Kyle Hiebert

Big_M

• 3 weeks later...

Come on folks. First interview he had with our media he was yapping about getting his US passport and playing for the US. He really could not care less about Canada and was hedging the whole way.

When I insisted on this, many jumped on me. It is all there in previous pages. 

If you want to be everyone's mistress then, for my tastes, go screw yourself. 

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Come on folks. First interview he had with our media he was yapping about getting his US passport and playing for the US. He really could not care less about Canada and was hedging the whole way.

I think you are sadly mistaken there but I can’t be bothered to pull out that interview again. You were off on one again there. If you disagree, please just post the link of that interview here so others can judge for themselves. 

53 minutes ago, An Observer said:

I think you are sadly mistaken there but I can’t be bothered to pull out that interview again. You were off on one again there. If you disagree, please just post the link of that interview here so others can judge for themselves. 

Interpretation of a statement: you talk to Canadian media for the first time and immediately start talking about being eligible for the US. 

Koleosho did this too, though in reverse: talk to US media for the first time, and start mentioning being eligible for Canada. Half of the guys who play this game end up somewhere else, the lack of committment and hedging is not very noble. 

I realise a lot of people defended him because we are short of corn-fed prairie boys on the NT, or something equivalent. Sorry for caring the least about such nonsense.

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

How do you feel about Zac McGraw? He’s so American that he’s willing to fight for their country, yet plays for us. 

11 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

How do you feel about Zac McGraw? He’s so American that he’s willing to fight for their country, yet plays for us. 

He's from California so his connection to the USA is not via one of the so-called hick flyby states, so my gut sense is that he feels much differently about that one. 

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

He's from California so his connection to the USA is not via one of the so-called hick flyby states, so my gut sense is that he feels much differently about that one. 

It’s interesting because we feel some type of way about a guy like Vitoria or Hoilett because they turned us down but ZMG proved just how American he was by joining the army, and came to us only when it was very clear that he’d never play for the US. I guess it’s different because he’s only Canadian by technicality, but guys like him, Hiebert, Pos, they basically have to take what they can get. 

54 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

It’s interesting because we feel some type of way about a guy like Vitoria or Hoilett because they turned us down but ZMG proved just how American he was by joining the army, and came to us only when it was very clear that he’d never play for the US. I guess it’s different because he’s only Canadian by technicality, but guys like him, Hiebert, Pos, they basically have to take what they can get. 

I mean can't we say the same thing about Scott Arfield?

4 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

I mean can't we say the same thing about Scott Arfield?

Or Stephen Eustaquio, or Theo Corbeanu, or so on and so forth. I take it from the POV that sports is a business and players need to maximize what they can get out of their career in the short window they have, and as a sports organization, screw you if you're against us, welcome to the party if you're with us. If some new obscure one (more) time switch rule happened tomorrow and Tomori came home, I'd embrace him with open arms, but until that happens, hope he spends his prime not getting called up to England, hope England loses every game he plays in, so on so forth. But you put that Canada jersey on and all is forgotten. Game recognize game.

On 3/25/2023 at 1:07 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Sorry for insisting, but folks are sitting here like monkeys covering their ears and don't want to listen to what he says:

"If the US and the Canada men's national team both wanted me, that would be a good problem, a really good problem to have. I would cross that bridge when I got there if that ever happened".

So this is the interview where your vitriol stems from. You chose to time stamp the video which is convenient for us as it's a long one. Curiously, you could have chosen to stamp it 10 seconds earlier where he says "playing for Canada was a lifelong dream for me when I was a kid".

Look, I hate prairie hick hockey bro racist douchebags as much as the next guy, but you're really projecting here.

ETA: he was specifically asked about his dual nationality by JJD, he didn't bring it up out of nowhere

Its funny how just a comment about Heiberts injury sets UT off on a tirade against Heibert.  You really have it in for this guy eh??  Dont tell me you dont have a special little glow in your heart when a CDN gets playing in Spain, or one of our guys has a spanish connection.  Not many of these "corn fed prairie" boys get in the national team conversation and being one myself I have a soft spot for him.  Although I've had one for Forrest, Bunbury, Bent, Simpson, Jackson, Attakora, Henry, Oso, Didic, and Sirois over the years.  It's all good, why the venom??  

1 hour ago, El Diego said:

So this is the interview where your vitriol stems from. You chose to time stamp the video which is convenient for us as it's a long one. Curiously, you could have chosen to stamp it 10 seconds earlier where he says "playing for Canada was a lifelong dream for me when I was a kid".

Look, I hate prairie hick hockey bro racist douchebags as much as the next guy, but you're really projecting here.

ETA: he was specifically asked about his dual nationality by JJD, he didn't bring it up out of nowhere

"Hey, soccer fan, here are the rules about how you're supposed to think and feel.

I'll be giving you a test tomorrow."

That's more or less what you're saying to me.

Hiebert's a douche, like a lot of wishy washy guys playing multiple options. Until he makes his definitive decision and then I'll be fine if he's wearing our shirt. Fortunately it's not going to be a problem as he's likely not ever going to be good enough.

Just want to say, it's not the prairie connection that bothers me, it is the clear sentiment that people are defending him because of where he is from instead of judging the attitude objectively. I am probably one of the few people here who has actually been to every province in the country, and the territories, and I love it all, it's all amazing. He was clearly saying he felt Canadian as a kid but now, after doing his few years of NCAA and apparently marrying he feels American and is enthused about it. To the point of wanting to play for the States. Screw him.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

21 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I like to think UT just gets bored and likes to stir the pot, because this is opinion is so irrational that it borders on trolling. 

Or maybe he just stubs his toe a lot hiking and it puts him in a frequent bad mood

• 4 weeks later...