WCQ: Third Round - Window 1 (September 2-8, 2021)

Shway

22 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I won't argue that but smart players can adapt on the pitch; they clearly haven't.

Just like the #CanMNT hasn't been able to adapt away from Simon Eaddy's horrible corner kick tactics (except perhaps Hoilett).

I think this is a loose statement. People have “their” choice positions for a reason. You’ll never see a CAM expected/adapt to playing a CDM role - never. ( I instantly think of Ozil) Or an out and out striker adapt to playing a LM/RM position in a 442. Tendencies are real no matter the level. 

We’ve been asking David to be a pure #9, which I don’t think we’ll ever see but he continues to be deployed as such. 

54 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Still early but Jamaica’s B team looked better at Mexico than their A team at home to Panama

Balance. Shape.

Against Mexico they had the shape of a Coca Cola bottle….in this game they started off as Martini Glass.

So far, Mexico is going to finish 1st, Panama looks like the real deal, so I expect 2nd for them.  The USA didn’t impress me, but great result for Canada today . I would think Berhalter is on the hot seat now and if the States don’t win next game, he’ll be gone soon.  The States could miss the 2022 WC if they play as bad the first 2 games.  So that leaves to me 2 WC spots open between Honduras, Costa Rica, Canada, USA Jamaica and El Salvador.  Should be a good battle for that

Edited by nolbertos

I’m really struggling on who to root for between Honduras and USA on Wednesday. 
I still wonder if the US just doesn’t have to much talent to qualify and taking points from Honduras would help us.

then again - it’s not a forgone conclusion that the US qualifies obviously. Having them at 2 points after the first window would result in Berrhalter being canned and a ton of chaos.

1 minute ago, nolbertos said:

So far, Mexico is going to finish 1st, Panama looks like thr read deal, so I expect 2nd or 3rd for them.  The USA didn’t impress me, but great result for Canada . I would think Berhalter is on the hot seat now and if the States don’t win next game, he’ll be gone soon.  The States could miss the 2022 WC if they play as bad the first 2 games.  So that leaves to me 2 WC spots open between Honduras, Costa Rica, Canada, USA Jamaica and El Salvador.  Should be a good battle for that

Lol you’re joking. Panama wasn’t impressive, I refuse to believe it!

It was Jamaica that was surprisingly horrible. Which was due to coaching, as the right adjustments were made at half, but it was to late.

I’ll be surprised if Panama get three points next window.

2 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I’m really struggling on who to root for between Honduras and USA on Wednesday. 
I still wonder if the US just doesn’t have to much talent to qualify and taking points from Honduras would help us.

then again - it’s not a forgone conclusion that the US qualifies obviously. Having them at 2 points after the first window would result in Berrhalter being canned and a ton of chaos.

A draw is perfect.

And no way would GB be fired. They would have to lose a game, and draw the other two…and even still I don’t think they would.

7 minutes ago, Shway said:

A draw is perfect.

And no way would GB be fired. They would have to lose a game, and draw the other two…and even still I don’t think they would.

Klinsmann was canned after 2 matches in the 2018 WCQ campaign.  Granted the US had 0 points, but 2 points to show for Berhalter would be considered a disaster for a top 20 FIFA ranking nation.  Don’t think the US will tolerate another poor WCQ campaign if Berhalter doesn’t turn it around ASAP

Edited by nolbertos

1 minute ago, nolbertos said:

Klinsmann was canned after 2 matches in the 2018 WCQ campaign.  Granted the US had 0 points, but 2 points to show for Berhalter would be considered a disaster for a top 20 FIFA ranking nation.  Don’t think the US will tolerate another poor WCQ campaign if Berhalter doesn’t turn it around ASAP

What happened after the firing? Didn’t change much.

They are Nations league and GC champions under GB…wait…what am I doing - fuck em.

4 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

I'm sad that the match in San Pedro Sula is in the evening and not at tres de la tarde.

They should have scheduled it to roast the yanks in the afternoon sun like they did to us (twice!).

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Panama face Mexico on Wednesday, so if Mexico can take care of business away, that will keep Panama at 4 points.

Wednesday will be difficult for the US, away in Honduras. Imagine if the US only had 2 or 3 points after the first 3 matches.