Enes Sali

Dominic94

Could it not be he wants to play for Romania and feels more Romanian that Canadian? That is ok, at least in my opinion. We happily welcomed Ugbo in without the blinking of an eye. Sali is completely wrong with his choice of course 😛 

I am sure as a national team setup they have told him they are looking to build the future around him and he will be the figurehead of the program for years to come etc. Hope the pressure doesn't break him. 

If he wanted to play for Canada or was in someway torn between the two I can get some of the comments but in parallel with Drogba and Tabla this one went the other way for whatever reason, most point to the first comment that he just felt more Romanian. He clearly hasn't done it to hop on a "better bus", fair play to him and good luck, we move on. 

The 3 year wait is only for competitive matches, not friendlies right. Romania now has no competitive matches until March 2023 when Euro qualifying begins. That's about half the wait right there. Limits the time for them to get him his three competitives

Edit: Never mind, I completely forgot about Nations League. Those count as competitive matches right?

Edited by rydermike

25 minutes ago, rydermike said:

The 3 year wait is only for competitive matches, not friendlies right. Romania now has no competitive matches until March 2023 when Euro qualifying begins. That's about half the wait right there. Limits the time for them to get him his three competitives

Edit: Never mind, I completely forgot about Nations League. Those count as competitive matches right?

Yeah Nations League are considered official matches 

4 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Honestly this was such a cynical and obvious captie that I'm not even angry. Just flabbergasted that this even is a possibility. 8 minutes at a 15 year old sets you back for years On! So rediculous. At least we can't blame the CSA for this.

As a side note.  Despite the 2-0 win over over Liechtenstein (one of the smallest minnows),  Romania is eliminated.  Germany wins the group, North Macedonia finishes 2nd and goes to the playoff.  

3 hours ago, king1010 said:

Romania u20 getting pumped by italy u20. 4-0 in the first half. 

edit. 5-0

Embarrassing but meaningless game, U20 team is purely experimental. The best U20 players right now are with U19s for their Euro qualifiers and the U21s (couple Serie A players included), this team even started two 17yos (Eduard Radaslavescu and Robert Salceanu)

The team’s captain and key midfielder from the first few games was benched the whole game (Grameni) as was Baiaram who scored winner against Portugal U20.  The CB pairing also included a LB/DM.. just a combination of bad attitudes, inexperience, off day, and many missing players. The future is still bright, believe me

Edited by Filip

Enes Sali, speaking fluent Romanian in the interview:

“I feel very good, it’s an honour for me to make my debut in this shirt, I have been dreaming about it since I was little and I can say that it is a dream come true. I chose Romania because it was the best decision and I am happy.

I want to play for Romania for as long as possible. I knew I was in the squad, but I didn't know if I would play. Honestly, I had some emotions, but when I came on the pitch, I didn’t have any. I felt very good, the boys treated me very well, it's nice.

It's sad in the locker room, unfortunately, we didn't qualify for the playoffs, but we have to keep our heads up and move on.”

At this point, I think it’s safe to say he’s committed.

https://www.digisport.ro/amphtml/fotbal/echipa-nationala/enes-sali-primele-cuvinte-dupa-ce-a-debutat-la-nationala-la-15-ani-de-ce-a-ales-romania-in-locul-turciei-sau-canadei-1370989

Edited by Filip

It's kind of crazy that it's even possible to cap tie someone at 15. In my opinion, you shouldn't be able to cap tie anyone at all until at least 18. That would get rid of any opportunity of something like this happening again. Not that I'm saying Sali in particular will regret his decision, but I think it's pretty clear that 15 year olds shouldn't be making such a big decision like this yet.

• 4 months later...
On 3/27/2022 at 10:52 PM, VinceA said:

LOL

? Canada qualifying to WC 2022 has no impact on him, he just turned 16 lol

Anyways, Romania just qualified to the U19 Euros as well (only 8 teams go), and will be at their third consecutive U21 Euros next summer. There’s future there too, with a better coach, mentalities, and bit of luck anyway.. last decade is its worst in history and still had some good talents albeit disappointing careers for various reasons. It’s really difficult to qualify from Europe unless you’re an elite side (and even then, look at Italy and Netherlands at recent WCs, or England & France in the 90s), but at least it’s expanding to 16 spots in 2026, so not impossible

Canada is more organized and continuing to invest well (especially at MLS level), no doubt. And Canada probably makes almost, if not every, WC going forward too, given the number of places and relative quality of the other teams (Costa Rica and occasionally Panama right on the edge, though), which I’m definitely not gonna complain about 😅 that’s definitely an appeal to getting more dual national players to stick with us, which is great!

But if this kid feels an attachment to Hagi and Romania, so be it. We don’t even know yet how well he’ll develop, 16 is extremely premature and he has very few minutes in the league now. There will be others too

Edited by Filip

17 hours ago, Filip said:

? Canada qualifying to WC 2022 has no impact on him, he just turned 16 lol

Anyways, Romania just qualified to the U19 Euros as well (only 8 teams go), and will be at their third consecutive U21 Euros next summer. There’s future there too, with a better coach, mentalities, and bit of luck anyway.. last decade is its worst in history and still had some good talents albeit disappointing careers for various reasons. It’s really difficult to qualify from Europe unless you’re an elite side (and even then, look at Italy and Netherlands at recent WCs, or England & France in the 90s), but at least it’s expanding to 16 spots in 2026, so not impossible

Canada is more organized and continuing to invest well (especially at MLS level), no doubt. And Canada probably makes almost, if not every, WC going forward too, given the number of places and relative quality of the other teams (Costa Rica and occasionally Panama right on the edge, though), which I’m definitely not gonna complain about 😅 that’s definitely an appeal to getting more dual national players to stick with us, which is great!

But if this kid feels an attachment to Hagi and Romania, so be it. We don’t even know yet how well he’ll develop, 16 is extremely premature and he has very few minutes in the league now. There will be others too

15 of the 24 countries that qualified for the last Euros have smaller populations that Romania, many significantly so. There were 8 smaller European countries at Russia '18. There will be 8 or 9 European teams in Qatar with smaller populations that Romania. 

I'm not disputing that it's difficult to qualify for a major tournament out of Europe, but there are a lot of countries with worse resources than Romania that do it every two years. 

Edited by SthMelbRed

3 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

15 of the 24 countries that qualified for the last Euros have smaller populations that Romania, many significantly so. There were 8 smaller European countries at Russia '18. There will be 8 or 9 European teams in Qatar with smaller populations that Romania. 

I'm not disputing that it's difficult to qualify for a major tournament out of Europe, but there are a lot of countries with worse resources than Romania that do it every two years. 

Yes but it isn’t just about population, it’s about organization, good coach, chemistry. Romania’s national team in recent years has lacked identity and has been chaotic. Some poor, inexperienced coaches have been appointed by an incompetent federation in which agents still influence some selections (which is part of what made Lazio veteran Stefan Radu quit the NT some years ago, a tough defender who could’ve helped with some qualifications too). 68 or so players were used in the last campaign just to show you how often the team changes, due to injuries and other reasons for absence

Romania has some very technical players who are capable of playing good football but these are some of the issues, along with mentality + lacking a proper striker for years now. But the young generation is showing some promise, there’s no reason to think the next ten years will be as bad as the last decade (again, the worst in history, but still one in which Romania defeated Chile twice, Belgium, Denmark, drew Argentina, Uruguay, etc; showing on the pitch it still possible to compete even amidst these issues)

The reason countries like Serbia continue to produce players who are not only technically gifted/skilled as Romanians, but capable of adapting to the top level of the modern game abroad, has a lot to do with physical and mental aspects. Although even they had dark periods in the last 10-20 years. Nowadays the game demands professional mentality, focus, determination, stamina, strength, etc

There is a Serbian agent who worked in Romania in recent years, Zvonko Milojkovic, who said it; Romanians nowadays treat it like ballet, in ex-Yugoslavian countries it’s like war. It’s mainly a difference in mentality and attitude. Followed by physical preparation from a young age

But I do see some of these aspects changing in some of the younger generation now, slowly, ie Juve’s Radu Dragusin on loan at Salernitana this season has been impressive. Mihaila, Ratiu, Pascanu, Cirjan, Octavian Popescu, we’ll see. Talent has never been the question, but that isn’t enough.. everything Romania’s done wrong in recent years is what Canada does well. And it’s not the technical training.

But definitely have hopes for the next ten years given the work of (mainly) Hagi and some other academies, U21 rule, diaspora, etc. I know we will never see the league on the level it was 2005-2013 (7th best coefficient in Europe at point), but at least enough to produce more well-rounded players who won’t just play well for two seasons in top 5 leagues and then fall off, or get injured every other month.. another Mutu (minus the nonsense) or Chivu needed.

Time will tell if these kids can crack it, or if it will be an average group, but people are always surprised by how technical some of our players are. Lucian Sanmartean for example, best player you’ve never heard of.. worth a YouTube search if you have the time. Just one of many wasted talents of recent years (Ajax’s Nicolae Mitea, Constantin Budescu, Alexandru Maxim, Ianis Zicu, Marius Niculae, among others)

But at least for the time being I also have Canada that has turned things around drastically!

If you read this far, congrats, you deserve a prize 😅

Edited by Filip

Btw on the topic of resources, regardless of the other factors mentioned, the likes of Denmark, Wales, Belgium (who were not better in 2002 when they began their reconstruction from ground up), Switzerland etc have higher GDP per capita, better infrastructure, far better club owners & investment on average compared to Romania. That plays a part too. Only North Macedonia I would say is a smaller country with far fewer resources (maybe Ukraine too GDP-wise, despite their size) that made Euro 2020

Serbia didn’t make that one but now qualified to the WC. Serbia and Croatia should be the model to follow for Balkan countries imo, they develop serious athletes, instead of always talking about being like Ajax or Bayern. But I think it’s partly cultural / generational mindsets too, which can change in time

Edited by Filip

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, masster said:

On the Romania roster for the UEFA Euro U-19 Championship.

On the bench for today's match versus Italy.

On the bench for the U19s but already capped by the senior side. Basically shows how that was a 100% undeserved cap tie move if he's not in the top 11 teenagers, yet was a sub for the all-ages

He also played in almost every match (2nd half of the season) for Farul Constanța which is not too bad for a 16 year old... even if he is on the bench for the U19 national team.

Came on for the final 13 minutes vs Italy.

Edited by Buchta

17 hours ago, rydermike said:

On the bench for the U19s but already capped by the senior side. Basically shows how that was a 100% undeserved cap tie move if he's not in the top 11 teenagers, yet was a sub for the all-ages

Tbh he didn’t even deserve to be on the U19 team right now ahead of some others that were left out

He lost every ball he touched and his IQ still needs a lot of work.. hoping Hagi would work with him on that for next season

He did have a great run at the end though, that’s his advantage, great dribbler

Edited by Filip