Mo Farsi

Reign

• 5 weeks later...

A little embarrassing if you’re Montreal but Duane Rollins and Tristan D’Amours (covers the impact) have reported that Mo not only has the chance to go to Europe, but that Montreal is not interested in him. It was reported that 2 MLS teams liked him, id imagine that it’s Toronto and the Vancouver Canadians, I mean Whitecaps.

Edited by Dominic94

• 7 months later...
3 minutes ago, BigMo said:

How did he do yesterday? 

Came on in the second half.  I don't recall any significant contributions, but he did okay. Lots of battles with Petrasso. Would have to say Abzi looked much better, at least yesterday he did.

• 4 months later...

I didn't watch as much of the 2nd half of the season, but from most accounts, he did slow down a little. Not quite as dominant going forward as he showed at the beginning. I'm hopeful though - it would be a good precedent for young CPLers, and I think Farsi still has the best case for a move.

A big part of the CPL's existence is the idea that there really are guys slipping through the cracks., and if I'm gonna believe that, I wanna start seeing a pipeline into our MLS teams - at least as the first step. I will be very whelmed by a Novak/Brown type move into the Portuguese third tier or wherever. 

Edited by PiedPilko

9 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

He should be able to secure a move to a higher level.

If he's Europe-bound surely he can get a contract in Germanies' D4 maybe with some luck D3 or Spanish D4/D3, unless he has a EU-passport in which case a new club will be easier to find. 

13 hours ago, Ansem said:

Losing him for nothing is definitely on the club... Gotta be better than that

If Farsi wanted to test the waters with Europe or MLS there is nothing Cavalry could have done. It would have been stupid for them to sit him because he wouldn't sign long term. They likely would not have gotten a transfer fee from MLS or Europe either. What could they have done?

3 hours ago, Ruffian said:

If Farsi wanted to test the waters with Europe or MLS there is nothing Cavalry could have done. It would have been stupid for them to sit him because he wouldn't sign long term. They likely would not have gotten a transfer fee from MLS or Europe either. What could they have done?

That's not the point I was making - the club should not be losing talents like that for nothing. They need longer deals or should have resigned him earlier when they saw how good he was or (can't believe I'm saying that) more optional years

53 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Should have at the very least signed him on a 2 year deal at the end of last year or a 1+1

Bingo - they tried way too late to get him to sign a deal

7 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Getting MLS clubs to pay fees for lower division plays is a rare accomplishment, Farsi on a free makes him way more appealing.

The fee is low enough that most clubs won't mind - like Montreal & Waterman

12 minutes ago, Ansem said:

That's not the point I was making - the club should not be losing talents like that for nothing. They need longer deals or should have resigned him earlier when they saw how good he was or (can't believe I'm saying that) more optional years

Bingo - they tried way too late to get him to sign a deal

The fee is low enough that most clubs won't mind - like Montreal & Waterman

I think CPL is still finding its feet when it comes to contracts and transfers.  The reality of their financial situation is that they can’t sign players to really long term contracts - from a player perspective there is very little incentive to sign onto a 4 or 5 year contract that is measured in the tens of thousands of $$ per year (especially if you are young and in the upper tier of CPL talent).  You would just sign a shorter contract elsewhere knowing that you will be more marketable to bigger teams on a free - as in Mo’s case.  Until the league generates enough revenue to offer wages enticing enough to warrant players signing long term contracts, it seems likely that this will continue to happen.  

On the bright side, any successful moves from CPL to bigger leagues will highlight the quality in the league and pace the way for future transfers.  But we are still in the relatively early stages of that process.   

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

The reality of their financial situation is that they can’t sign players to really long term contracts ...

The reality of the situation is that they are going to have to do it if they want to be a viable player in the transfer market. If they don't then they are shooting themselves in the foot in terms of league-wide economic stability. If teams at this level cannot "sell-on" players, the league will have a hard time surviving. 

50 minutes ago, ted said:

The reality of the situation is that they are going to have to do it if they want to be a viable player in the transfer market. If they don't then they are shooting themselves in the foot in terms of league-wide economic stability. If teams at this level cannot "sell-on" players, the league will have a hard time surviving. 

I get the rationale.  I just think it is hard to do with the wages on offer for a young player that has talent and pro aspirations.   It’s not like CPL is paying beg fees to get these players in and then losing money - they just aren’t in a position to turn it into a revenue stream quite yet.