WCQ: Third Round - Window 1 (September 2-8, 2021)

Shway

3 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I think changing coaches at this point would be devastating for the Americans.  Imagine trying to implement a new system in this tournament?  Do you go with a coach who has lost the team or a coach that will have the team spending the next 3 or 4 games trying to figure out a new system?  You only have 2 or 3 days of prep before the first game in these windows.

I tend to agree in a vacuum, but this US team is a total shit show at this point. You might need to hit reset and hope for the best... I dunno, Gregg has been really good at getting dual nats.

Honduras totally outplaying the States here

1 minute ago, 99bottlesofkvass said:

Win the home game. And not 1-0 but 5-0. The US is playing like a Caribbean minnow.

They're literally getting toyed with by Honduras.

They have no fight. It took us a half to figure out that qualification is a non stop brawl.

Honduras isn't even being dirty with these guys because they're just that shit and lifeless.

Not even trying to murder them off the pitch which is their entire game plan usually

I don't think it's so much a decline than it is inexperience. looking at both them and Jamaica you can see that starting high caliber players with with Concacaf experience isn't very effective 

5 minutes ago, 99bottlesofkvass said:

What is more surprising to you, Canada's dramatic rise or the US's decline into the abyss?

Edited by Ngravs

10 minutes ago, 99bottlesofkvass said:

Sargent is as overrated and unskilled as all other guys, including Pulisic. They hyped him because he was decent at the U-20 WC in 2019. None of the US starting XI would start for Canada, including Pulisic. That's the difference in talent level. A few years ago I wouldn't have imagined the 2 countries going in opposite directions this fast. 

Bless you but no, Sargent is a project to my mind but one worth investing in, but I'll give you the Pulisic question.  Never got it.  Maybe those who've folllowed him more could give you a more educated opinion but honestly, from what I've seen over the last few years I'm not getting it.  Can be a great player, but overhyped at this point (its possible to be both those things).

Match isn't done yet.  See what comes out at the half, USA could use the interruption.  

1 minute ago, Cheeta said:

Bless you but no, Sargent is a project to my mind but one worth investing in, but I'll give you the Pulisic question.  Never got it.  Maybe those who've folllowed him more could give you a more educated opinion but honestly, from what I've seen over the last few years I'm not getting it.  Can be a great player, but overhyped at this point (its possible to be both those things).

Match isn't done yet.  See what comes out at the half, USA could use the interruption.  

Without getting into a direct comparison. I see him a lot like David in the sense that he’s quietly really good. The problem is the US media know he’s the best player on the team and want him to be something he’s not. He’s not like Lando or Dempsey and he’s not going to dominate a game when needed. He’s a VERY good player, it’s just not his game IMO

I have had this opinion in the past but all the really good players on the states have a "I can do this on my own" mentality that hurts them a lot. I think we've seen Davies show that attitude sometimes as well and it's resulted in him having some poor performances sometimes. Luckily Davies is a different level of good and he doesn't always do that but it seems like the guys on the USMNT do. 

On Canada we have guys that buy into a system and are able to play their role well on most given nights. USMNT for me are just a bunch of guys trying to skill their way to win which often does work because they just have that many high quality players. When it doesn't work and other teams push back as a team they fall apart. 

Edited by Atlantic

5 minutes ago, Canucklehead69 said:

Pulisic and Adams would for sure start for us.

Brooks is absolutely ass though and that's their biggest issue.

I would hope that we at least go down swinging at Honduras, although their over long pitch fits us anyways since we're great in transition

I'd take Miles Robinson in a heartbeat

Best I’ve seen Honduras look in years. The US is entirely listless and I wouldn’t be surprised if Honduras puts two more past them.

Najar is quality.

Any one know who the Caribbean commentator is for this match? Enjoying him. 

Edited by BigMo

10 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Who would they even replace Berrhalter with at this point? Would need to be a domestic guy but doubt any of the top candidate like Vanney would take it 

Exactly, if you are a coach why would you take over this tire fire knowing you wouldn't have time to do anything? Jesse Marsch isn't going to resign from his RB Leipzig position to take over this. 

Just now, BigMo said:

Best I’ve seen Honduras look in years. The US is entirely listless and I wouldn’t be surprised if Honduras puts two more past them.

Najar is quality.

Any one know who the Caribbean commentator is for this match? Enjoying him. 

I know Lloyd Sam was the international commentator when Canada played Honduras, would it be him again?

The US has so many problems in this match. Nothing connecting the midfield and attack, no centre back able to step through or pass through the press, Sargent playing as a weird false right winger and not effecting the game at all. It's wild to see how disjointed they are.