WCQ: Canada vs Suriname - In-Match Thread

Big_M

Never in doubt.

A bit of a risky move to debut a new CB pairing in a must-not-lose match along with a completely different formation, but it paid off in the end. Very impressive debut for Kennedy while Johnston (other than one moment where Becker got in behind him) was also very good, that backline felt safe for the most part.

Not sure what KJ was talking about at half time about Canada being responsible for their own "downfall" - that sounded extremely silly when the team was up 1-0 at the half in a game where a draw is enough to advance them, and now sounds utterly ludicrous in a 4-0 win.

1 minute ago, SpursFlu said:

Alphonso Davies on another planet. Best player in Concacaf. Its not even an argument 

There is an argument.

David is also a tremendous player too.  Such a great finisher.

Its insane that Canada very well may and probably does have the best 2 players in CONCACAF!!!!

3 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

There is an argument.

David is also a tremendous player too.  Such a great finisher.

Its insane that Canada very well may and probably does have the best 2 players in CONCACAF!!!!

Cmon Davies does whatever he wants whenever he wants. Its a different type of player

4 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

ehhhhh.. Raul Jimenez is one of the best strikers in the Premier League. Davies is real close though.

He was for sure.

His missed 3/4 of the season with a skull fracture and needed skull surgery.  We don’t know how/if he will return to form.

Its very unfortunate and scary.  But at the moment I think David is the 2nd best player in CONCACAF.

1 minute ago, SpursFlu said:

Cmon Davies does whatever he wants whenever he wants. Its a different type of player

He was still struggling at the start of the season to become a full-time player for Bayern. He's close. But Jimenez literally carried an entire team on his back to Europa League semi-finals. 

2 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

He was for sure.

His missed 3/4 of the season with a skull fracture and needed skull surgery.  We don’t know how/if he will return to form.

Its very unfortunate and scary.  But at the moment I think David is the 2nd best player in CONCACAF.

For sure, we'll have to see how Jimenez does when he returns. I'm wondering if he'll play at the Gold Cup. He was training at the end of the year. 

Thoughts:

- The future is sooooo bright. This team is going to be so fun to watch the next decade. David and Davies chemistry is pure world class. I can't wait till David plays for a world class team and watch him and Davies dominate in big Champions league games. 

- Borjan I'm happy he is the captain I love his vocal and leadership skills. 

- Kennedy and Johnston both played great. Simple and efficient. Very few mistakes

- Eustaquio is amazing. He had a rocky first 15-20 minutes but after looked great. He is going to be such a great midfield for us especially with Hutch getting older.

- Please start Kaye. He continues to look great when he comes on and I think can play well with Davies and David as he has great pace.

Huge win boys and lets get that revenge vs Haiti!!!!! Great night 

1 minute ago, Hawkguy said:

For sure, we'll have to see how Jimenez does when he returns. I'm wondering if he'll play at the Gold Cup. He was training at the end of the year. 

No he hasn’t been cleared yet.  He won’t be until September.  He’s seriously lucky to play a game ever again.  

That injury is the most sickening in any sport in recent memory.  I’m just glad the guy is talking a later the Tramatic Brain Injury.  Makes me sick to my stomach.

2 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

No he hasn’t been cleared yet.  He won’t be until September.  He’s seriously lucky to play a game ever again.  

That injury is the most sickening in any sport in recent memory.  I’m just glad the guy is talking a later the Tramatic Brain Injury.  Makes me sick to my stomach.

I was just going off Nuno's interview saying he might be able to play just 3 weeks ago.