Kyle Hiebert

Big_M

14 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Ut is a Canadian academic and many of them have a.......how should I politely phrase it.....a strong dislike for Americans. I suspect UT falls into that group. He said as much a few posts back. He let the cat out of the bag when he expressed dislike for Hiebert sounding and acting like a Midwestern American.

Ah that's it.

I sensed there was a pejorative vibe to his posts towards Heibert but missed that part. Thanks for catching me up there, Sal.

Just now, Aird25 said:

I wouldn’t beat yourself up. I don’t know the term either, and I still struggle with people considering Winnipeg ‘Western Canada’

Makes sense if you're a BC boy, but for me as a born and bred Eastern Canadian, that one is easy :)

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Makes sense if you're a BC boy, but for me as a born and bred Eastern Canadian, that one is easy :)

Fair enough. We do the opposite out here, but at some point we might want to consider the term ‘central’ within our geographic descriptions. We might even be able to get more descriptive than that if we get super creative. 

6 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I wouldn’t beat yourself up. I don’t know the term either, and I still struggle with people considering Winnipeg ‘Western Canada’

Not as bad as the US where a state like Ohio, despite being a 6 hour drive to the Atlantic Ocean, is called "midwest".

And as much as I sometimes wish it weren't so, Manitoba has much more in common politically and culturally with SK and AB than with parts east.

Repeat: the only thing at all that got me was two weeks ago he was unable to say "I'd choose Canada" if given a choice. 

We have a few thousand pages on Scottie Arfield's allegiances, but if our home-grown guys don't have it we are screwed. 

I am trying to turn this into permanent tick beside his name, until the day he axes down Pulisic outside the box, gets a red, saves a sure goal, and wins Nations League for us with his valour.

8 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Not as bad as the US where a state like Ohio, despite being a 6 hour drive to the Atlantic Ocean, is called "midwest".

And as much as I sometimes wish it weren't so, Manitoba has much more in common politically and culturally with SK and AB than with parts east.

This is a function of the landscape. Shared landscape translates to shared history and the culture and political leanings are downstream from that. It's geographically central (to @Aird25's point), but it's not culturally distinct enough.

Geographical descriptions to the letter often take a backseat to cultural maps. The "Midwest" is a great example, as Jonovision points out. It's a relic from the era where Ohio, Illinois, and similar states were "West" as far as the majority of the population was concerned. That's less true today, but that cultural and historical framework is ingrained and sticky. It won't change anytime soon. 

On 3/24/2023 at 10:59 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

To me, Hiebert sounds very American, NCAA clean-cut preppy American, even has picked up that NCAA lisp and gee gosh tone. MLS is chock full of these guys, all of whom pick my ass. 

At the bottom of all this fake patriotism, here's the actual reason this player bugs you. In your own words. It borders on bigotry.

Just now, sebdeserio said:

Do we really need an excuse to hate the yanks?

I despise the states but I love Americans. Their country for the last few decades has been ruled by assholes who bully the rest of the world and ignore American needs.

All the Americans I've met in my life have been decent, generous people and I have had countless encounters with Americans.

So no, I don't agree with the sentiment of your post.

2 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I despise the states but I love Americans. Their country for the last few decades has been ruled by assholes who bully the rest of the world and ignore American needs.

All the Americans I've met in my life have been decent, generous people and I have had countless encounters with Americans.

So no, I don't agree with the sentiment of your post.

This is my experience as well. People seem to have a "stereotypical image" of what Americans are like based on TV or popular culture, and they seem to despise that image more than actual Americans themselves. I suspect many Canadians also view Americans they meet through that framework, which then colours their interactions with them in the real world. Our preconceptions skew our interactions with all kinds of people, so it's true of Americans just as it's true of anyone else. The stronger the stereotype, the stronger the skew. 

Not to turn this into a political thread, but I see the bolded clearly and I actually sympathize with the American people. I sympathize with the French, the British, and especially Canadians. All countries in the Western World are victims of incompetent leadership. Not saying incompetent leadership is a problem unique to the West, but we've had the biggest stick for years (NATO/USA) and have been beating people around the world with it, not because the people of the West want it, but because the leadership has "aspirations", meanwhile the needs of the people at home play second fiddle. 

This has made me go back and look up the names of Manitoba Mennonites I met in North Vancouver in the early 80s, quite a special group of people, most not living as traditional Mennonites of course but a high quality community with amazing tolerance, public ethics, humour, and fundamentally kind as well.

I still don't know why Mennonites don't have sex standing up, though.

24 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I think you'll find coastal BC to be quite distinct from the prairies culturally. 

Absolutely and I was going to mention that but figured it was obvious. Since it's different culturally it enjoys its own sub-regional distinction in many cases (Cascadia, Pacific, etc.). Manitoba is less distinct for sure, which goes back to why it doesn't get its own label in many cases. Eastern Prairies is as far as it goes, I think (in my experience). 

I do find it interesting that people in BC would refer to Manitobans as being Central Canadians! 

Edited by Obinna
added some extra things

26 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

Do we really need an excuse to hate the yanks?

Hating the yanks is no problem, so long as it's strictly football. I hate the USMNT and think they're entitled and immature relative to our team. I hate the Honduran national team for playing the game in a way that verges on cheating. I definitely do not hate Americans or Honduras. As long as we make that distinction, we are good. 

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Absolutely and I was going to mention that but figured it was obvious. Since it's different culturally it enjoys its own sub-regional distinction in many cases (Cascadia, Pacific, etc.). Manitoba is less distinct for sure, which goes back to why it doesn't get its own label in many cases. Eastern Prairies is as far as it goes, I think. 

The Kyle Hiebert thread:  come for the player analyses but stay for the social geography discussion 😉

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

Fair enough. We do the opposite out here, but at some point we might want to consider the term ‘central’ within our geographic descriptions. We might even be able to get more descriptive than that if we get super creative. 

Try this to help you out: "central" = "most important part of"

Therefore, "Central Canada" consists of the Ottawa Valley from Pembroke to Kanata (exclusive).  Everything west of that is Western Canada and everything East is Eastern Canada.  Technically TFC are from Southern Canada.

You're welcome.

9 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Try this to help you out: "central" = "most important part of"

Therefore, "Central Canada" consists of the Ottawa Valley from Deep River to Kanata (exclusive).  Everything west of that is Western Canada and everything East is Eastern Canada.  Technically TFC are from Southern Canada.

You're welcome.

FYP

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

"overshadowed by this cliquey corn-fed idolatry that works to downplay those who have been coming out for years"

So you are mad that the new kid on the block is getting some press??  You want articles all excited about Corenlius or Kennedy..seems like we had those about kennedy when he was first into the program, or Johnston before that, or Davies etc etc... thats sort of the nature of the beast. New player, new story....in short news for them to write about. 

Nobody is stepping on your toes by being happy for a new kid emerging, you dont have to try and assign cultural bias on this and then shit on the people that might like Heibert.  1 guys says "theres a future captain" and you have to shit on the player endlessly in ways that are embasrassing for you, inconsistent with how you treat other players and plainly showing your own bias.  I know you are sitting in Spain, giggling and laughing about this shitstorm you have caused among us poor naive ignorant masses, so its probably not even worth replying to you.  So you go on thinking its so clever of you to dump on a CMNT player to prove some sort of point.  

3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

So you are mad that the new kid on the block is getting some press??  You want articles all excited about Corenlius or Kennedy..seems like we had those about kennedy when he was first into the program, or Johnston before that, or Davies etc etc... thats sort of the nature of the beast. New player, new story....in short news for them to write about. 

Nobody is stepping on your toes by being happy for a new kid emerging, you dont have to try and assign cultural bias on this and then shit on the people that might like Heibert.  1 guys says "theres a future captain" and you have to shit on the player endlessly in ways that are embasrassing for you, inconsistent with how you treat other players and plainly showing your own bias.  I know you are sitting in Spain, giggling and laughing about this shitstorm you have caused among us poor naive ignorant masses, so its probably not even worth replying to you.  So you go on thinking its so clever of you to dump on a CMNT player to prove some sort of point.  

Silly rant, really. 

I repeat. I watched the One Soccer interview and found it really weak of him to not be able to say he'd play for Canada if given the choice. Really? A grown man?

I am not going to apologize for observing someone's Canadian allegiances on a Canada soccer board, but if you've noticed, I am willing to celebrate anyone who busts his ass and fully commits once the shirt is on.