Mo Farsi

Reign

In terms of level of play and career progression, I think this move makes sense. Can PL grads aren’t tearing it up outside the league just yet. The step up to MLS is probably significant and this is a foot in the door. Low risk for both clubs. Like when an upper tier club snaps up a lower tier talent and they start that player off in the reserves or B squad.

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The issue might be having only 8 international roster spots on the senior roster but their Next Pro team now having space for 7 more imports could be a place to park players that are viewed as a bit of a project rather than someone who can contribute straight away while they potentially sort a green card:

https://www.dirtysouthsoccer.com/2018/3/1/17066212/mls-green-cards-immigration-process

There’s no way he’s considered an international.  His first and only professional club was in Canada. 

(if he is, this is another point to “taking control of our future”) 

We'll see what happens but my understanding is that only applies to homegrown players that sign their first pro contract with an MLS franchise or its USL affiliate and that the player has to have been in an MLS academy or a CSA approved youth club when aged 16.

https://mlsmultiplex.com/2016/12/02/changes-coming-domestic-status-canadians-mls/

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, VinceA said:

If anyone is wondering why Columbus haven't announced his signing to Crew 2 yet apparently all the MLS teams were told to not announce any signings (same with Dallas and Pa Modou Kah) because roster rules haven't been finalized. 

Dallas announced PMK

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

I believe I read somewhere that him and JRR will need to be signed to first team contracts if Columbus want to play them in another game. 

Well regardless the contracts were coming anyways, they’re clearly high on both.

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Gamble to leave Cavalry and CPL has seemed to pay off! Way to go, Farsi!

I've seen a couple people say this.  How was it a gamble?? How can you get a better audition for the coach than playing and training in front of him every day with the farm team??  Perfect spot to move up to the big club.  From the start he was one of the guys who looked too good for this league and now he has made the jump.  Maybe the next young CPL standout wont have to have to take the farm club route and can jump right to an american MLS club.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

I've seen a couple people say this.  How was it a gamble?? How can you get a better audition for the coach than playing and training in front of him every day with the farm team??  Perfect spot to move up to the big club.  From the start he was one of the guys who looked too good for this league and now he has made the jump.  Maybe the next young CPL standout wont have to have to take the farm club route and can jump right to an american MLS club.  

He left first team minutes with Cavalry to pursue that opportunity, so it was a gamble in the general sense, since joining the reserves didn't him guarantee a first team chance. That said, it was hardly a gamble for Farsi specifically because of how good he is. Like you say, he very much stood out in the CPL, so it's no surprised he proved his worth and earned the first team contract, if that makes sense...