WCQ: Canada vs Suriname - In-Match Thread

Big_M

6 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

I have nothing against Wheeler being a homer, he is a delivering a product aimed at a Canadian audience, but god, he is the definition of cringe, like he ALWAYS needs to say something, and most of it is nonsense, like bruh, are you getting paid by the word or what? 

I'm pretty certain he prepares the statement he makes at kick off.

Edited by narduch

13 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Larin - Not a particularly great game for him.  Some people on here seemed to enjoy that he wasn't at his best either.

I did not enjoy it but it felt like a "I told you so" moment. He was not effective.

On 5/11/2021 at 11:26 AM, frmr said:

Not starting our most in form attacker... no offence but I’m glad you’re not manager. 

@frmr I still maintain that Arfield would have been better out there.

On 5/11/2021 at 1:48 AM, Shway said:

lol the man hasn’t played since March. And apparently his commitment which equals motivation is being questioned. 

He’s primarily on the left, but he’s played on the right and has been equally successfully.  I would never have Arfield in that position over Larin. Especially with the form Larin is in.

@Shway If Arfield was available, I would pick him in my squad over Larin for the next 2 matches. Larin is a good player but he has no fancy footwork like David or Davies. He won't create opportunities - only finish them. He has skill but his football IQ is still below Arfield's.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

I hope Herdman is better at his pep talk ahead of Haiti. It seemed to me we started out nervously in this match which is understandable for a young team but I wonder how much of that was down to Herdman trying to scare everyone out of their wits with this “Surinam is top 6 in Concacaf” stuff. I disputed that comment the first time he said it (and he kept repeating it in every media interview as nauseum) and I still dispute that now. Props to him for getting the tactics right but needs to work on the stuff he is better known for - I don’t know what the purpose was in overhyping the opposition here other than to make pre-excuses and give the team some extra nerves

15 minutes ago, Moldy9 said:

He’s annoying. You can be bias in commentary but don’t be a cheerleader. Seriously like listening to a 16 year old girl back in the 90s giggling over the Backstreet Boys. 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

I’d rather have Nigel Reed. Professional.

Do you also prefer vanilla sex with your wife? 

troll GIF

Davi(es/d) are ridiculous. Nervy first half but we were still clearly the better team and getting that first goal was important since it completely opened Suriname up

For the first time, I think Davies further back can work for us. He got the balance right between being defensively responsible and picking moments to go forward to devastating effect. I think he really does have to be played as a wing back and never as a LB in a back 4. But him and Laryea are a devastating combo on the wings. I also think our back 3 really well. Kennedy had a terrific debut and should be the preferred starter from now on. Henry had some iffy moments in posession but didn't have any gaffes in his defending. Johnston was a really pleasant surprise. The personnel could change in the future, but the template for a back 3 we have is very good. Henry or Vitoria in the middle (or Kennedy), Kennedy/Millar/Cornelius as solid left-footed options on one side and Johnston or possibly Fraser if he's in form as a more ball-playing CB on the right.

Time for the boys to (literally) survive the Haiti trip and wrap things up in Bridgeview again next week!

Manager Gorre;

"Not the result we were looking for of course, and I know we're all disappointed but to all of our countrymen from the Netherlands, who gave up precious weeks in their short off seasons and flew across an ocean to be here, I say this.  The future for Suriname is bright! 

"We move forward towards greater successes and I look forward to seeing you all again at the Gold Cup this July.  I know the resolve and commitment you've demostrated in this round of World Cup Qualifying, risking injury in the twighlight of your money earing club careers will not go unappreciated in a country you barely, if at all, know.  Together, we will show this confederation what we are made of!  What say you?!"

* crickets*

2 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Manager Gorre;

"Not the result we were looking for of course, and I know we're all disappointed but to all of our countrymen from the Netherlands, who gave up precious weeks in their short off seasons and flew across an ocean to be here, I say this.  The future for Suriname is bright! 

"We move forward towards greater successes and I look forward to seeing you all again at the Gold Cup this July.  I know the resolve and commitment you've demostrated in this round of World Cup Qualifying, risking injury in the twighlight of your money earing club careers will not go unappreciated in a country you barely, if at all, know.  Together, we will show this confederation what we are made of!  What say you?!"

* crickets*

@SpursFlu take note. This is how funny posts are written.

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

Fuck me, do we have to do this again in four days?

In 4 days it will be relatively easy on the heart. It won't be do or die. Hopefully we have a lead going into game #2 which WILL be do or die. I hope the "do" is "lose by less than 3".

59 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I hope Herdman is better at his pep talk ahead of Haiti. It seemed to me we started out nervously in this match which is understandable for a young team but I wonder how much of that was down to Herdman trying to scare everyone out of their wits with this “Surinam is top 6 in Concacaf” stuff. I disputed that comment the first time he said it (and he kept repeating it in every media interview as nauseum) and I still dispute that now. Props to him for getting the tactics right but needs to work on the stuff he is better known for - I don’t know what the purpose was in overhyping the opposition here other than to make pre-excuses and give the team some extra nerves

Yeah, I know right? Like fuck Herdman if Canada ever loses a game, but also sorta fuck him if we win a do-or-die match that most of us were nervous about 4-0.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Yeah, but I also wonder how much of our jittery start was due to a new line-up learning a new system for the first time in a real match. Maybe it wasn't jitters, is what I'm questioning. 

5 hours ago, El Hombre said:

I have a feeling that a good number of their guys signed up because they assumed CONCACAF would be a cake walk.  Good to put them in their place.  Always want the region to get a little more respect.

Agreed. We just set their program back a couple of years. 

Now we have a bigger challenge vs Haiti, who I think are better now than at the GC. 

49 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Agreed. We just set their program back a couple of years. 

Now we have a bigger challenge vs Haiti, who I think are better now than at the GC. 

I watched the first half hour, or so, of Haiti's match against Nicaragua. They didn't look like they were up to much chop at all. If they're better now than they were 2 years ago, how the fuck did we ever lose to them? What we know for certain is that we're miles better now than we were 2 years ago.

Waking up after last night and I'm just so happy. Excited to get two more games - this squad is definitely something special and I have a strong amount of confidence we'll move into the Top 8. 

Were we jittery? Yes. Was it as clean as we'd like? Definitely not. But damn did they win despite that, when older iterations of this team would have crumbled because of that. 

With dominant wins like this in these "must win" games, this team is only going to get more confident.