Enes Sali

Dominic94

13 hours ago, Cblake said:

To bad the same did not happen with Begovic when Canada had the chance, he was on the bench for a WCQ for gods sake, that still stings. 

I might be mistaken but Begovic’s case may have been differnnt.  He was definitely capped at the U20 level for canada as he played in all the games the u20 team played.

but then the rules got changed.  And unless i am mistaken,  the games a player played at u20 no longer counted towards cap tying a player.  And he  took advantage of it.   Hence,  for the game you are refrring to , they might have thought he was cap tied.

edit.:  by the way, i was recently checking the uero WCQ box scores and game summaries for Bosnia.  I didnt see his name anywhere.

Edited by Free kick

8 hours ago, Free kick said:

but then the rules got changed.  And unless i am mistaken,  the games a player played at u20 no longer counted towards cap tying a player.  And he  took advantage of it.  

The rule change had to do with the timing of the one-time switch. Previously the players had to file their switch before they turned 21 and Begovic became cap-tied to Canada on his 21st birthday. The subsequent rule change removed that age limit allowing older players to file a switch.

Feel like Begovic joining Bosnia was our own fault. We called him up to the senior squad multiple times in 2007 and 2008 and just left him on the bench. Then Bosnia asked. If your choice is to continue to sit on Canada's bench or be Bosnia's starter in the WC the choice is easy. Easily could've tossed him into a qualifying match against St. Vincent and the Grenadines in 2008 to cap tie him. 

1 minute ago, top cheese said:

Or he just never pans out bc he’s 15 

And he never pans out. So what? It's not like countries are limited to the number of players they can cap tie.

Or are you saying he won't develop because they cap tied him at 15?

10 hours ago, rydermike said:

Feel like Begovic joining Bosnia was our own fault. We called him up to the senior squad multiple times in 2007 and 2008 and just left him on the bench. Then Bosnia asked. If your choice is to continue to sit on Canada's bench or be Bosnia's starter in the WC the choice is easy. Easily could've tossed him into a qualifying match against St. Vincent and the Grenadines in 2008 to cap tie him. 

Uh. As was said above a few times, he WAS cap tied at the time!  So there was no need to throw him in to cap tie him

9 hours ago, Sal333 said:

And he never pans out. So what? It's not like countries are limited to the number of players they can cap tie.

Or are you saying he won't develop because they cap tied him at 15?

It's possible that cap tying such a young player could have negative effects on the player. There have been plenty of players in all sports that have crumbled under too much pressure, too soon. Maybe he starts thinking he is already good enough, getting into the national team at only 15 years old. No more work for him to do, just start demanding from your coach that he gets more playing time because he's a superstar.

His future isn't written yet. We don't know if this will be good for him or bad for him. We don't know how good he will be. Best to just wait and see what happens. And personally, I'm not going to write him off as "already gone" because he isn't cap tied yet, but I also won't be making any roster predictions or dream rosters with his name on them.

On 11/7/2021 at 2:16 AM, Kent said:

It's possible that cap tying such a young player could have negative effects on the player. There have been plenty of players in all sports that have crumbled under too much pressure, too soon. Maybe he starts thinking he is already good enough, getting into the national team at only 15 years old. No more work for him to do, just start demanding from your coach that he gets more playing time because he's a superstar.

His future isn't written yet. We don't know if this will be good for him or bad for him. We don't know how good he will be. Best to just wait and see what happens. And personally, I'm not going to write him off as "already gone" because he isn't cap tied yet, but I also won't be making any roster predictions or dream rosters with his name on them.

Besides, it's cynical and unfair. Cynical because he's not amongst the best 6, never mind 15 Romanian midfielders. They are not calling him based on objective quality. 

And that's why it's unfair. You're a 22 year old top flight Romanian and obviously are better than Salí and can contribute better in a national team game. But you are ignored, maybe forever, but he's called and even played. And gets paid for it by the Romanian FA! And the next match you run circles around him in the league and the conclusion is: the Romanian federation is cynical, unfair and maybe a bit corrupt. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

12 hours ago, An Observer said:

Uh. As was said above a few times, he WAS cap tied at the time!  So there was no need to throw him in to cap tie him

Ok yes, I looked up the rules again and saw that the old rules stated that you had to apply before your 21st birthday and the rules were changed in June 2009 (when Begovic was 22). My bad. I thought it was part of the original 2004 rules. (The comment right above mine that said that was posted at 10:20 am. Mine was also posted at 10:20 am, so I hadn't read that one as it was posted mere seconds before mine)

Still wish they would've at least thrown him into a friendly since we played lots of those in 2007 and 2008, give him the sense that he's a critical piece. Oh well. I will always remember his sliding handball in the U20 that forced Jonathan Beaulieau-Bourgaut to go in net.

Edited by rydermike

2 hours ago, rydermike said:

Ok yes, I looked up the rules again and saw that the old rules stated that you had to apply before your 21st birthday and the rules were changed in June 2009 (when Begovic was 22). My bad. I thought it was part of the original 2004 rules. (The comment right above mine that said that was posted at 10:20 am. Mine was also posted at 10:20 am, so I hadn't read that one as it was posted mere seconds before mine)

Still wish they would've at least thrown him into a friendly since we played lots of those in 2007 and 2008, give him the sense that he's a critical piece. Oh well. I will always remember his sliding handball in the U20 that forced Jonathan Beaulieau-Bourgaut to go in net.

Are you saying that Jonathan Beaulieau-Bourgaut therefore has the best record as a Canadian national team goalkeeper? 

https://www.gsp.ro/fotbal/nationala/enes-sali-canada-646515.html

Read about the decision here. Seems we tried to recruit him (as expected) but the father is making the decision to "thank Hagi". 

FWIW his mother wants him to play for Canada.

This is kind of icky and sickening tbh. Playing for Romania to thank your coach? You're going to net him millions - you don't need to sacrifice your international career for him. 

If you need your parents to speak for you and make such a big decision you aren't ready to commit to that decision. Whether for Canada or Romania.

Edited by CanadaFan123

14 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

https://www.gsp.ro/fotbal/nationala/enes-sali-canada-646515.html

Read about the decision here. Seems we tried to recruit him (as expected) but the father is making the decision to "thank Hagi". 

FWIW his mother wants him to play for Canada.

This is kind of icky and sickening tbh. Playing for Romania to thank your coach? You're going to net him millions - you don't need to sacrifice your international career for him. 

If you need your parents to speak for you and make such a big decision you aren't ready to commit to that decision. Whether for Canada or Romania.

It probably happens more than we think but parents controlling what team their kid will represent nationally feels so gross. I get it, the father is Romanian and probably has a strong affinity for the country but for all we know Enes feels more Canadian than Romanian.

2 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

It probably happens more than we think but parents controlling what team their kid will represent nationally feels so gross. I get it, the father is Romanian and probably has a strong affinity for the country but for all we know Enes feels more Canadian than Romanian.

I'm almost certain that before my time is done, we'll see a case at CAS where a player wants to be freed from a cap-tie that occurred when he/she was still a minor and under the undue influence of a parent who might not have had the child's best interest at heart.

2 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I'm almost certain that before my time is done, we'll see a case at CAS where a player wants to be freed from a cap-tie that occurred when he/she was still a minor and under the undue influence of a parent who might not have had the child's best interest at heart.

FIFA should be proactive and make it a rule that you cannot be cap tied until after the age of 18.

A 15 year old child literally has no chance in this instance. His two guardians, his father and Hagi, are pushing him to play for Romania. What chance does he have to say no? 

Any parent with a brain in their head would take pause, thank Romania and Canada for their call ups, and say that they aren't ready to commit at this stage.

Edited by CanadaFan123

3 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

FIFA should be proactive and make it a rule that you cannot be cap tied until after the age of 18.

A 15 year old child literally has no chance in this instance. His two guardians, his father and Hagi, are pushing him to play for Romania. What chance does he have to say no? 

Any parent with a brain in their head would take pause, thank Romania and Canada for their call ups, and say that they aren't ready to commit at this stage.

You mean a parent that truly has only the best interest of their child at heart. History is littered with sports or entertainment parents who have lost their minds in the face of the real or perceived riches they could garner off their children's talents.

5 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

You mean a parent that truly has only the best interest of their child at heart. History is littered with sports or entertainment parents who have lost their minds in the face of the real or perceived riches they could garner off their children's talents.

Yes, very true. 

And that's the thing with this Hagi relationship that's a little off. Obviously the dad is looking up to him for advice on his son - he could probably tell Mr. Sali that Enes should start playing keeper and he would buy it as being in his "best interests".

The quote about them needing to thank Hagi comes off as cringey and fan boyish. Thank him for what? Your son is supremely talented and is playing first team football at 15. Hagi needs to thank you.

Edited by CanadaFan123

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

That is a pretty solid suggestion actually.   It makes sense both from a principled sense (re the maturity to make a decision of the magnitude) and a legal sense (insofar as lots of decisions have different consequences and degrees of “binding” when you are a minor).   And in truth, there would be very little downside since anyone genuinely interested in playing for a specific country would simply keep playing for them upon reaching real adulthood.  

Good idea.

"For now we are here, we play for Romania. You never know what your future holds. I don't want to say anything and not come true later. I hope it will be Romania. We are Turks, but we are not Turkish citizens.We have dual citizenship, Romanian and Canadian. For me, Romania is the first option ".

dumb-and-dumber-lloyd.gif

Edited by Bertuzzi44

The strangest part of this is that both parents are Turkish blood and only Romanian through living there.  I lived in the US for several years and if I ever moved to a 3rd country where I raised kids, I could tell you that USA would be the last country I would ever want my children to play for.  It would be one of either, my adopted homeland or my home country Canada (In my case, its always going to be Canada first).  This clearly stinks of Romania & Hagi pulling the strings.  It just doesn't make sense aside from Hagi and Romania starting his club career.

Now that I think about it though.  This literally just happened with Ike Ugbo.  However, Ike knew he was never going to breakthrough at England and caps would be very difficult to come by with Nigeria as an attacker.

Edited by Corazon

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

The strangest part of this is that both parents are Turkish blood and only Romanian through living there.  I lived in the US for several years and if I ever moved to a 3rd country where I raised kids, I could tell you that USA would be the last country I would ever want my children to play for.  It would be one of either, my adopted homeland or my home country Canada (In my case, its always going to be Canada first).  This clearly stinks of Romania & Hagi pulling the strings.  It just doesn't make sense aside from Hagi and Romania starting his club career.

Now that I think about it though.  This literally just happened with Ike Ugbo.  However, Ike knew he was never going to breakthrough at England and caps would be very difficult to come by with Nigeria as an attacker.

I thought his parents are born/raised in Romania but with Turkish blood. To me, I completely understand their allegiance to Romania (even if I wish it was to Canada).

For perspective, I am born/raised in Canada, with chinese blood, and living in the USA with only a couple more years till citizenship. If Canada was to play China, I would hope Canada wins 8-1 so I can drink their tears. And if I had kids born here in the USA and they wanted to rep USA I would steer them towards Canada. So I totally understand Sali's parents sentiments (unfortunately).

24 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

I thought his parents are born/raised in Romania but with Turkish blood. To me, I completely understand their allegiance to Romania (even if I wish it was to Canada).

For perspective, I am born/raised in Canada, with chinese blood, and living in the USA with only a couple more years till citizenship. If Canada was to play China, I would hope Canada wins 8-1 so I can drink their tears. And if I had kids born here in the USA and they wanted to rep USA I would steer them towards Canada. So I totally understand Sali's parents sentiments (unfortunately).

Interestingly it’s only the father. His mother wants him to play for Canada.