Mo Farsi

Reign

11 hours ago, Cblake said:

Remember when a lot of us thought he was nut for signing with a reserve team over staying in CPL? it is becoming obvious that MLS Next Pro is a clear path ...

Does signing with a Next Pro team impact his status as a domestic league wide?   He spent very little time at that level before jumping to an MLS contract so I am curious if using Next Pro as an intermediary step has other benefits.  

Either way, while this does show the pathway from NP to MLS, for me it says more about CPL as a pathway.   These sorts of developments show the value of CPL as a showcase for young talent.   

6 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Does signing with a Next Pro team impact his status as a domestic league wide?   He spent very little time at that level before jumping to an MLS contract so I am curious if using Next Pro as an intermediary step has other benefits.  

Either way, while this does show the pathway from NP to MLS, for me it says more about CPL as a pathway.   These sorts of developments show the value of CPL as a showcase for young talent.   

Sure the MS farm club was part of his journey to get to MLS, the last part.  But PLQQ and CPL were the guys who brought him along, Next pro or USL etc wasnt scouring Quebec and futsal for teenage prospects.   NCAA knocked on the door, and for years MLS and their academies have opened it another crack, so now the regional D-3 and CPL can push that door wide open.  We know that there are plenty of kids who never get noticed, never even get a sniff at an MLS academy.  And I dont think its a coincedence that it the Crew bringing on CDN kids, BEZ was here for years and he saw the talent, he still has an eye north of the border.  The more coaches, gm's, teams in canada we can get the better and easier it'll be for the next kid coming out of Quebec..or Man/Sask.

On 7/25/2022 at 9:39 AM, solsous said:

Very impressive showing for the youngster!!

I wonder if Johnston ends up being more of a RCB option for Herdman does he pencil in Farsi as a potential back-up to Laryea especially if JMR continues to be meh for Toronto in his current role.

38 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I wonder if Johnston ends up being more of a RCB option for Herdman does he pencil in Farsi as a potential back-up to Laryea especially if JMR continues to be meh for Toronto in his current role.

I'm continually surprised that Chung hasn't been used more to stem the flow of goals against for Toronto. He may not offer a ton on the dribble but he was always reliable defending and in possession for Pacific. Yet Toronto has only given him two starts in his preferred position.

On 7/26/2022 at 3:03 PM, VinceA said:

I think if we’re playing 5 at the back, Buchanan and Laryea will get all the minutes at RWB (assuming Johnston at RCB). 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Farsi is the kind of guy who can squeeze onto the Gold Cup roster. Johnston will possibly need a rest after playing a season and a half of club soccer (and a World Cup). Lareya may or may not be available depending on what the situation is at Forest. On the left (if he projects there), Adekugbe, Davies and Abzi are all European based, obviously. His domestic competition at wingback/fullback would arguably be Gutierrez and ZBG. No reason why he cannot challenge both with a strong season at Columbus. 

17 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Farsi is the kind of guy who can squeeze onto the Gold Cup roster. Johnston will possibly need a rest after playing a season and a half of club soccer (and a World Cup). Lareya may or may not be available depending on what the situation is at Forest. On the left (if he projects there), Adekugbe, Davies and Abzi are all European based, obviously. His domestic competition at wingback/fullback would arguably be Gutierrez and ZBG. No reason why he cannot challenge both with a strong season at Columbus. 

Surely we should judge some of these players on their performances. I hope that's how NT selections are made

Both sides are deep and it’ll be a challenge for any player trying to breakthrough. I’d say both sides are locked in and it’s going to either take injuries or some unbelievable form to change that before the summer. 

Our right side is crazy deep with Johnston, Laryea, Buchanan, Hoilett as the clear favourites and there’s really no room for anyone beyond that if they’re all available. If they aren’t then it seems that ZBG has been their substitute for the past 2 years. Ali Ahmed is another player who is supposed to be good then of course there’s the JMR possibility too and M.Choiniere may be capable there as well. 

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Both sides are deep and it’ll be a challenge for any player trying to breakthrough. I’d say both sides are locked in and it’s going to either take injuries or some unbelievable form to change that before the summer. 

Our right side is crazy deep with Johnston, Laryea, Buchanan, Hoilett as the clear favourites and there’s really no room for anyone beyond that if they’re all available. If they aren’t then it seems that ZBG has been their substitute for the past 2 years. Ali Ahmed is another player who is supposed to be good then of course there’s the JMR possibility too and M.Choiniere may be capable there as well. 

Is Ali Ahmed a RB or a LB?

Mo Farsi is one of the best talents to come out of the cpl. He also fits the style of fullback that John and the national team are looking for. 

I'm really hoping we get to see the likes of Farsi, Abzi, Rea and Wright in the national team at some point soon. Not to mention Waterman as well, but i think the younger guys have higher ceilings than Joel. It would be an awesome look for the league!