Enes Sali

Dominic94

Was also going to post this. 

Romania nabbed some poor results these past months, including drawing Iceland this window at home, and drawing Macedonia in September. They lost points and paid for it.

Finally, folks, let's stop with this "Northern" business. It's Macedonia. That is simply a jingoistic imposition by Greece and makes no sense, as bad as "Former Yugoslavian Republic of Macedonia". It's Macedonia, if the Greeks have a region with the same name and this offends their historical legacy, it is their problem. I have a student this year, who told us "I'm from Macedonia", and I said to him before the whole class, "good of you to call your country by its right name." 

14 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Terrible decision if this was just forced on him by those influencing him. If he feels Romanian, good on him, but not convinced this is his decision given he is only 15. 

We’ll see how things play out after his 3 year window expires. 

The 3 year window will never expire.  They will keep doling out enough garbage minutes to ensure they keep him from switching allegiances.  This was the most cynical of cap ties and absolutely transparent.   The outcome was predictable and unfortunate.   

4 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Truly a case where a player was given brtual advice, chance to play in a World Cup in 2026… and probably 2022. It sucks, but absolute joke.

Brutal advice for sure, agree about 2026 and beyond... but he was never going to be involved with our senior side for 2022.  Who would he have displace?  

39 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

The 3 year window will never expire.  They will keep doling out enough garbage minutes to ensure they keep him from switching allegiances.  This was the most cynical of cap ties and absolutely transparent.   The outcome was predictable and unfortunate.   

Or he could wise up as he matures and realize the situation, refuse call ups to Romania knowing he's a lock for 2026 if his trajectory continues. 

Just now, king1010 said:

Or he could wise up as he matures and realize the situation, refuse call ups to Romania knowing he's a lock for 2026 if his trajectory continues. 

I really, really doubt a child is going to have that type of foresight (and even fortitude) to go against what everyone around him is pushing him towards.  

By the time he does, it will be too late

3 minutes ago, king1010 said:

If he was that smart, he wouldn’t have accepted a call knowing he would be gifted garbage minutes in a meaningless game just for the sake of tying him down.   There is literally no other reason that could be cited for what happened today so clearly he is happy to be tied to Romania.   

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

If he was that smart, he wouldn’t have accepted a call knowing he would be gifted garbage minutes in a meaningless game just for the sake of tying him down.   There is literally no other reason that could be cited for what happened today so clearly he is happy to be tied to Romania.   

He's 15, he isn't that smart now, I'm saying by the time he's 18 maybe things change, obviously not for sure. My thought process was completely different at 18 versus 15. Clearly he's being pressured now and isn't experienced, mature enough to make his own decision, but in a couple years perhaps. 

Edited by king1010

2 minutes ago, king1010 said:

He's 15, he isn't that smart now, I'm saying by the time he's 18 maybe things change, obviously not for sure. My thought process was completely different at 18 versus 15. Clearly he's being pressured now and isn't experienced, mature enough to make his own decision, but in a couple years perhaps. 

I get it.  I just think they will make a point of getting him minutes when he is 16.  And then 17.  And it will always be 3 more years that he would have to avoid international footy.  

I just don’t see it happening.  

It’s hard to expect a 15 year old to say no to a call up when he probably faced a lot of internal pressure, I’m not necessarily mad at Enes himself. Fuck the Romanian FA and his “support group” though, what a cynical cap tie. 

Also @Unnamed Trialist good post, I’m Macedonian but unfortunately it’s...complicated. My grandparents are all from right near the border in what’s now northern Greece, everyone identifies as Macedonian though. On both sides of the family our last names got changed to something Greek sounding, the villages they lived in got their names changed to something Greek. I’m happy in two ways that Macedonia finished 2nd today!

2 hours ago, canuckgbp said:

Romania knocked out thanks to North Macedonia. 

Romania knocked out thanks to themselves for losing to Armenia earlier in qualifiers and not scoring on Iceland despite dominating.. the team has second fewest goals conceded in the group but only 13 goals for. Finishing is a big problem, but a temporary one. U20s are looking good

in this case there isn’t much reason to be bitter, he’s 15, his family have lived in Romania for generations and he plays and learns from his idol growing up, Hagi

this may not the be the team that won 9 games in a row to qualify to WC 98, but he and his family clearly have some bigger connection than Corbeanu did, for example. And we don’t know what the future will hold yet

Edited by Filip

1 hour ago, Bdog said:

It’s hard to expect a 15 year old to say no to a call up when he probably faced a lot of internal pressure, I’m not necessarily mad at Enes himself. Fuck the Romanian FA and his “support group” though, what a cynical cap tie. 

Also @Unnamed Trialist good post, I’m Macedonian but unfortunately it’s...complicated. My grandparents are all from right near the border in what’s now northern Greece, everyone identifies as Macedonian though. On both sides of the family our last names got changed to something Greek sounding, the villages they lived in got their names changed to something Greek. I’m happy in two ways that Macedonia finished 2nd today!

on a side note, the FRF (FA) president is rather corrupt and has no soccer background, a lot of people want him out. He literally has beef with the entire golden generation (Hagi, Popescu, Dumitrescu, etc) and they won’t work together.

Some selections also still seem to be influenced by agent mafia linked to psychotic club owners like Gigi Becali (look him up..), this is just the tip of the iceberg

a country with technically gifted talents and some potential but still with some problems at the core. 

something Canada is far better at. Professional mentalities, physical preparation, and less corruption.

Although IMO it’s clear Canada will probably make every WC going forward, with the current program and others who will end up switching too, two big stars who are difference makers, being in CONCACAF, etc.

But also, a lot can change in international football in even just a year or two. We don’t know what the situation will be like for Romania in 2026. It takes a lot more than raw talent though, and that’s all this kid has for now

Edited by Filip

7 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Really unfortunate because it seems like Sali has huge potential. And like others have said, very likely he keeps getting caps either to ensure he never becomes eligible for Canada or simply on merit.

Move this to World football for sure. Time to go read the depressing Flores thread now lol

Seriously.  This guy is gone.  Flores isn’t yet gone but seems to be the new poster child for Mexican soccer.   Dias (I think) favours waiting for a Portugal call.  We seem to be 3rd choice for Ferdi.  

It sure seems like a lot of our potential duals won’t be suiting up in the red and white anytime soon.  I know we win the occasional Ugbo or Akinola (and can’t lose sight of the fact that Eustaquio is still a relatively recent “get”) but I am not sure we are on the positive side of the ledger when it comes to a lot of these prospects. 

Edited by dyslexic nam

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

On the surface it seems dumb for a 15year old to limit his options like this so early, especially with uncertain future of Romania (despite the youth sector seeming promising). But what if he just really feels connected to Romania because of how his parents raised him and working with his idol Hagi? It might turn out badly for him but that doesn’t mean he wouldn’t have made the same decision at 18 either. But it is indeed cynical by the FRF because now we’ll probably never know for sure

As someone said earlier in the thread, Canada’s future looks pretty well set for good times for awhile, but we still have to prove it on the big stage. There’s time to do that, but who’s to say Romania won’t be good by 2026 either? Especially with 3 more UEFA spots for 2026 & beyond, it seems

I’m not terribly worried either way, move the thread to World Football IMO and we can re-evaluate in a few years..

Edited by Filip

15 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Seriously.  This guy is gone.  Flores isn’t yet gone but seems to be the new poster child for Mexican soccer.   Dias (I think) favours waiting for a Portugal call.  We seem to be 3rd choice for Ferdi.  

It sure seems like a lot of our potential duals won’t be suiting up in the red and white anytime soon.  I know we win the occasional Ugbo or Akinola (and can’t lose sight of the fact that Eustaquio is still a relatively recent “get”) but I am not sure we are on the positive side of the ledger when it comes to a lot of these prospects. 

Dias played for Canada at the u23 tournament in the middle of a global pandemic, which is more than any dual has done prior to committing to us. We have to remember, the last good opportunity to cap tie these guys was at the gold cup and none of them were ready then. In Dias' case if he's trending upwards and making Sporting's 18 by January he may receive a call, same with Mitrovic. Hoilett has massive injury problems and Oso will be out of season these guys may break the 26 man squad based on merit.

13 minutes ago, Tyler55 said:

Dias played for Canada at the u23 tournament in the middle of a global pandemic, which is more than any dual has done prior to committing to us. We have to remember, the last good opportunity to cap tie these guys was at the gold cup and none of them were ready then. In Dias' case if he's trending upwards and making Sporting's 18 by January he may receive a call, same with Mitrovic. Hoilett has massive injury problems and Oso will be out of season these guys may break the 26 man squad based on merit.

Dias played for us in u23, but I think it is basically the same as the Canadians we have playing youth footy elsewhere.  It was a good experience that was in no way binding - so no real downside and not really an indication (to me) of strong interest towards Canada.  I can’t cite anything specific but I just got the impression that we were just another choice for a guy who is keeping his options open and may not be leaning towards us.  Maybe it wall works out and he suits up - but I suspect it will only happen if/when he isn’t good enough for Portugal.