WCQ: Canada vs Suriname - In-Match Thread

Big_M

39 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

The worst part with Wheeler is that he COULD be good. He's just such a damn homer

Ok wasn’t going to comment but fuck, ya he is a homer good , he is Canadian  calling a Canada game , have you ever watched a Brazil game or an Argentina game or a I can go on and on with whatever countries commentators ? They are all homers when calling their respective countries games so why can’t our commentator be a homer ? Please with this homer crap !

Edited by SoccMan

30 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Never in doubt.

A bit of a risky move to debut a new CB pairing in a must-not-lose match along with a completely different formation, but it paid off in the end. Very impressive debut for Kennedy while Johnston (other than one moment where Becker got in behind him) was also very good, that backline felt safe for the most part.

Not sure what KJ was talking about at half time about Canada being responsible for their own "downfall" - that sounded extremely silly when the team was up 1-0 at the half in a game where a draw is enough to advance them, and now sounds utterly ludicrous in a 4-0 win.

Was KJ not talking about the game versus Haiti, wrt to being the architects of our own "downfall"?

For those of us old enough, the past voices of Canadian soccer.  Who, by the way, I wouldn't trade for the world.

Vic Rauter and Graham Leggat

Jerry Dobson and Craig Forrest

There's a problem with Wheeler?  Enjoy it.  There's a sort of charm in the personal investment these people make in Canadian footie, and are unashamed to broadcast it, that will grow on you.  

11 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Ok wasn’t going to comment but fuck, ya he is a homer good , he is Canadian  calling a Canada game , have you ever watched a Brazil game or an Argentina game or a I can go on and on with whatever countries commentators ? They are all homers when calling their respective countries games so why can’t our commentator be a homer ? Please with this homer crap !

Yeah, I tend to agree. I'm a Canadian homer. I have no problem listening to another homer. 

Try watching all games from the US, where it's usually a mexican commentator who doesn't know a single thing about CanMNT. 

(admittedly, I watch the OneSoccer highlights and Wheeler is a bit cliche so maybe 90 minutes of it is too much)

I know were all Canada fans here but some of our negative bias really shows on our takes.

Overall, slow start but a great game for Canada.  A quick breakdown for players.

Borjan - was a great leader and captain out there and besides his terrible pass to start the game did everything right in my opinion.

Johnston - Other than getting beat for pace on the one through ball, he was fantastic.

Henry - He clearly still has a few haters on here who will try and bring him down.  Had a few bad passes but I thought his overall game was actually quite good and as the OneSoccer panel mentioned, he had to lead a couple of new players alongside him (even though Kennedy and Johnston didn't really need it).  

Kennedy - Bravo, give yourself a round of applause.  Great performance.

Laryea - He was good but not great.  Didn't show his usualy flash going forward but in big games like this we need him to help ensure a shutout which he did.

Davies - Oustanding.  That is all.

Eustaquio - Very nervy start and some very poor passes early on but he was absolutely outstanding as the game progressed, particularly in the 2nd half.

Piette - He was okay.  I'm just not sure he's going to do enough for this midfield.  Would rather see him off the bench to shut teams down.

Osorio - Not a great game.  Clearly not match fit and it showed but he did get better as the game went on.  I also think he thrives with a more attack minded midfielder beside him such as Atiba and Arfield, or even Kaye.

Larin - Not a particularly great game for him.  Some people on here seemed to enjoy that he wasn't at his best either.

David - Outstanding.  Obviously missed a breakaway early but other then that was great.

MAK - Thought he looked very good.  I would consider starting him or Wotherspoon over Piette or Osorio.

Cavallini - I thought he was fairly good in his short time on the field.  Although like many of our subs, they all stood out with a defeated Suriname team late.

Wotherspoon - He grows on me more and more every game.

Buchanan - Good but didn't get to show too much in his short appearance.

Adekugbe - I thought he was good as well.  Continues to impress me and I am much more confident in him starting games now more than ever.

Edited by Corazon

Must admit I had some major butterflies leading up to this game and all through the first half but WOW did they vanish in the 2nd!!  That was fun to watch.

What a strange feeling to have watching  the second half of such an important game......actual confidence and no nail biting even after all the subs. 

I like this feeling!!!  I want more!!!!

Keep it up Boys!!

Love the vibe of this team and also love seeing Hume one OneSoccer!!!

22 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

He’s annoying. You can be bias in commentary but don’t be a cheerleader. Seriously like listening to a 16 year old girl back in the 90s giggling over the Backstreet Boys. 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

I’d rather have Nigel Reed. Professional.