WCQ: Third Round - Window 3 (November 12-16, 2021)

dyslexic nam

Match 1: 

Canada vs Costa Rica

November 12th  @ Commonwealth Stadium, Edmonton

Match 2: 

Canada vs Mexico

November 16th @ Commonwealth Stadium, Edmonton

————————————

After gaining five crucial points in window 2, this is another huge window coming up for Team Canada.  Two home games offer an amazing chance to build on our point tally and get closer to Qatar.  

Sidebar:  For anyone making the trip to the “City of Champions”, FC Edmonton will be hosting Forge FC on November 13th.  

224EB4B8-162D-4311-8F0B-50A7CA7E0293.jpeg

Does anyone know who we have on one card for this window?  I am not aware of any suspensions. 

I think Mexico got two single yellows and a double yellow (red) last night against ES.  Not sure what they had going into that one.  

CR didn’t get any cards last night, but may have had some coming in.  

Is there a place to easily find this information? 

Edited by dyslexic nam

2nd overall and even 1st is within our grasp. USA & Mexico have yet to play each other. If they get draws against each other and we continue at our pace we can sprint into 1st. If one of the US or Mexico beats the other we get 2nd.

FIFA ratings will not show it but by the end of this round of qualifying Canada will be on the same footing as Mexico. Top 15 in the world. All these qualifying matches are helping solidify this team into a powerhouse. With each game they're getting more experienced, more confident, stronger.

With each game this team slowly grows into a force to be reckoned with.

Edited by Sal333

In England where I live, most people get annoyed by international football interrupting club football but honestly right now I am annoyed that I have another month of club football before Canada plays again. The only upside is I actually get to attend the club matches but still, this will be a long month. 

41 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Does anyone know who we have on one card for this window?  I am not aware of any suspensions. 

I think Mexico got two single yellows and a double yellow (red) last night against ES.  Not sure what they had going into that one.  

Just from looking on the online summaries this is what I've found. Maybe someone has better info but heading into Cincinnati the total group on yellows is Lozano, Moreno, Jimenez, Gallardo, Corona, and Vega. Unless I'm wrong, Araujo comes back into the fold because his suspension will be for their US away match

1 minute ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

In England where I live, most people get annoyed by international football interrupting club football but honestly right now I am annoyed that I have another month of club football before Canada plays again. The only upside is I actually get to attend the club matches but still, this will be a long month. 

I’ve been thinking the same thing last couple of windows. Can’t wait til November internationals!

3 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Well, it's understandable. England hasn't won anything on the international stage for more than half a century.

1 minute ago, Sal333 said:

Well, it's understandable. England hasn't won anything on the international stage for more than half a century.

It’s not like Canada is a powerhouse on the international scene either and England have just come off a World Cup semi final and Euro final.

I heard Tim Vickey talk about this in regards to South American international football recently and he made a really good point which I think applies here. All of their superstars now play their club football in Europe so the international game is the only time they gets to see these players live, where in England, they are seeing their top players live each week. And for the most part it is the same for Canada, we are only getting a chance to see out tops players live for international matches. 

29 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

It’s not like Canada is a powerhouse on the international scene either and England have just come off a World Cup semi final and Euro final.

I heard Tim Vickey talk about this in regards to South American international football recently and he made a really good point which I think applies here. All of their superstars now play their club football in Europe so the international game is the only time they gets to see these players live, where in England, they are seeing their top players live each week. And for the most part it is the same for Canada, we are only getting a chance to see out tops players live for international matches. 

Don't let this site or the 30, 000 at BMO last night mislead you to think that many Canadians are behind this team. The overwhelming attitude towards Canada Soccer is very much apathy.

Here in Montreal an English radio station devoted solely to sports hasn't had one radio segment on this WC qualifying. The games previous to last night weren't even mentioned on their hourly news roundup. Last night's game was mentioned but it was third on the list behind the Habs' opening game and some gossip that was happening in the NFL.

Many Canadians (at least here in Montreal) still view soccer as a nuisance.

Edited by Sal333

2 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Don't let this site or the 30, 000 at BMO last night mislead you to think that many Canadians are behind this team. The overwhelming attitude towards Canada Soccer is very much apathy.

Here in Montreal an English radio station devoted solely to sports hasn't had one radio segment on this WC qualifying. The games previous to last night weren't even mentioned on their hourly news roundup. Last night's game was mentioned but it was third on the list behind the Habs' opening game and some gossip that was happening in the NFL.

Many Canadians (at least here in Montreal) still view soccer as a nuisance.

Kinda how a lot Canadians view Montrealers no? 

I kid, I kid. 

1 minute ago, BigMo said:

Quite the turnaround for Jamaica and makes our point look better in retrospect.

Wonder if Bailey and Antonio end up showing up for the November window now that they’re alive again?

Antonio barring any injuries has committed himself to the rest of the games (whatever that means). 
Bailey was injured reason for his absence. 

4th to 7th is separated by 3pts. Still wide open.

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Sometimes you just gotta @Olympique_de_Marseille and the information you seek will be there in minutes!😁

5 minutes ago, Shway said:

Sometimes you just gotta @Olympique_de_Marseille and the information you seek will be there in minutes!😁

To answer @dyslexic nam , the guys that were already on a yellow:

On 10/10/2021 at 9:00 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Canadian players that are on a yellow card:
Adekugbe
Kaye
Eustáquio
Piette

+ Brym, who got his yellow card last night.

+ any sanctions that FIFA may impose from the corner kick brawl.

7 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Actually that's how most Canadians view Toronto.

Interesting....I didn't care to ever know that. I would've sworn that was Montreal/Quebec...you know the city where it has people/members who who want to separate themselves from the rest of Canada?

But what are we talking about here! 

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Costa Rican players on a yellow:

- Celso Borges

- Bryan Oviedo

- Bryan Ruiz

- Francisco Calvo

- David Guzmán

- Jonathan Moya

- Jefferson Brenes

There are no suspensions for Costa Rica, the only player to get 2 yellows for them already served his ban.

7 minutes ago, Shway said:

Interesting....I didn't care to ever know that. I would've sworn that was Montreal/Quebec...you know the city where it has people/members who who want to separate themselves from the rest of Canada?

But what are we talking about here! 

Actually, the number of people who want to do that is around 20-25% and most of them are not Montrealers. 

What we are talking about is that most Canadians outside Toronto resent the city because it thinks it's the center of the world.

1 minute ago, frmr said:

Everything west of northern Ontario has similar views of both Montreal and Toronto, but for different reasons.

Being from Toronto you would be naive to not know that. It's just funny that it's coming from someone from Montreal. 

But what are we talkin bout heyea 

17 minutes ago, Shway said:

Being from Toronto you would be naive to not know that. It's just funny that it's coming from someone from Montreal. 

But what are we talkin bout heyea 

I'm not a very good person to ask, I'm not really in touch with the plights of the west. I'm pretty sure the Montreal thing has to do with being French, entitled and something something equalization payments. The Toronto thing has to do with being out of touch and less "Canadian" than the rest of the country, while simultaneously claiming to be where Canada begins and ends. Personally I couldn't care less. Until someone threatens my regional identity, then I will become passionately enraged.

53 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Costa Rican players on a yellow:

- Celso Borges

- Bryan Oviedo

- Bryan Ruiz

- Francisco Calvo

- David Guzmán

- Jonathan Moya

- Jefferson Brenes

There are no suspensions for Costa Rica, the only player to get 2 yellows for them already served his ban.

See...you never cease to amaze me!