Kyle Hiebert

Big_M

9 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

I think that should be your new handle: "Precarious Sessional Academic."  The sessional academic is to academia what the unnamed trialist is to professional football, in essence. Love it!  (I've taught at UBC and I guest lecture at SFU a few times a year. Precarious, for sure.  I also run my own small business, but I don't make enough money to be considered "elite". Mind you, many of our books are indeed "elite", in so much as they are among the best within their categories.)

Unnamed Trialist is my soccer equivalent of "Precarious Sessional Academic".

Non-regular status is not the greatest, unless it's a little cherry on the top of other things; at Emily Carr we have the worst sessional pay structure in BC; then they go blow their horn that we are the highest rated art and design university in Canada (which is true lately).

This was written by a friend, excellent:

https://www.unitpitt.ca/product/non-regular/

Anyways, idea that teaching at a university puts you into an anti-American category, that was ridiculous. My grandfather was in the American armed forces and half my family is in the States, I've probably visited the US as much or more than anyone here.

The only problem is that people can't accept someone criticising a grown adult who is unable to say "I would play for my country" if given a choice.  The guy only has one nationality and couldn't say he'd play for it when asked.

Sick of these players who get all catty and sly and can't speak straight. Weak minded pro athletes, backed by weak-minded fans. And I am talking about adults, the kids get a bit of slack. Even Gauld the other day on OS gave a much more mature answer when asked if he would ever consider representing Canada. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

11 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The only problem is that people can't accept someone criticising a grown adult who is unable to say "I would play for my country" if given a choice.  The guy only has one nationality and couldn't say he'd play for it when asked.

Sick of these players who get all catty and sly and can't speak straight. Weak minded pro athletes, backed by weak-minded fans. And I am talking about adults, the kids get a bit of slack. Even Gauld the other day on OS gave a much more mature answer when asked if he would ever consider representing Canada. 

I still feel you're being really hard on the guy, and consequently all of us who aren't being hard on him.  The Q&A right before the "What if you were wanted by both the US and Canada?" hypothetical was:

"[Rob Gale said] 'There's not really an opening [in the midfield], but if you can, I can see you making the switch, you know being a centreback, and with your qualities, I can get you into the youth national team camp' and I said 'Oh, I'm in, you know I just want to be there and represent my country....'"

"Has your name maybe popped up on the radar, have you heard anything from John Herdman, has there been any calls made with him, or staff and what would it mean to potentially be included in that group of centrebacks for a camp in the near future?"

"Yeah, I mean obviously that would be a dream come true, something that I’ve had since I was a little kid…"

I think the next US/Canada question caught him off guard, just because up to that point, no national team had called him, so it was very hypothetical.  I don't think he was being catty, he just didn't want to make a mistake with his words, so tried to be diplomatic.  Evidently it wasn't a good enough (at least for some). 

Edited by GasPed

On 4/5/2023 at 8:58 AM, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Not to be a pain, but academic elites are just one type of elite. We also got business elites, the super rich, celebrities, and other such elites, including world class athletes.

Hey, you forgot "racial elites" in that list.  You know, like that despicable St. Johnstone "supporter" who just earned a lifetime for his abuse of Theo Bair.

On 4/5/2023 at 11:58 AM, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Do Canadians truly hate Americans?  I think when we dig into this a bit more we find that it is far more nuanced than that. 

Yes,  To view the US as rival is one thing but anti Americanism (or hate) is another thing and I do see some comments and thoughts reflective of hate or anti Americanism.    To those I would say: take a look around your own home and community and ask yourself:

1) What books do you read, what movies, music or programming are you consuming?

2) Where are you doing your shopping or spending your money at

3) Take a look at landscape (at random) of your community and count how many trademarks you see of American based businesses that provide you with the good and services you need.

4) Who pays your salary or

5) Who are the clients of your employer that allows your employer to keep paying your salary or bonus' or

6) Who pays the salary of your clients (or people you serve) so that you can earn a living and maintain your living standard from the goods or services that you provide

There is no other country in the world where the above six point would be as strongly impacted by the United States.  75% of our exports in fact are to the US.   Are we really a first world country without that privilege relationship with the US?  most definitely no.  Even within Canada, right now,  I would argue that there are 3 out of 10 (maybe 4) provinces that could be considered first world economies.  The rest would be like Central America were it not be due to some sort of wealth redistribution or transfer from those provinces whose economic prosperity is driven by the economic access to the US market.  

As far a culture,  I wonder how many people have traveled outside of Canada, the US or the UK (to a lesser extend) and not noticed the cultural differences and adaptations that you have to make.  Or noted your ignorance of cultural icons or symbols in those countries.    So anti Americanism or hate is really a hate onto yourself and your own culture.  Every time I have gone to Europe, I have found that they view Canadians as synonymous to American and trying point out otherwise makes you realize how stupid and trivial your arguments are.   

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

There is no other country in the world where the above six point would be as strongly impacted by the United States

And that's the crux of the issue. Why is Ford privatizing healthcare? Why do some people think Canada doesn't have its own culture? Why do we always take the US's side in geopolitical issues? Won't say anymore because they don't deserve any more space on a Canadian forum but just because they believe in their exceptionalism doesn't mean we do too.

Free Kick you have nicely outlined the reasons for disliking the US (as a ideal or symbol more than hating people).  We are force fed their culture by the slop bucket, we are bullied economically (softwood lumber for example), we cant compete with their huge population, massive natural resources and economic might.  But the natural close ties leave us in a "little bother" type scenario (vs antagonistic) where we feel like we dont control our own destiny, are always ignored, are 2nd class and are forced into lock step with whatever they path they choose. And you always resent you mean older brother even if you look just like him.

As far as soccer I dont deny them their MLS/NexPro system to foster their own player development but chaff at the fact our biggest cities and biggest investors chose to participate in it without getting the fair shake they should with an equitable partnership. Scraps from their table as it were. And I shake my heads at CDNs who think this is enough and its all we should aspire to.  

I still  dont hate americans, but the double standard in which hey judge themselves, the national superior attitude and blissful ignorance of everyone else deserves a good dose of ridicule/scorn now and then.  And just to be honest I married one, my son is a dual (I am leaning hard on him to rep canada although he is only 8 and shows no world class abilities in anything but Star wars trivia and lego) and have celebrated so many american thanksgivings I dont remember when ours is. 

Not sure what this has to do with Kyle, but if we are keeping tabs, I disagree with most things that America has come to stand for. The culture writ large is disgusting to me. But it is also unavoidable. This filters down into sports where I am happy to see them lose at everything, and to anyone. Even f'ing Honduras. 

Edit: I am also one of those disreputable academics

Edited by kacbru
Positionality clarification

On 4/7/2023 at 2:34 PM, Free kick said:

@Bison44  @sebdeserio Most countries in the world would trade places with us to have that kind of relationship and economic opportunity (and standard of living) that bordering with the US brings.

Yes, I suspect this is true, but such a relationship comes with real costs, much of which others have noted here. Which is to say that our very relationship with the US is remarkably complex indeed. (As for the economics, keep in mind that the US has benefitted enormously from its relationship with Canada: cheap resources, super safe and super inexpensive border relationship, access to highly educated labor (much of it paid for by the Canadian government), decent secondary market etc. The relationship has been mutually beneficial.)

But as for "Canadians hating Americans", I think that is mostly false in the general but certainly true in the specific. Meaning that none of us truly hate ALL Americans. Even those who want to die on that hill will admit to liking--or tolerating--at least ONE person of American heritage. To claim that one hates ALL Americans is entirely irrational.  But specific Americans? Oh, yeah, I can name a good many whom I detest, and for good reason. No, when we talk about Canadians hating Americans we tend to mean one (or both) of two things, neither of which are about us hating American persons specifically: 1) We are critical of specific aspects of how the US operates as a governing body 2) We are critical of a cultural mindset--an attitude--that seems prevalent among most Americans, one that espouses and broadcasts a singular assertion that the US is the best (i.e. US exceptionalism) just because it is the US.  I'll be the first to admit that the US has been and still is truly exceptional in many respects, many of which I admire and respect, but the evidence certainly does not support the claim that it is exceptional in all areas, and it certainly does not follow logically that the US is great because it is the US. That is inane circular logic, and it should be called out and derided on the spot.  What is telling, to me, is that this attitude seems to often be the default for many Americans regardless of their political, religious, and socio-economic backgrounds. It is a lazy, rest-on-your-laurels mindset, and if not corrected will likely spell the end of the American Empire faster than is good for any of us.

And that is my Easter essay on why I feel Canadians do not truly hate Americans.  

Edited by The Beaver 2.0

On 4/7/2023 at 3:43 PM, Free kick said:

Even within Canada, right now,  I would argue that there are 3 out of 10 (maybe 4) provinces that could be considered first world economies.  The rest would be like Central America were it not be due to some sort of wealth redistribution or transfer from those provinces whose economic prosperity is driven by the economic access to the US market.  

As far a culture,  I wonder how many people have traveled outside of Canada, the US or the UK (to a lesser extend) 

You've made some good and valid points, however I'd be curious to know the USA numbers for the two statements above.  Pretty sure they aren't too far off some of the Canadian provinces as well. 

On 4/7/2023 at 12:43 PM, Free kick said:

Every time I have gone to Europe, I have found that they view Canadians as synonymous to American and trying point out otherwise makes you realize how stupid and trivial your arguments are.

Lol I was hoping to stay out of this conversation but this sucked me in. Just because some people are ignorant of cultural differences doesn’t mean there are none or that they are stupid or trivial to the people that live in those countries. I’d be hard pressed to explain the cultural differences between Lithuania and Russia, but I sure has hell wouldn’t argue with someone from Lithuania that they’re trivial. 

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

How did Heibert (who?) play yesterday?

I only saw the last 25 minutes, despite the score line I liked the way he played. He positions himself well defensively and also appears to read the play well. I didn’t see the first goal but the second one was down to a keeper error while the third can be attributed to an excellent expert flick by Jake Nerwinski, one of the most deft and clever touches I have seen, worthy of Paolo Rossi in how efficient it was. Unfortunately it was into Nerwinski’s own net

5 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I only saw the last 25 minutes, despite the score line I liked the way he played. He positions himself well defensively and also appears to read the play well. I didn’t see the first goal but the second one was down to a keeper error while the third can be attributed to an excellent expert flick by Jake Nerwinski, one of the most deft and clever touches I have seen, worthy of Paolo Rossi in how efficient it was. Unfortunately it was into Nerwinski’s own net

Those used to be cause for me to break shit in anger. Now they're just funny. 🙂 

12 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

So glad we are done with Nerwinski at Whitecaps. I really don't need him to prove me wrong now that he's gone, either. 

Used to see him in False Creek near my mother's.

And Timmy Parker. Remember when many Caps fans thought we should renew his contract because he'd be surefire USMNT material? How did that go?

These are good players for an expansion team, but in principle, not for a winning team.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So glad we are done with Nerwinski at Whitecaps. I really don't need him to prove me wrong now that he's gone, either. 

Used to see him in False Creek near my mother's.

And Timmy Parker. Remember when many Caps fans thought we should renew his contract because he'd be surefire USMNT material? How did that go?

These are good players for an expansion team, but in principle, not for a winning team.

At the moment, they are in second place in the west and just got beat by the first place team so not doing too badly.  Let’s of course see if they can maintain that