WCQ: Third Round - Window 1 (September 2-8, 2021)

Shway

33 minutes ago, Shway said:

Unofficial Squad status:

Out: Cavallini, Akinola 
Questionable: Larin

Larin is the Besiktas squad for tonight's game. 

Edit: Does not mean he will make the team sheet but he is close and the media has said they are hopeful. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

16 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Larin is the Besiktas squad for tonight's game. 

Edit: Does not mean he will make the team sheet but he is close and the media has said they are hopeful. 

I knew he got injured but I completely missed it, what was his injury? 

Anybody want to try themselves at a who might play in which match?

Or who might make the 23-man squad for each match?

I could see how ZBG might get the call for match #1.

I've already said that I think Crépeau starts match #1.

I think Arfield starts match #2 but based on his crazy travel schedule, may not play in match #1 at all.

11 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I think Arfield starts match #2 but based on his crazy travel schedule, may not play in match #1 at all.

Worth remembering Rangers, St Johnstone, Pacos, FC Basel and Red Star play in Europe on Thursday 26th of Aug so probably have league games on Sunday the 29th.  Red Star are the only one without a confirmed time right now. 

Pacos is at 8:30 at night my time it looks like.  

12 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I've been thinking about this quite a bit too.  Taking 3 points in that first game would be so fantastic.  You want your best available for the US, but you can't take Honduras lightly.  

31 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I’ll wait for the squads to be announced before I start doing the impossible.

Lets try naming the 26 man squad first. 

16 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

I've been thinking about this quite a bit too.  Taking 3 points in that first game would be so fantastic.  You want your best available for the US, but you can't take Honduras lightly.  

I think Honduras at home is a must-win.  I would go with the top team for that one.  US away would be nice, but not catastrophic if we didn't win, so I would rest some of the top guys.  El Salvador technically should be the easiest but also the second most important of the three, so try to come back hard on that one.

For the front seven: I think guys like Davies, David, Buchanon and Eustaquio can play all three.  Arfield, Hutch and Larin for the first, Osorio, Kaye and Hoilett for the second, and then some mixture for the third.

For the back three: Vitoria, Kennedy and Johnston (if fit) for the first, Kennedy, Henry and Miller for the second and then whoever's left standing for the third.

6 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I think Honduras at home is a must-win.  I would go with the top team for that one.  US away would be nice, but not catastrophic if we didn't win, so I would rest some of the top guys.  El Salvador technically should be the easiest but also the second most important of the three, so try to come back hard on that one.

For the front seven: I think guys like Davies, David, Buchanon and Eustaquio can play all three.  Arfield, Hutch and Larin for the first, Osorio, Kaye and Hoilett for the second, and then some mixture for the third.

For the back three: Vitoria, Kennedy and Johnston (if fit) for the first, Kennedy, Henry and Miller for the second and then whoever's left standing for the third.

I worry about Eustaquio, his club have not rested him yet and they are playing twice a week from the beginning of the season. 

47 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

This should be a little concerning. We don't have an obvious alternative.

Here are some options:

- Henry

- Vitoria (with Miller or Kennedy in the middle)

- Miller or Kennedy (who'd be playing on their weak side).

- Sturing/Waterman/Bassong

- Convert ZBG

13 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This should be a little concerning. We don't have an obvious alternative.

Here are some options:

- Henry

- Vitoria (with Miller or Kennedy in the middle)

- Miller or Kennedy (who'd be playing on their weak side).

- Sturing/Waterman/Bassong

- Convert ZBG

Not a ton of really convincing options there. There’s still time so I’m pretty optimistic Johnston will play but if not, my guess is Henry at RCB or 4 at the back.

Just now, archer21 said:

Not a ton of really convincing options there. There’s still time so I’m pretty optimistic Johnston will play but if not, my guess is Henry at RCB or 4 at the back.

I see it that way as well, it's just a shame we'd be tempted to shift formation over the loss of Johnston. The same thing happens on the left and we can replace Kennedy with Miller, or vice versa.

Maybe roll the dice on Justin Smith? Don't know a lot about him, but what I know is that he's in the match day squad for Nice and is a midfielder, but can play CB. I have never even seen so much as a highlight of him, but that profile suggests he'd be comfortable with the ball at RCB, which is what I want.

Then again, we are talking about a teenager against Honduras in the final round of WCQ? Pretty risky.

What are your thoughts on the likelihood of points coming out of this window?  Note this is what is realistically most likely - I know we are all dreaming about 9 points.  These is my thoughts, in order of most likely; I don’t think #1 is any kind of guarantee.

1) 6 pts

2) 7 pts

3) 4 pts

4) 9 pts

5) 3 pts

3 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

What are your thoughts on the likelihood of points coming out of this window?  Note this is what is realistically most likely - I know we are all dreaming about 9 points.  These is my thoughts, in order of most likely; I don’t think #1 is any kind of guarantee.

1) 6 pts

2) 7 pts

3) 4 pts

4) 9 pts

5) 3 pts

12 points.

After watching the systemic demolishing of Honduras, US and El Salvador, Panama will forfeit the October 13th game.