Mo Farsi

Reign

2 hours ago, ted said:

The reality of the situation is that they are going to have to do it if they want to be a viable player in the transfer market. If they don't then they are shooting themselves in the foot in terms of league-wide economic stability. If teams at this level cannot "sell-on" players, the league will have a hard time surviving. 

I worry that if the league is relying on transfer income to survive then we're doomed. Looking at comparable leagues around the world, I don't think sales are particularly common at all at this level. USLC for example has a combined total of approximately $2000 per club in incoming transfers over the last 3 seasons combined

Edited by Aird25

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I worry that if the league is relying on transfer income to survive then we're doomed. Looking at comparable leagues around the world, I don't think sales are particularly common at all at this level. USLC for example has a combined total of approximately $2000 per club in incoming transfers over the last 3 seasons combined

I dream of the league being a real Canadian D1 league propped up initially by the 3 MLS teams coming to the CPL.
I think it's hard to legitimize the CPL to fans, international clubs and it's players without the major clubs having a significant play in the league (not just Voyaguers Cup). 

Other than TFC (and solely because it's the market), the other teams get washed out/forgotten in the universe that is MLS.

I don't understand when people say that it will be bad for that to happen, when a lot of our CMNT products were bred in playing in Canada. 

I went on a tangent...

6 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I think the league is progressing. You put 2000+ people in the stands with pretty low over head every game, its not nothing...

2000 as an average paid attendance skewing heavily towards the cheaper seats is probably a recipe for high 6 figure or low 7 figure annual financial losses as the league is currently configured. Given that backdrop and the very low salaries it leads to, players like Mo Farsi are going to move on when they can to try to earn some decent coin in the few years they have available to do that. In the era of Bosman free transfers throughout FIFA it's a lot more difficult for smaller clubs to make money off player transfers than it used to be. Better not to dream and deal with the world as it really is.

Yeah, he comes in and becomes one of the most promising players in the league, what would be his motivation to sign for let's say 5 more years at poverty level wages?

Absolutely it would be great for teams to make some side money off of transfers, but this early on even if there is no money coming into the league for it, if players go to other leagues and perform well, that is good for the league. We are still in the reputation building stage of this league. Players as well as teams from other leagues need to know that the teams and players in the CPL are good.

Think of the next Jonathan David. He didn't want to sign with an MLS team because he didn't think they could do what he needed for his game. CPL needs to show young players of a similar mindset that they can develop into great players with help from the CPL. Play well, and move on to the next level. Teams outside of the CPL need to see that there is value in players from the CPL. If they see that Farsi does well after leaving, and let's say a couple other players do well also, maybe it's worth it to them to pay a $50,000 fee for a player that is doing well in the CPL in order to get the jump on teams that are waiting for the player to be available on a free transfer. Maybe the next player goes for $75,000. Etc.

Wherever Farsi ends up, I hope he proves his worth to give the league a better reputation.

For CPL level players you don't get transfers, clubs just pick guys up on a free. 

I'd say only if you had an obvious superstar, and young, you'd get a bite. Say Terran Campbell had scored 20+, maybe there'd be something. 

If I were younger signing in CPL I'd try to keep the contract short-ish (two years) precisely to keep options for a free transfer open. 

I'll accept this may change within 3-4 years. 

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

For CPL level players you don't get transfers, clubs just pick guys up on a free. 

I'd say only if you had an obvious superstar, and young, you'd get a bite. Say Terran Campbell had scored 20+, maybe there'd be something. 

If I were younger signing in CPL I'd try to keep the contract short-ish (two years) precisely to keep options for a free transfer open. 

I'll accept this may change within 3-4 years. 

Except Waterman and Borges were bought. Those two for sure but I also think Attardo and Estevez may have been sold.

35 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Except Waterman and Borges were bought. Those two for sure but I also think Attardo and Estevez may have been sold.

According to Transfermarkt Borges ($220,000) and Waterman (S100,000) brought $320,000 to the league (not sure how accurate their #s are, though I think the $100,000 for Waterman was confirmed).   Not bad for a 1st year league.  Last year just doesn't count.

The next 2 years will be more telling, I think we see a few sales, I think Abzi should garner interest and York United recently extended the contracts of their top youth players.

5 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

None of the fees involved were particularly large when compared to a CanPL team's overall annual budget. Borges and Estevez were complete busts for the clubs that bought them unfortunately, which won't have done much for the league's reputation. By last winter players like Ongaro and Zator were having to go on extended trials.

The Cavalry will get no transfer fee for Farsi because he is on a Bosman free transfer after contract expiry. As Unnamed Trialist describes players with ambitions elsewhere will likely only agree to short contracts so they can try to secure larger signing bonuses for themselves in the absence of a transfer fee. 

6 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

None of the fees involved were particularly large when compared to a CanPL team's overall annual budget. Borges and Estevez were complete busts for the clubs that bought them unfortunately, which won't have done much for the league's reputation. By last winter players like Ongaro and Zator were having to go on extended trials.

The Cavalry will get no transfer fee for Farsi because he is on a Bosman free transfer after contract expiry. As Unnamed Trialist describes players with ambitions elsewhere will likely only agree to short contracts so they can try to secure larger signing bonuses for themselves in the absence of a transfer fee. 

Estevez was a bust for sure but Borges suffered from a coaching change and a coach who took one look at him and was like lol no thanks.

8 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

According to Transfermarkt Borges ($220,000) and Waterman (S100,000) brought $320,000 to the league (not sure how accurate their #s are, though I think the $100,000 for Waterman was confirmed).   Not bad for a 1st year league.  Last year just doesn't count.

Bringing in 100-200k when your teams yearly salary is under a million isnt too bad.  Put into CDN MLS terms, that would be like them getting 2-3 million... thats nothing to sneeze at.  I would bet that Montreal would go back to the well again, as they seem to have got a good player in Waterman.  

6 hours ago, VinceA said:

Estevez was a bust for sure but Borges suffered from a coaching change and a coach who took one look at him and was like lol no thanks.

I think not getting any playing time counts as a bust of a signing, unfortunately for Borges and CPL.

12 hours ago, Kent said:

I think not getting any playing time counts as a bust of a signing, unfortunately for Borges and CPL.

I suppose so. As a York fan I just remember laughing because we totally fleeced ADO Den Haag for Estevez. The guy at best was a late sub kind of player for York and not ready at all for any league in Europe.

44 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I suppose so. As a York fan I just remember laughing because we totally fleeced ADO Den Haag for Estevez. The guy at best was a late sub kind of player for York and not ready at all for any league in Europe.

IIRC he was only bought by ADO Den Haag because they had/have a Taiwanese owner and he was a Taiwanese international.