WCQ: Third Round - Window 3 (November 12-16, 2021)

dyslexic nam

More I think about it, it’s probably Amanda. 

Good pedigree probably means winning the MAC Hermann award. As much as we are leaps and bounds better than Tanzania they’re still performing well in WC qualifying so Wheeler is probably classifying as a good nation. 

If true that’s a disappointing coup because I just assumed he would play for us over Tanzania. 

2 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

My prediction: Jonathan Ikone has discovered his grandfather was born in Riviere-du-Loup and has decided to switch from France.  Voyageur brains collectively melt at the prospect of having to watch more Lille matches with rose-coloured glasses strong enough to make his contributions look positive.

Backup: Mark Delgado of TFC.  Not to be confused with Marky Delgado.  Completely different person.  *eyes shift back and forth suspiciously*

2 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Was anyone thinking Arfield was committing to us 2-3 weeks before it was announced??  It can happen, but I bet its someone obvious to us, someone who has already been mentioned and Wheels will say oh i meant "widely known" by average fans...its all typical Wheeler hype.  

There was a good 6+ months in the time that we learned arfield was eligible to when he committed to us. I remember the long thread and anguish over a potential Scotland call lol

Oladapo Afolayan

23 years old plays for Bolton Wanderers in League One. 7 goals so far this year. (Good enough for 8th in the league). I have talked about him before as he spent time in TFCs academy and UofT, but was told he was not eligible as likely didn't spend enough time in Canada to get citizenship.

Also spent a short time at ANB Futbol, which conveniently coincided with the time Jebbison was there.

Also scored for West Ham last year in the FA cup.

Also rumoured to be pursued by Nigeria.

That's my guess.

Edited by Stryker911

3 minutes ago, Floortom said:

There was a good 6+ months in the time that we learned arfield was eligible to when he committed to us. I remember the long thread and anguish over a potential Scotland call lol

Yeah but wasnt it the same kind of thing, a tweet or offhand comment in some interview that we argued about whether it meant anything at all??  Was it real, was it the agent forcing a Scotland call up etc??  LOL these threads become living breathing monsters....page after page about guys that are completely gone or never once showed any interest etc. 

Just now, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

He isn't wanted by Israel as far as I know, they have never tried to call him up.

Yes, but Im assuming that Wheels is doing a bit of exaggeration in his criteria.

If we were to take him at his word, only a few guys fit the bill and none of them are actually the guy he is referring to

2 hours ago, nolando said:

Remind me how they looked. What are we expecting strategy-wise from them?

I only watched highlights and read match recaps and reviews, so I'll admit going off that. US game winning goal was an own goal as well. Costa Rica had the run of play at times even in their low block style.  They unfortunately couldn't capitalize on their counters. Not having Joel Campbell and a lack of speed really hurts them. 

Most US pundits said good result(obviously) but by no means were they calling it a dominant performance like their Jamaica at home win from the same window. Many said they were fortunate to get all 3 points. 

Honestly not 100% sure what to expect from them. We exposed them pretty good in the Gold Cup, so I imagine they switch it up a bit but I don't see them playing on the front foot. Panama's goal carved open our backline pretty good, so I would expect they try to attack us through the lines in similar fashion. 

Game will be a battle with Costa Rican's knowing so much on the line for these experienced veterans. 

18 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Oladapo Afolayan

23 years old plays for Bolton Wanderers in League One. 7 goals so far this year. (Good enough for 8th in the league). I have talked about him before as he spent time in TFCs academy and UofT, but was told he was not eligible as likely didn't spend enough time in Canada to get citizenship.

Also spent a short time at ANB Futbol, which conveniently coincided with the time Jebbison was there.

That's my guess.

There was a thread on him quite a while ago when he signed for West Ham, remember him not being eligible so not sure what would change

Edited by Chad_Impact

Super longshot. Auro Jr from Toronto FC. Has mentioned in the past that he loves Canada and would love to join the national team before https://www.reddit.com/r/CanadianPL/comments/lgk6mg/auro_jr_of_tfc_says_on_his_ig_story_that_he_would/ 

He's not close to the Brazil national team obviously, but since we're now into wild guess territory, why not. 

Edit: He's only in his 4th year with Toronto, I thought he was in his 5th, just checked. So can't be him

Edited by rydermike
correction

16 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Oladapo Afolayan

That's my guess.

Watched him play at Ipswich this year, was quality going forward. Got the right back subbed off after like 20 mins, scored two goals and just terrorised Ipswich. One was a great finish. Oh and he also won Bolton’s penalty