Mo Farsi

Reign

“ A native of Montréal, Quebec, Farsi first began to be noticed as a “player to watch” at 14 years old while playing Notre-Dame-de-Grâce AAA. He started playing in Quebec’s Semi-Pro La Première ligue de soccer du Québec (PLSQ) league at 17 years of age prior to switching to A.S. Blainville. In 2019, Farsi as part of A.S. Blainville took part in the first round of the Canadian Championships facing off against newly formed Canadian Premier League team York 9 FC, where he caught the attention of the Cavalry coaching staff.

Prior to committing to Cavalry FC of the CPL, Farsi had also had an offer to play professionally in Algeria.

Farsi has represented Canada at Futsal – and in 2019 he was named Ballon d’Or (for best futsal player) of the province by Soccer Québec. “ canpl.ca 

This kid needs his own thread. He has been an electric player for Cavalry FC this season. He can play as a wingback or winger. I heard he also has played some CM in PLSQ. He has explosive speed, great dribbling, and an incredible work ethic. In my opinion this guy has been not only one the best u21 in the cpl this season, but one of the best players in the league. At 20 he could definitely end up moving to a higher level one day. 

I was at the game yesterday and he immediately injected a huge amount of energy.  The goal was a beauty but he also has other plays where he was threatening.  I am liking what I have seen so far.    

And for the record, the sound he made smashing into the far post on the goal was pretty impressive.   I thought the net was going to move.   

55 minutes ago, Obinna said:

We suddenly seem to have a lot of U-23 right backs....Brault-Guillard, Johnston, Chung, Farsi.

but the question is.....which one of them can compete with Godinho?

Okay....i'll see myself out.

I think all the Godinho hate is getting out of control:

Mo Farsi - 1999 - 7 professional appearances
Alistair Johnston- 1998 - 7 professional appearances
Zach Brault-Guillard - 1998 - 9 professional appearances
Kadin Chung - 1998 - 38 professional appearances
Marcus Godinho - 1997 - 55 professional appearances

Don't dismiss a player based on one bad game.  Also, might want to have a significant sample size before anointing the "next one".

3 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Don't dismiss a player based on one bad game.  Also, might want to have a significant sample size before anointing the "next one".

ZBG has more than 9 professional appearances but still less than Godinho.

58 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Sure Godinho has more professional appearances than a lot of the other guys but 13 were in the Scottish League 2 which I don't think is even a professional league and 25 were in the German 3 division for Zwickau who were nearly relegated and Godinho wasn't impressive in the slightest from what I saw of him at Zwickau. ZBG has played 22 games all of which are at a higher level than Godinho and ZBG has looked quite good in those games. Godinho is definitely ahead of guys like Farsi and Chung for the NT RB spot but not ZBG and maybe Johnston.

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

I was just joking around. I mentioned in another thread the other day how we shouldn't write him off. He has some good qualities, especially going forward. He just needs to find some consistency. In all seriousness he should very much be in the mix for the Olympic team. It will be interesting to see who will miss out from that group of 5.  

40 minutes ago, Nate3322 said:

Sure Godinho has more professional appearances than a lot of the other guys but 13 were in the Scottish League 2 which I don't think is even a professional league and 25 were in the German 3 division for Zwickau who were nearly relegated and Godinho wasn't impressive in the slightest from what I saw of him at Zwickau. ZBG has played 22 games all of which are at a higher level than Godinho and ZBG has looked quite good in those games. Godinho is definitely ahead of guys like Farsi and Chung for the NT RB spot but not ZBG and maybe Johnston.

Out of all of these guys my money is on ZBG as the starter. After that I wouldn't be surprised if any of the remaining 4 were the back up.

Johnston from what I have seen would be my choice all things being equal. The fact he can play further forward is valuable and same goes for Farsi. If you had to force me into choosing 3 I would select those 3 guys, with the expectation that Johnston and Farsi would be options at winger.

That said, it is hard to discount Godinho considering his experience. He has had his ups and downs, but he is more experienced and that would/should count for something. At the same time, I think you have to look at what those players are doing in the here and now. Right now Johnston and Farsi are playing very well. Chung deserves mention here too, but I really don't think we will pick all of these players for the Olympic team.

cant forget that mls and 3. liga is a much higher level than cpl..chung for example was a couple years ago a backup in the fifth tier of germany..has he improved since then..maybe..but would he have a spot on a 3. liga team today or be a starter..very hard to say yes..farsi playing very well..would it be the same at mls level..dont know we'll see

2 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Is USL not considered professional?

5 hours ago, An Observer said:

It would be great if we had 5 similar options on the left as well so that at least 1 of them can develop to be a reliable starter for the national team and then we dont have start Davies there.

Sam Adekugbe
Zorhan Bassong ( yes he doesn’t have a club now, but the talent is there.  He was amazing vs Iceland and Barbados) 

Diyaeddine Abzi

Terique Mohammed

Ashtone Morgan

*Cristián Gutiérrez - I think he’ll switch. 

13 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Sam Adekugbe
Zorhan Bassong ( yes he doesn’t have a club now, but the talent is there.  He was amazing vs Iceland and Barbados) 

Diyaeddine Abzi

Terique Mohammed

Ashtone Morgan

It doesn't strike me that those are the same overall quality as the players at RB where we have 3 starters in the MLS, one in Germany 3, and a couple in CPL who have stood out much more than those you listed in LB from the CPL.  There you have one started in the Norway 1, one unattached, two so-so CPL'rs; a washed up MLS'er and a sometimes starter in the MLS who hasnt actually committed yet.

6 hours ago, An Observer said:

It doesn't strike me that those are the same overall quality as the players at RB where we have 3 starters in the MLS, one in Germany 3, and a couple in CPL who have stood out much more than those you listed in LB from the CPL.  There you have one started in the Norway 1, one unattached, two so-so CPL'rs; a washed up MLS'er and a sometimes starter in the MLS who hasnt actually committed yet.

I get what your saying. Bassong has talent, the Iceland game proved that. He would be the best LB in the CPL and it’s crazy that a MLS team hasn’t picked him up ( could be looking to stay in Europe). Morgan to me is an interesting debate because I can see why people say he’s washed up but if there was another Canadian MLS team I bet you would see him on it as a backup. He was so good vs those mexican club teams when TFC went on that run. To me he’s a solid backup player/ when Canada plays mid/low level teams. Someone could make a case that Norway 1 and German 3 is very even in level of play. Gutiérrez is a weird spot, he’s look good in the games he played but with Adnan there he’s not gonna get the mins. Also again I think he’ll switch, he’s just a matter of time. The CPL players they’re SO-SO but young. 

This is kinda why I hate the CPL. It’s amazing and Canada should have a pro league. But it’s really hard to Judge the players. Because the cap is so low and teams are forced to play U21. In my view the CPL has an identity crisis. It says it wants to be top tier but a league for young players. Well In my view you can’t do both. I love what Terry said on One Nation. I would love to see Farsi vs better players. 

Edited by SpecialK

6 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Sam Adekugbe

Diyaeddine Abzi

Terique Mohammed

Ashtone Morgan

davies

laryea

sam

bassong

gutierrez*

could see shaffleburg becoming a leftback for TFC soon. his last appearance was actually as a LB.