Enes Sali

Dominic94

2 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Interestingly it’s only the father. His mother wants him to play for Canada. 

The dad must have spent a good part of the late-80s and '90s wanking over Hagi. I'm not even Romanian, and I'll admit to getting it out watching some of his play at USA '94.

3 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

The dad must have spent a good part of the late-80s and '90s wanking over Hagi. I'm not even Romanian, and I'll admit to getting it out watching some of his play at USA '94.

Its been a long time...this is what Hagi looked like eh??  

s-l400.jpg

Turkish person born and raised in Romania loves the country he is born and raised in. That same person doesn't seem to have any thought as to whether their son, born and raised in Canada, has any feelings for Canada. Canada to Enes is like Romania to the father, and the father doesn't seem to realize it. Maybe Enes wants to play for Romania, but it sounds like his father has never even asked what his kid thinks.

Full disclosure, I haven't been reading the articles, I'm going off of what people here are saying about the articles.

See ya! Let's move on to the next one folks. The one who wants to play for Canada. Plenty of talented kids that we can
put money into developing and who want to wear the red and white now. time to get over these types of situations. What's cringey is people constantly talking about the chances of a fence sitter - who cares?! Let the parents decide for him. Let him play for Romania - move on. Spend time on the positives - for committed Canadian players that want to develop for the chance of playing with Canada!

1 hour ago, hodgkiss said:

See ya! Let's move on to the next one folks. The one who wants to play for Canada. Plenty of talented kids that we can
put money into developing and who want to wear the red and white now. time to get over these types of situations. What's cringey is people constantly talking about the chances of a fence sitter - who cares?! Let the parents decide for him. Let him play for Romania - move on. Spend time on the positives - for committed Canadian players that want to develop for the chance of playing with Canada!

I agree 100%.

I think for some people it's just this perception of "Did Canada even try to keep (insert player here)" which then leads to the thought of that we don't really have a youth program which could in theory help with player retention.

But how can it be a perception of canda didnt even try.  We know that Herdman has been cold calling people we didnt even know were eligible for over three years.  Even when stone walled by their team.  Surely he has tried to keep some of the teenagers we have coming down the pipe with real connections to canada??  

47 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

But how can it be a perception of canda didnt even try.  We know that Herdman has been cold calling people we didnt even know were eligible for over three years.  Even when stone walled by their team.  Surely he has tried to keep some of the teenagers we have coming down the pipe with real connections to canada??  

Well for some seeing is believing. If they don't hear it from someone (IE a journo asking Herdman and co about someone like Sali) they then default to "CSA didn't try." AFAIK no one on the CSA end has said anything about Enes Sali as of right now.

Personally I think Sali is a unique case because the greatest legend in Romanian football Gheorge Hagi seemed to take a vested interest in him and sunk his claws into his football pathway and family life. It's not as simple as Sali was simply getting some playing time and Romania was giving him youth caps. 

Edited by VinceA

" One of the reasons why he is here is to secure him for Romania, but he is not the only one. We tried to gather more information during this period. We took the time back a bit and we wanted to see if the rest of the players had, at the age of 15, the impact that Sali had on Romanian football." 

Quote from the Romania coach (November 10) - google translate

https://www.digisport.ro/fotbal/echipa-nationala/mirel-radoi-a-fost-sincer-cand-a-vorbit-despre-convocarea-lui-enes-sali-este-totusi-un-copil-1362891

It is very likely he will play against Liechtenstein.

18 hours ago, hodgkiss said:

To be fair in his case it’s hard to get mad at him if there is internal pressure from his dad and Hagi. Maybe he does want to play for them over us, but for all we know it could be a 15 year old basically having no say in the matter. 

14 hours ago, VinceA said:

Well for some seeing is believing. If they don't hear it from someone (IE a journo asking Herdman and co about someone like Sali) they then default to "CSA didn't try." AFAIK no one on the CSA end has said anything about Enes Sali as of right now.

I need to speak to the "they" referred to here.  No one should have that as a default after hearing about the Ike Ugbo story.

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

Oh man I hope Iceland beats them

Not on the bench either:

https://www.uefa.com/european-qualifiers/match/2030970--romania-vs-iceland/lineups/?iv=true

( Romania had called more than 23 players to camp )

If Iceland can get a win ( or even a draw ) things could get very interesting. ;)

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

5 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Not on the bench either:

https://www.uefa.com/european-qualifiers/match/2030970--romania-vs-iceland/lineups/?iv=true

( Romania had called more than 23 players to camp )

If Iceland can get a win ( or even a draw ) things could get very interesting. ;)

I wonder why they didn't stick him on the bench to bring him on for 5 minutes.

Yeah, it is pretty telling that he isn’t good enough for the team when they are facing a tough opponent, but they are willing to tie him down against a minnow.  

It is what it is I guess, but it is frustrating as a Canadian fan to see a kid my son’s age (in grade 10) being manipulated like this.   Crazy.  

If North Macedonia can get a win (at home) against Iceland it's all over for Romania. The odds are VERY much not in Romania's favour now.

Sali should request to join the U21 squad for their friendly match in Italy:

https://www.frf.ro/recomandate/u21-ita_rou/

Or the U20 squad for their friendly:

https://www.frf.ro/recomandate/u20-modificari-in-lotul-romaniei-in-noiembrie-jucam-cu-polonia-si-italia/

Or the U19 squad for their competitive qualification matches in Turkey:

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_UEFA_European_Under-19_Championship_qualification

Just not the senior side! :(

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

If North Macedonia can get a win (at home) against Iceland it's all over for Romania. The odds are VERY much not in Romania's favour now.

Sali should request to join the U21 squad for their friendly match in Italy:

https://www.frf.ro/recomandate/u21-ita_rou/

Or the U20 squad for their friendly:

https://www.frf.ro/recomandate/u20-modificari-in-lotul-romaniei-in-noiembrie-jucam-cu-polonia-si-italia/

Or the U19 squad for their competitive qualification matches in Turkey:

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_UEFA_European_Under-19_Championship_qualification

Just not the senior side! :(

Romania were all over Iceland but couldn’t finish, and Iceland were parking there bus with 8 players in the box most of the time. Hagi hit the post from outside the box, Maxim had a backheel in the air heading in saved, and some great combinations. Romania lacks a good striker though and had a couple key attackers missing as well.

Iceland could frustrate North Macedonia the same way on Sunday, but I doubt it. Looks like another wasted qualification for Romania, some bad luck, but mainly self-made after a poor start to the campaign when things were even more hectic

There are plenty of talented young players who want to play for Canada, we can’t keep thinking about Tomori (incredible as he is for Milan) or a 15yo kid whos not been tied down yet

He’ll surely get minutes against Liechtenstein. And by his own words and the Hagi situation, it seems extremely unlikely now he’d switch. WC 22 was kind of a write off at this point anyway, the transition / new generation will be better prepared for Euro 2024 & beyond

Let’s focus on positives, like Corbeanu who’s killing it on loan at Sheffield Wednesday, Ugbo, and hopefully Jebbison, Flores, Dias, etc

Edited by Filip

Seems kinda stupid on his point to allow himself to be cap tied to Romania against Liechtenstein at this stage but if that is what his Dad wants, i guess that is what they will get.  I just dont understand the need to rush this from the family's side.  He is 15 and has many years ahead of him to make this decision.  Why cap tie yourself to one team when he has 3 options, all of which have their strengths and weaknesses.   Anyway, it is what it is.