Enes Sali

Dominic94

7 hours ago, hodgkiss said:

I just don't understand why we need to convince people to be Canadian. You either are or you aren't. It shouldn't be only by convenience. Sure the guy might be talented and he was obviously developed here in Canada. But if he is Romanian now... he's not Canadian. Next! let's spend our energy on someone who wants to wear the red and white with a maple leaf on their chest.

Have to remember that most of the time it has nothing to do with national pride, sure players will tell you that they want to play for the badge but at the end of the day it's a business.  They will go wherever most benefits them and their careers in the moment.  If Portugal's senior team was realistic for Eustaquio, he probably wouldn't be playing for Canada now.   

I haven't watched a lick of this kid play but making the Romanian national squad at 15 tells me Sali is on track to be another Davies (I know he's an attacking midfield and not a full back). Looks like we lost him. Imagine having another superstar youngster on the national team. You see, when we lose this the kind of player I'm pissed off. He was born and raised in Canada. How the fuck did he slip past the noses of coaches in this country?

On a side but relevant note, in the 90s Hagi was one of my favourite world players. I just loved his play-making abilities. Now, I have to fight myself so I don't curse him on a daily basis.

Edited by Sal333

Sounds ridiculous to cap a 15 year old but you cant really blame Romania. Didn't we cap Phonzie when he was 16?

Of course, Phonzie's other options werent very appealing while we could have offered Sali world cup opportunities. Surprised he accepted this so early but Im sure he was pushed by everyone around him

Romania is second in its current group - one point ahead of North Macedonia and Armenia..but they do have the easiest final two games (home to Iceland & away to Lichentstein).  It's actually set up pretty well for him to get on the pitch - particularly that last match. And then there will be more chances for caps in the next round of qualifying assuming they make it through

Unfortunately for us, he has been immersed in Romanian footy and is being influenced by a Romanian legend.  The writing was on the wall whether we wanted to see it or not.    

I don’t know the ins and outs of the EUFA qualification process but it looks like there is still a lot of work for Romania to do to qualify. It seems like they are one of the less likely teams to make the final cut when the dust settles so the sad part is that all of this could be for nothing.  

Pretty disappointing all around - that Romania would so obviously seek to cap tie him, that he would accept at this age, that we don’t have the luxury of bringing him into the squad yet, etc.  

In theory, the January window could have been in play given the potential absences of Kaye and Oso, but I have no idea whatsoever if this kid is even close to the level of play we are looking at for those games.  Herdman doesn’t seem like the kind of guy who is inclined to bring in a young kid just to secure his future.

All I know is that it is sad to see yet another really talented young prospect slip away - especially in a position where we could definitely use some next gen prospects coming through the pipeline.  

5 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Romania is second in its current group - one point ahead of North Macedonia and Armenia..but they do have the easiest final two games (home to Iceland & away to Lichentstein).  It's actually set up pretty well for him to get on the pitch - particularly that last match. And then there will be more chances for caps in the next round of qualifying assuming they make it through

I guarantee that unless they are fighting for their tournament lives, they will find at least a few garbage minutes to cap him.   This is another case where we will get Tomoried.  

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I guarantee that unless they are fighting for their tournament lives, they will find at least a few garbage minutes to cap him.   This is another case where we will get Tomoried.  

Or maybe we will more accurately describe it as a case of Enes Tealing himself.

Edited by nolando

I’d be surprised if he plays against Iceland unless the game is a blowout already, Liechtenstein could be a different story though. Hopefully he hasn’t agreed to be capped and is just going to the camp to check out the national team. Seems like he’s probably gone though.

2 hours ago, Sal333 said:

I haven't watched a lick of this kid play but making the Romanian national squad at 15 tells me Sali is on track to be another Davies (I know he's an attacking midfield and not a full back). Looks like we lost him. Imagine having another superstar youngster on the national team. You see, when we lose this the kind of player I'm pissed off. He was born and raised in Canada. How the fuck did he slip past the noses of coaches in this country?

On a side but relevant note, in the 90s Hagi was one of my favourite world players. I just loved his play-making abilities. Now, I have to fight myself so I don't curse him on a daily basis.

So do you want us to cap tie him at 15 years old to keep him?  Get a grip.

Just now, Obinna said:

What about the 3 cap then switch rule thing?

Still exists but the earliest he would be eligible to switch is three years from now.

Edited by theaub

4 minutes ago, theaub said:

So do you want us to cap tie him at 15 years old to keep him?  Get a grip.

What's so ridiculous about that? We capped Davies at 16. And this kid is just a few months from turning 16.

But that's not my point. My point is he was born and grew up here. He played ball here. Where were the local coaches? How come Hagi saw him and none of the local coaches could tell he was an exceptional talent?

Edited by Sal333

4 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

What's so ridiculous about that? We capped Davies at 16. And this kid is just a few months from turning 16.

But that's not my point. My point he was born and grew up here. He played ball here. Where were local coaches? How come Hagi saw him and none of the coaches couldn't tell he was an exceptional talent?

He went to Barcelona at 11.  Was he supposed to stay in Woodbridge?  Is the TFC Academy more prestigious?  Do we cap 12 year olds at the U-17 level now?

For all the rightful things to complain about the CSA for, this isn't even remotely close to one of them.  Herdman is a good recruiter, but he's not in the same galaxy as Hagi for obvious reasons.

Edited by theaub

2 hours ago, Floortom said:

Sounds ridiculous to cap a 15 year old but you cant really blame Romania. Didn't we cap Phonzie when he was 16?

Davies was 16 yes but he also won the Gold Cup Golden boot he was clearly good enough for us. This is a scummy move and it'd be a shame to lose him for a WCQ callup when we are far more likely to make it to subsequent World Cups.

Just now, theaub said:

He went to Barcelona at 11.  Was he supposed to stay in Woodbridge?  Is the TFC Academy more prestigious?  Do we cap 12 year olds at the U-17 level now?

For all the rightful things to complain about the CSA for, this isn't even remotely close to one of them.

If there was some sort of organization Sali would have shown up on the radar and CSA would have been in from the get go. Hagi saw the potential in this kid at a very young age why didn't our people?

2 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

Davies was 16 yes but he also won the Gold Cup Golden boot he was clearly good enough for us. This is a scummy move and it'd be a shame to lose him for a WCQ callup when we are far more likely to make it to subsequent World Cups.

You're putting the cart before the horse. Davies won the golden boot only after he was named to the NT. If Davies wasn't named to the NT he would have won didley squat.

And I don't think it's a scummy move. Romania saw an exceptional talent and pounced. I give them credit. 

5 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

If there was some sort of organization Sali would have shown up on the radar and CSA would have been in from the get go. Hagi saw the potential in this kid at a very young age why didn't our people?

This is a CSA youth program funding issue, not a CSA scouting issue.  I don't think we've had a U-18 or under camp since COVID started.

Edited by theaub