Enes Sali

Dominic94

I know the horse has long bolted from the stable, but it still annoys me that we just accept the fact that decisions about representing a country in football is the same as deciding which team to sign with on transfer deadline day.  What option is best at advancing a career, how to strategically use a one-time (or eventually two, three, four, five-time??) switch to move to a bigger and better club, etc.  The narrowing of the gap between club and international football is frustrating to me.

5 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

If North Macedonia can get a win (at home) against Iceland it's all over for Romania. The odds are VERY much not in Romania's favour now.

I didn't realize Macedonia is a win away from the world cup, my dream of Pandev (who should unretire) vs Atiba may come true 🇲🇰🇲🇰🇲🇰🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦

2 hours ago, Bdog said:

I didn't realize Macedonia is a win away from the world cup, my dream of Pandev (who should unretire) vs Atiba may come true 🇲🇰🇲🇰🇲🇰🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦

They need to win the last match against Iceland.  Making the playoffs would be a great result for Macedonia.

13 hours ago, An Observer said:

Seems kinda stupid on his point to allow himself to be cap tied to Romania against Liechtenstein at this stage but if that is what his Dad wants, i guess that is what they will get.  I just dont understand the need to rush this from the family's side.  He is 15 and has many years ahead of him to make this decision.  Why cap tie yourself to one team when he has 3 options, all of which have their strengths and weaknesses.   Anyway, it is what it is.

If the dream is to play for Romania, it's not stupid at all. I was never good enough to play for any national team, and only ever eligible for Canada, but my dream was to play for Canada and if I was given that opportunity before I was actually good enough to play for Canada, I would have absolutely taken it. For all we know this Enes guy might not ever have another chance at a senior cap. He might be like that Juventus youth goalkeeper that played a game for us one time that was supposed to be the future. I can't even come up with his name close enough to find him on google at the moment.

13 hours ago, An Observer said:

Seems kinda stupid on his point to allow himself to be cap tied to Romania against Liechtenstein at this stage but if that is what his Dad wants, i guess that is what they will get.  I just dont understand the need to rush this from the family's side.  He is 15 and has many years ahead of him to make this decision.  Why cap tie yourself to one team when he has 3 options, all of which have their strengths and weaknesses.   Anyway, it is what it is.

He would still need another 3 appearances, I think, with the new rule. So still far from cap tied since the next international break for Europe is in March, I’m pretty sure 

and honestly, maybe it’s just how he grew up or the Hagi effect, but he seems pretty happy about it from his words and facial expressions

Edited by Filip

On 11/9/2021 at 8:42 PM, Corazon said:

The strangest part of this is that both parents are Turkish blood and only Romanian through living there.  I lived in the US for several years and if I ever moved to a 3rd country where I raised kids, I could tell you that USA would be the last country I would ever want my children to play for.  It would be one of either, my adopted homeland or my home country Canada (In my case, its always going to be Canada first).  This clearly stinks of Romania & Hagi pulling the strings.  It just doesn't make sense aside from Hagi and Romania starting his club career.

Now that I think about it though.  This literally just happened with Ike Ugbo.  However, Ike knew he was never going to breakthrough at England and caps would be very difficult to come by with Nigeria as an attacker.

There’s a small minority of ethnic Turks in Romania, quite sure his parents are from that community. So not immigrants or foreigners. 

13 minutes ago, Filip said:

He would still need another 3 appearances, I think, with the new rule. So still far from cap tied since the next international break for Europe is in March, I’m pretty sure 

and honestly, maybe it’s just how he grew up or the Hagi effect, but he seems pretty happy about it from his words and facial expressions

If he gets capped we will have to wait a period of time before he is eligible, like tomori (late 2022 before his last cap, now 2024?). It would likely put other nations off calling him as they couldn't play him for 3 years and putting stock in someone that could just accept another Romania cap in the meantime would be a gamble too far. If he gets capped he is likely gone. The only reason he might be available again down the line would likely mean he hasn't fulfilled potential.

Could definitely see him being there for experience though with a promise of not capping unless he wanted. They could have just had a taxi squad though if they had no intention of capping.

@An Observer I agree on his options and age. That said if he commits to Romania and is proud to do so, I can't fault that. Its what lots of people argue about here. Keeping options open is a modern game tactic to leverage the best financial and career potential possible. Footballers that proudly nail their international colours to the mast are rare. If he felt Canadian and did the same we would be celebrating. Good luck to the lad either way.

42 minutes ago, BigMo said:

There’s a small minority of ethnic Turks in Romania, quite sure his parents are from that community. So not immigrants or foreigners. 

Thanks.  That would make more sense.  I read that the parents had met in Romania and I mistook it that they both met while temporarily living in Turkey.  

1 hour ago, Kent said:

If the dream is to play for Romania, it's not stupid at all. I was never good enough to play for any national team, and only ever eligible for Canada, but my dream was to play for Canada and if I was given that opportunity before I was actually good enough to play for Canada, I would have absolutely taken it. For all we know this Enes guy might not ever have another chance at a senior cap. He might be like that Juventus youth goalkeeper that played a game for us one time that was supposed to be the future. I can't even come up with his name close enough to find him on google at the moment.

I think you're trying to come up with Alessandro Busti.

The funny thing is that there are rumors linking him to Galatasaray, this definitely feels a situation where Romania is desperately trying to keep control for the foreseeable future at least. The Turkish federation is supposedly after Sali as well, this story may not be over...

Sali ( # 16 ) is listed as on the bench in the official UEFA lineup not listed in the version on Google. Strange.

Iceland had tied it up but now North Macedonia is back in the lead.

EDIT:

Romania has only managed a single goal against tiny Liechtenstein and have used up four out of five subs so far.

🤞

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille