WCQ: Third Round - Window 1 (September 2-8, 2021)

Shway

8 hours ago, Floortom said:

I’m really struggling on who to root for between Honduras and USA on Wednesday. 
I still wonder if the US just doesn’t have to much talent to qualify and taking points from Honduras would help us.

then again - it’s not a forgone conclusion that the US qualifies obviously. Having them at 2 points after the first window would result in Berrhalter being canned and a ton of chaos.

I think if Honduras comes out of this window with 5 pts, that would be terrible for us.  A draw is the ideal scenario but failing that I think I'd prefer a US win to a Honduras win.

4 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I think if Honduras comes out of this window with 5 pts, that would be terrible for us.  A draw is the ideal scenario but failing that I think I'd prefer a US win to a Honduras win.

I think that is probably the case, but with the US also only on 2 points, a loss in Honduras would have to rock their confidence.  2 pts from their first 3 games would put them in panic mode and probably mean that we are all really competing for spots 2, 3 and 4 (rather than just the latter two).   

At first I also thought draws in the other matches were best, but a Mexico that feels in control at 9pts and 4pts clear of the field is the one I would prefer to face than one who is only 2pts clear of us and hearing it from 100 million angry El Tri fans. I’d rather over-confident and comfortable than motivated, scared and salty. 

14 minutes ago, shorty said:

At first I also thought draws in the other matches were best, but a Mexico that feels in control at 9pts and 4pts clear of the field is the one I would prefer to face than one who is only 2pts clear of us and hearing it from 100 million angry El Tri fans. I’d rather over-confident and comfortable than motivated, scared and salty. 

Mexico winning also means that other teams a failing to pick up even a single point against them.  El Tri wins and ties everywhere else is ideal.  

8 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

just imo, ideal results for wednesday are a home win at bmo and 3 ties.

I think two ties and a mexico win. Mexico running the table(except against us) and other teams tieing would be great for us. Lets be honest, number 1 is going to Mexico. We have 2.5 spots for 7 teams. 

EDIT: this got me thinking. When the heck is the inter continental playoff draw? 

Edited by king1010

If Mexico keeps winning through the next window as well you just wonder how motivated they will be on a cold November night in Edmonton when they are virtually qualified, it may be a chance to atone for dropped points at home to Honduras! There are many twists and turns to come, it all starts with us getting 3 points at home Wednesday, I am super excited for this match already!

I still assume Mexico and the US will qualify - too much depth.  

Don’t discount the threat of Honduras… 2 away draws is good.  It actually may have been better if El Salvador had won that game yesterday since I don’t rate them.  I’ll cheer for a US win on Wednesday.

I’ll hope for a Costa Rica / Jamaica draw.  The last 2 qualifying campaigns, Costa Rica picked up points at home vs. Mexico so I don’t think it’s a stretch to assume that they are weaker this time around.

I’m surprised by Panama, so we really need to “rein them in” when we play them at home in October - another MUST win.  I looked ahead and our final game is away to Panama so that sets us up well if Panama is still in the mix late. Panama also has US away in its 2nd last game.

3 hours ago, king1010 said:

I think two ties and a mexico win. Mexico running the table(except against us) and other teams tieing would be great for us. Lets be honest, number 1 is going to Mexico. We have 2.5 spots for 7 teams. 

EDIT: this got me thinking. When the heck is the inter continental playoff draw? 

I had this back and forth the other day with some of the folks on here. Mexico clinching too early is bad for us, we need them to have something to play for right up to march. I'll give panama a point now if it means mexico goes all out against el Salvador, Honduras, USA, and panama in the later rounds.

And I don't even think FIFA has announced when the intercontinental draw is, maybe after the teams have been determined. 🤷‍♂️

I think Honduras is in a great spot as well. 2 away draws is a fantastic start. I'm torn on what to cheer for in their match with the US on Wednesday. As much as I would love to see the US with only 2 points after their first 3 matches, I'm not sure I want to see Honduras at 5 points (with a perfect home record and 2 away results out of 2). Maybe a draw is best so they're both at 3 points.

Edson Alvarez picked up a 2nd yellow late in the 2nd half last night. How convenient. He misses Mexico's match on Wednesday against Panama, but then he's available again for the first match of the next window, which is against us.

Edited by jtpc

13 minutes ago, jtpc said:

I think Honduras is in a great spot as well. 2 away draws is a fantastic start. We'll see if they can come up with something against the US on Wednesday or not. I would love for the US to lose and only have 2 points after this window, but I'm not sure Honduras at 5 points is a good tradeoff for that. Maybe a draw is best so they're both at 3 points.

Edson Alvarez picked up a 2nd yellow late in the 2nd half last night. How convenient. He misses Mexico's match on Wednesday against Panama, but then he's available again for the first match of the next window, which is against us.

To channel my inner Steven Caldwell, a Honduras-US draw would be brilliant.   Both of them finishing the window with 3 points would be a great outcome.  

It is probably unlikely that Panama beats Mexico and I would be pretty happy with either a draw or a Mexican win (to start to rein in 2nd-placed Panama).  I get that we don’t want Mexico handing out wins later in the cycle but for now Panama is at 4 points and wiped the floor with Jamaica - in Jamaica.  I don’t think it is safe to assume that we have nothing to worry about if they continue to get points.

For CR-Jamaica, a draw would be ideal for us, but really I am okay with pretty much any result.   

Damn I hope we beat ES.  It would turn this window into a fairly strong start despite how it felt after dropping to Honduras in the opener.  

I realize it will be us, Honduras, and the US fighting for 2nd and 3rd with Honduras dropping points the most ideal thing for us. However, I want Honduras to win against the US because them potentially missing out on two world cups in a row would be the greatest thing ever. 

Of course we need to start picking up wins ourselves though, the ES game and the home game against Panama next window are must wins. 

6 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

I still assume Mexico and the US will qualify - too much depth.  

Don’t discount the threat of Honduras… 2 away draws is good.  It actually may have been better if El Salvador had won that game yesterday since I don’t rate them.  I’ll cheer for a US win on Wednesday.

I’ll hope for a Costa Rica / Jamaica draw.  The last 2 qualifying campaigns, Costa Rica picked up points at home vs. Mexico so I don’t think it’s a stretch to assume that they are weaker this time around.

I’m surprised by Panama, so we really need to “rein them in” when we play them at home in October - another MUST win.  I looked ahead and our final game is away to Panama so that sets us up well if Panama is still in the mix late. Panama also has US away in its 2nd last game.

That’s not good, should be an easy result for Panama.

8 hours ago, jtpc said:

How stupid and antiquated are these accumulation rules. They really need to revisit these.

imagine being suspended for the 14th qualifier match for picking up 2 yellows in 13 matches for example.

this isn’t directly in reference to Alvarez, but just in general 

Edited by Floortom

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

How stupid and antiquated are these accumulation rules. They really need to revisit these.

imagine being suspended for the 14th qualifier match for picking up 2 yellows in 13 matches for example.

this isn’t directly in reference to Alvarez, but just in general 

Its guaranteed that all teams including us will lose a number of players to yellow card accumulation and some key players will miss matches through this cycle.  I wouldn't be surprised if there's at least one player on all the 8 sides who does it twice.

12 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Its guaranteed that all teams including us will lose a number of players to yellow card accumulation and some key players will miss matches through this cycle.  I wouldn't be surprised if there's at least one player on all the 8 sides who does it twice.

Honestly maybe one or two of Kaye Laryea and Vitoria should take Yellows and miss vs. Mexico and have them there to chase Ws vs Jamaica and Panama 

It's crazy minus our draw to Honduras how well the games have gone for Canada's favour. Mexico going 2-0 including a late winner against Jamaica is huge, I think we all knew they had 1 of the 3 guaranteed spots. Jamaica 0-2 is good because I felt they were the team we would be fighting with. Then ofcourse all the draws are amazing as it minimizes the amount of points for teams per game obviously. Heres to 2 draws and a Mexico win on Wednesday in the other 3 games!