rate as Messi (goal every 75 mins), and probably a bigger factor for us in the coming years. 

If Junior is called up at the expense of one of our fringe guys I wouldn’t be too upset, but I also don’t think his most recent appearance is indicative of the form he’s been in over the past 3 seasons.