WCQ: Canada vs Suriname - In-Match Thread

Big_M

Canada wins 4-0 against Suriname. That ought to shut those Surinamese fans up especially since Canada we won our group and we did it quite dominantly and decisively. Scoring the most goals out of any team in that group and whilst only giving up 1 goal in that group. Now we go on to face Haiti in the 2 leg playoff starting on Saturday when we have to travel to Haiti.

Either way I'm excited. We have a chance at redemption especially after what happened 2 years ago in the Gold Cup when Haiti beat us.

I tip my hat to Suriname. Gave us quite the scare. Suriname I can honestly say 2026 they could be a team that qualifies out of CONCACAF.

BOOMBABY!!! What a great game!!!! We took care those of hosers (Suriname fans talk a lot of shit), WoW it was beautiful! 

Scott Kennedy looked amazing! Our CB lack of depth is in the past ! with Ferreira, Kennedy, Henry, Vitoria, Miller, Cornelius, James, Sturing and some young players coming up and maybe just maybe Tomori !!!!. I feel very Good about our CBs. 

The Scary thing is .... Osorio I thought didn’t have his best today and same with Larin. Also Hutch and Arfield ( please come back ) weren’t even there. This team is dangerous ! And they are just gonna get better and better! 

This game was hyped up a lot in Suirname and the Caribbean which was great! I wish Canadian media would care like that. Canadian games and Canadian soccer talk needs to be on a more platforms ! This game was a do or die game vs a decent team, Suriname is a decent team ! Which is great for CONCACAF! We need more decent teams !!! 

We have SUPERSTARS playing Canada ! World Class players !!!! Come Canada media step up now!!! 

Also Herdman.... great job !!! I think this weird gross media and CSA worship thing needs to stop. I am sick of seeing your face everywhere, I swear your an attention whore !! I want to see and hear from David and Davies more. But Herdman you did great. 

7 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I did not enjoy it but it felt like a "I told you so" moment. He was not effective.

@frmr I still maintain that Arfield would have been better out there.

@Shway If Arfield was available, I would pick him in my squad over Larin for the next 2 matches. Larin is a good player but he has no fancy footwork like David or Davies. He won't create opportunities - only finish them. He has skill but his football IQ is still below Arfield's.

I think this is pretty unfair to Larin. Watching him play in Turkey all year, he’s highly capable. 

The issue is, he’s not really a target man. His best position is something between a FW and an old-school number 10 who plays behind the target man.

it’s hard to figure out how we fit that sort of role in the team right now with all the other options but it shouldn’t stop us from trying.

I think we looked a little unsettled early because we weren’t expecting 2 holding midfielders from Suriname, which helped them stop us from getting the ball to more advanced positions centrally. We struggled to break them down early and it took a while to figure out tactically how to get through the line. They were also closing down pretty quickly and putting our players under pressure (and taking away outlet passes) which led to some of the sloppy turnovers early. Once we settled into the game, and their legs tired a bit, we had more time and space to move the ball to the open players. And then once we were up in the second half, they had to open up a bit which led to us having much more space offensively.

7 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I hope Herdman is better at his pep talk ahead of Haiti. It seemed to me we started out nervously in this match which is understandable for a young team but I wonder how much of that was down to Herdman trying to scare everyone out of their wits with this “Surinam is top 6 in Concacaf” stuff. I disputed that comment the first time he said it (and he kept repeating it in every media interview as nauseum) and I still dispute that now. Props to him for getting the tactics right but needs to work on the stuff he is better known for - I don’t know what the purpose was in overhyping the opposition here other than to make pre-excuses and give the team some extra nerves

Suriname may not be too six but given their recent player adds, the inherent risks of playing minnows and our history of slipping on banana peels so for me good on Herdman for not downplaying the risks here

8 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Ok wasn’t going to comment but fuck, ya he is a homer good , he is Canadian  calling a Canada game , have you ever watched a Brazil game or an Argentina game or a I can go on and on with whatever countries commentators ? They are all homers when calling their respective countries games so why can’t our commentator be a homer ? Please with this homer crap !

You have no right to tell me how to act. I don't tell you how to act. 

I don't need my commentators making RIDICULOUS calls and bitching about referees. It's like sitting with a loud mouth fan that almost everyone hates at a pub rather than a commentator. I don't mind him being a homer in favouring Canada. But when it's so blind that he's yelling about non-calls for Canada, but making excuses for non-calls against Suriname - it's gross. 

95% of commentators show bias but they control it. IE: Dunfield. He's clearly pro-Canada, but he's not going to let that get in the way (too much) of his commentary. 

To be honest - he sounds more like a mother screaming in the stands than a commentator.

Every time I watch team Canada play I come away think Ritchie Laryea is the most under rated player on the team by leaps and bounds.  He's like our secret weapon.  Team are rightfully wary of Davies and the left side and then the ball finds Laryea on the right and he always makes something happen.  He has so much pace.  His technical ability is quite good.  Davies is a top left back in the world, but we need to appreciate Laryea more.

It looks like Besiktas is interested in Laryea.  I would love to see him get that opportunity.  It looks like Atiba is part player, coach and now manager for Besiktas..lol.   

Edited by prairiecanuck

9 hours ago, VinceA said:

Gotta love people on Twitter complaining about the game not being able to grow because they can't watch it on TV but then balk at getting a OneSoccer sub.

I agree with them and I have a OneSoccer sub. We need more casual supporters if we want the game to grow, but I digress this has been argued to death.

17 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

I don't need my commentators making RIDICULOUS calls and bitching about referees. It's like sitting with a loud mouth fan that almost everyone hates at a pub rather than a commentator. I don't mind him being a homer in favouring Canada. But when it's so blind that he's yelling about non-calls for Canada, but making excuses for non-calls against Suriname - it's gross. 

95% of commentators show bias but they control it. IE: Dunfield. He's clearly pro-Canada, but he's not going to let that get in the way (too much) of his commentary. 

To be honest - he sounds more like a mother screaming in the stands than a commentator.

Dunfield? The guy that orgasmed on air when we scored against US in Nations League?

4 minutes ago, BigMo said:

I agree with them and I have a OneSoccer sub. We need more casual supporters if we want the game to grow, but I digress this has been argued to death.

I'm the definition of a casual.  I'm a sports junkie and really only got into soccer about a decade ago because of my wife's boss who's from England.  He wasn't even aware of this game until 2 days ago.  I mean England's number one for him, but he's lived in Canada for 20 years and soccer is his number one sport.  If this was on the big networks, they would advertise the game in advance and fans like him would definitely tune in.  He ended up picking up a one soccer sub to watch the game Yesterday after I told him about it.  There's a large contingent of ex pats from countries from all over the world that could get behind this Canadian team.  We need to do a better job of marketing the team.

8 hours ago, VinceA said:

Gotta love people on Twitter complaining about the game not being able to grow because they can't watch it on TV but then balk at getting a OneSoccer sub.

There’s a load of Canadians who would follow these kinds of games who miss out.  I understand that.   Several of my friends would have watched it and surely would have been pleased to see our strikers.  

I no longer question the model but I do think that bigger matches will get a simulcast with a network.  Even one game would draw in neutral fans 

2 minutes ago, Ruud said:

There’s a load of Canadians who would follow these kinds of games who miss out.  I understand that.   Several of my friends would have watched it and surely would have been pleased to see our strikers.  

I no longer question the model but I do think that bigger matches will get a simulcast with a network.  Even one game would draw in neutral fans 

Have to think if we make the octo against the states and mexico one of tsn or sportsnet will pay for the rights. 

1 hour ago, ag futbol said:

I think this is pretty unfair to Larin. Watching him play in Turkey all year, he’s highly capable. 

The issue is, he’s not really a target man. His best position is something between a FW and an old-school number 10 who plays behind the target man.

it’s hard to figure out how we fit that sort of role in the team right now with all the other options but it shouldn’t stop us from trying.

Which is why Herdman should utilize him more as such in that particular position 

2 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Also Herdman.... great job !!! I think this weird gross media and CSA worship thing needs to stop. I am sick of seeing your face everywhere, I swear your an attention whore !! I want to see and hear from David and Davies more. But Herdman you did great.

He's the coach, so of course the media's going to want to hear from him — when they even bother to cover the team, that is. And apparently he lives rent-free in your head for fulfilling the duties of a modern coach.

18 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Have to think if we make the octo against the states and mexico one of tsn or sportsnet will pay for the rights.

They didn't for the Nations League games against the U.S.

36 minutes ago, narduch said:

Dunfield? The guy that orgasmed on air when we scored against US in Nations League?

Again, that's the bias that a lot of commentators have. And I also said "(too much)" cause I don't think he's particularly great but he's much better than Wheeler. 

Wheeler is legit just a dude making his GDT comments on air lol

29 minutes ago, Ruud said:

Yup. There are only so many subscriptions you can get after a while. One soccer is limiting

The same people complaining about the game being on One Soccer would also complain if the the game had to be kicked to TSN2 or Sportsnet 1 because of an NBA or NHL playoff game.

They probably all subscribe to Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+ without even batting an eye.

Perhaps One Soccer could make a deal with CBC to broadcast the 1st leg against Haiti. But at this point they are probably selling so many subs now thanks to the recent buzz that I'm not sure they will even want to partner with anyone.

57 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

As a commentator, I’m ok with Wheeler - I’m used to him by now.  As an overall soccer personality I think he’s great.

But I hear you on the comments about the ref (which a lot of homer commentators do - ever listen to a Bruins hockey game?)... Nima Sighafi is definitely one of the best refs we could draw when we face Latin American opposition as he is wise to shenanigans and has good control.

1 minute ago, The Real Marc said:

Yup. There are only so many subscriptions you can get after a while. One soccer is limiting

It may turn out that One Soccer actually did their research and that their long term gamble will pay off.  

Right now, the early success of our national team is drawing some attention onto their platform.  We are getting results that lead to more games, and in those games we may get results that will lead to even bigger games.  I am pretty sure at least some Ocho games would get picked up by the big networks, which would mean more revenue for OS and more eyes on their product with their little embedded logo.  Plus maybe folks get motivated to watch some Gold Cup games if we beat Haiti and folks keep hearing about our hundred million dollar attacking lineup.  I guarantee that the overall (and sustained) level of interest in our team will go way up if we ever manage to make 2022.

Amd all of this isn’t even factoring in 2026 and the buildup to what will be the biggest soccer party this country has ever seen.  It also doesn’t factor in the fact that CPL could continue growing and drawing attention onto their platform for another 7 or 8 years until their agreement expires.  It also doesn’t factor in the women’s team, who have done a great job of attracting public attention during high profile competitions.  

I think OS still had a lot of worm to do to get people subbing to their platform.  But the stars are lining up for some pretty favourable conditions.  

1 minute ago, TOcanadafan said:

As a commentator, I’m ok with Wheeler - I’m used to him by now.  As an overall soccer personality I think he’s great.

But I hear you on the comments about the ref (which a lot of homer commentators do - ever listen to a Bruins hockey game?)... Nima Sighafi is definitely one of the best refs we could draw when we face Latin American opposition as he is wise to shenanigans and has good control.

I like Wheeler in a lot of aspects of his commentary. But I don't need to hear my commentator going overboard on missed, blown, or worse calls. His call on David's non PK last night was cringe. 

As a personality, I agree - I like him. I just wish he would cut that junk out of the commentary. The rest is fine. His goal calls are fine. His knowledge about the players is good and nice to learn. And his passion about the program is good too - but it's almost disrespectful to sport to get that up in arms when you're in a professional position. 

On that note - I haven't ever watched a Bruins game on their network. I'm a Habs fan. I spent my childhood watching games in French and only knowing about half of what was being said. And now I listen to them on Sportsnet, where they're clearly Toronto fans hahaha. 

Buck Martinez is a homer for the Jays.. but even he doesn't get quite as worked up as Wheeler seems too. Buck is just awful though cause he barely calls the game lol

I will say this - props to OneSoccer for fixing the issues from Saturday night. The stream against Aruba was atrocious and the worst viewing experience I've ever had. I still don't like that they didn't really make a public announcement about it and just ignored it - a smaller company should not be doing that. But the stream last night was perfect. 

4 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

I will say this - props to OneSoccer for fixing the issues from Saturday night. The stream against Aruba was atrocious and the worst viewing experience I've ever had. I still don't like that they didn't really make a public announcement about it and just ignored it - a smaller company should not be doing that. But the stream last night was perfect. 

Its also nice to have a pre and post game show.

TSN would probably go straight to SportsCentre.