Kyle Hiebert

Big_M

2 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

We should have, it would have been a nice gesture.

I know I am laying it on, just wondering if he's waiting for a US call still, or if he's fine with not having that "good problem" any more.

Sort of bothers me that finding Cornelius is perfectly competent back there, and Kennedy too, gets overshadowed by this cliquey corn-fed idolatry that works to downplay those who have been coming out for years with hardly any minutes.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I know I am laying it on, just wondering if he's waiting for a US call still, or if he's fine with not having that "good problem" any more.

Sort of bothers me that finding Cornelius is perfectly competent back there, and Kennedy too, gets overshadowed by this cliquey corn-fed idolatry that works to downplay those who have been coming out for years with hardly any minutes.

For fuck sakes, if Koleosho commits to the CMNT, are you going to keep reminding us that he played footies with the Spanish, American and Italian federations. Just because some overzealous posters got excited about this player, it doesn't justify your laying it on thick with this bullshit. Need I remind you, you got a problem with the overzealous fans not with this player? Unless your issue is with Midwest Americans or anyone that sounds or looks like them.

Edited by Sal333

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What world are you living in? When Kennedy and Cornelius had their first calls they also had stories about them…. It’s normal. No one is calling for him to start even. So strange this is your take.

Edited by CanadaFan123

2 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

What world are you living in? When Kennedy and Cornelius had their first calls they also had stories about them…. It’s normal. No one is calling for him to start even. So strange this is your take.

Apparently, there were some posters who were predicting him to be the NT's next captain.

22 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

For fuck sakes, if Koleosho commits to the CMNT, are you going to keep reminding us that he played footies with the Spanish, American and Italian federations. Just because some overzealous posters got excited about this player, it doesn't justify your laying it on thick with this bullshit. Need I remind you, you got a problem with the overzealous fans not with this player? Unless your issue is with Midwest Americans or anyone that sounds or looks like them.

Caring about how players feel about their Canadian identity on a Canadian soccer site "is a very good problem to have".

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Is this supposed to be a derogatory dig of some sort? Very confused...

22 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Caring about how players feel about their Canadian identity on a Canadian soccer site "is a very good problem to have".

From his actions so far, Koleosho doesn't identify as all that Canadian. He'll gladly join the American, Italian or Spanish teams if they want him. I'll wait with abated breath for your post on that development.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Corn-fed?  What next, stubble jumpers? :)

28 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

From his actions so far, Koleosho doesn't identify as all that Canadian. He'll gladly join the American, Italian or Spanish teams if they want him. I'll wait with abated breath for your post on that development.

Sorry to be affecting your respiration. 

I'd like Koleosho to join Canada too, but he's 18. He is clearly from a cultural mix in terms of parents' origins, and he's actually lived in different cultures and has pressure from multiple sides. 

So there's a huge difference between them. 

Hiebert never had options. He's a grown adult. He went to university. He's married. I expect more from these guys, not less, it is you guys who are arguing because he's from a small town in Manitoba he gets to be naive and immature. You are the ones that are basically arguing he gets a free pass. Which I guess is what you expect from yourselves, very little.

If you are a man, not a kid. And you have two Canadian parents and grew up your entire life in Canada, why can't you bring yourself to give us a man's answer: "if I had a choice between the US and Canada I'd choose Canada."

Hirbert is about to be 26 and was in the USL last season. He has a career and livelihood to consider. He’s making what $80k this year? Are we really upset that if offered a huge opportunity to jumpstart his career and join the USMNT(which is really a nonsense hypothetical anyway since he wouldn’t be called into their z squad) he would consider that?

21 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'd like Koleosho to join Canada too, but he's 18. He is clearly from a cultural mix in terms of parents' origins, and he's actually lived in different cultures and has pressure from multiple sides. 

Hiebert never had options. He's a grown adult. He went to university. He's married. I expect more from these guys, not less, it is you guys who are arguing because he's from a small town in Manitoba he gets to be naive and immature. You are the ones that are basically arguing he gets a free pass. Which I guess is what you expect from yourselves, very little.

If you are a man, not a kid. And you have two Canadian parents and grew up your entire life in Canada, why can't you bring yourself to give us a man's answer: "if I had a choice between the US and Canada I'd choose Canada."

Heibert strikes me as being very mature, actually. 

And what does being from a small town in Manitoba have to do with anything? I don't get why that's a factor here. Maybe I missed something up-thread...

34 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That's a crock of jingoistic bullshit.

He has lived, studied, and worked in the states for the last 7 years. Also, married an American. I'll give him a pass if he feels some connection with a country that gave him  a university education, a good paying job, a chance to play the game he loves and a wife. But regardless of all that, he did say it would be an honour to play for Canada and from the smiles on his face after that Honduras game it looked like he meant it.

Should we question your patriotism because you have been living and working in Spain, married a Spaniard (Catalan?)? Do you not feel any sentiment for your resident country?

Edited by Sal333

16 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Heibert strikes me as being very mature, actually. 

And what does being from a small town in Manitoba have to do with anything? I don't get why that's a factor here. Maybe I missed something up-thread...

Ut is a Canadian academic and many of them have a.......how should I politely phrase it.....a strong dislike for Americans. I suspect UT falls into that group. He said as much a few posts back. He let the cat out of the bag when he expressed dislike for Hiebert sounding and acting like a Midwestern American.

14 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What kind of Canadians would get insulted because someone said they ate corn? That doesn't sound like something to be ashamed of.

I expect a bit more patriotism all around.

Manuel Veth is getting absolutely barbecued on twitter for calling El Salvador a team full of farmers, so it’s generally a sensitive time to name call national teams right now. 

2 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Manuel Veth is getting absolutely barbecued on twitter for calling El Salvador a team full of farmers, so it’s generally a sensitive time to name call national teams right now. 

Well Veth is a dumbass who deserves any heat he gets.